CrazyBoards.org

is it weird to really enjoy random pain?

I guess i can say ive liked certain types of pain and a certain amount of pain sometimes for a long time.

Its like sometimes when im at work i go fast enough to get exhausted and my chest will feel stiff and painful, sometimes more than a little pain, and i will just bask in it and enjoy it like its glory

Its like to the point where im thanking god for it even, which probably sounds really weird.

I know normally pain should be something to be bothered by, but for me pain that is bothersome would have to be extreme pain, otherwise I'm not phased

I might be wrong . Many people in here do kickboxing and martial arts. I work out with my marine buddies and other people run walk and rock climb and white water rafting which all cause some level of pain

so no to your question  I don't think it's weird to really enjoy random pain 

BUT this could be a sign of going down the wrong road of intentionally hurting yourself ...... That's different

6 hours ago, JustDucky said:

I might be wrong . Many people in here do kickboxing and martial arts. I work out with my marine buddies and other people run walk and rock climb and white water rafting which all cause some level of pain

so no to your question  I don't think it's weird to really enjoy random pain 

BUT this could be a sign of going down the wrong road of intentionally hurting yourself ...... That's different

Well i used to cut myself, but i haven't in like 5 years 

I enjoy cycling....I enjoy cycling much more when my legs are screaming and I feel like I may vomit whilst climbing hills. I also do 20 minutes of HIIT 3 times per week and at the end of the session I am in pain...both physical and sometimes mental as well. I enjoy the sensation of being on the cusp of blacking out some days.

In saying this.....I don't get into pain in a sexual context at all. Whatever floats one's boat I guess.

Edited by sprocket

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy pain when it's controlled.

Being Dyspraxic I have trouble processing pain, have a severely high tolerance of it, as well have trouble feeling where my body is (when I close my eyes I have a hard time telling what kind and where the pain is). One reason I enjoy getting piercings and tattoos is because the pain in that specific place helps me become more body aware, even just for that moment.

I used to SH as a teenager but used it to become emotionally aware because of depression/emotional numbness. That was well over 10 years ago.

Pain increases endorphin's. That natural chemical in our brains that gives us a rush of satisfaction. And when you have a board full of crazy people with depression, emotional bluntness, underdeveloped lobes, and all the other bran cooties that make our brains and bodies separate entities then I think seeking pain to feel an increase of awareness/satisfaction/physical bliss is normal to some extent.

I do think this sort of thing can get out of hand if it isn't watched. But I also think there is nothing to be ashamed about, and telling your Pdoc to help you not cross over the line is a good idea.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am the opposite. I hate pain, and even the smallest bit of pain hurts me a lot and if it catches me off guard, like bumping my leg or arm on something, I get angry as my reaction. if I am expecting the pain to come, I am a weanie and a wimp and I whine or complain. As a kid my tolerance for pain was so high; as an adult I am weak-sauce. I *wish* I liked it, then maybe I could tolerate it more.

• 4 weeks later...

Lets stop acting like innocent minded kids: S+M or BDSM have always been popular! I dont want to go searching for it, but Im sure if you look up the history you'll find it goes back at least 100 years.
I actually find it weirder when people have zero tolerance for pain. What have you been doing all your life that you never got hurt?

In a non sexual context - I sometimes fine pain helpful to clear my mind as others say. Only pinches or prods though.
I had a friend who believed in picking a pressure point and subtly manipulating it when you are under social pressure to trick your body into responding better. Hasn't really work for me but I do go back to it sometimes.

Its tough to know when it turns into self harm.
I used to punch myself a lot when I was depressed as a young child (under 10). I did it because I thought 'I deserve this'. But I was very unhappy and would not say this is normal or healthy behaviour.
The best advantage was I grew up as a teen and adult never really ever feeling much pain whenever someone thought I was a good target for bullying/fighting. 

I don't like cutting. I think if you are cutting yourself its a problem. Even if you are doing it for the 'pleasure' and 'release' through feeling pain. 

1 hour ago, StarCrazy said:

Lets stop acting like innocent minded kids: S+M or BDSM have always been popular! I dont want to go searching for it, but Im sure if you look up the history you'll find it goes back at least 100 years.
I actually find it weirder when people have zero tolerance for pain. What have you been doing all your life that you never got hurt?

In a non sexual context - I sometimes fine pain helpful to clear my mind as others say. Only pinches or prods though.
I had a friend who believed in picking a pressure point and subtly manipulating it when you are under social pressure to trick your body into responding better. Hasn't really work for me but I do go back to it sometimes.

Its tough to know when it turns into self harm.
I used to punch myself a lot when I was depressed as a young child (under 10). I did it because I thought 'I deserve this'. But I was very unhappy and would not say this is normal or healthy behaviour.
The best advantage was I grew up as a teen and adult never really ever feeling much pain whenever someone thought I was a good target for bullying/fighting. 

I don't like cutting. I think if you are cutting yourself its a problem. Even if you are doing it for the 'pleasure' and 'release' through feeling pain. 

I never really know sometimes why i am in pain besides that it always seems to happen at work; but i guess i feel its better that i enjoy the random pain than to let it make me feel miserable; unless its something that lasts way too; in which case it will make me feel miserable.

I used to really love cutting when i got really depressed or even was manic and felt like i wanted to cut to calm down.

But i simply almost never think of cutting anymore and i haven't cut in quite a while (probably at least 5 years now)