CrazyBoards.org

When do you experience psychosis?

Most of the things I've read say that when bipolar people experience psychosis it's usually while they're manic, and that it's usually delusions of grandeur. Personally, I'm psychotic pretty much 100% of the time, and I'm usually in a mixed episode all the time. I don't really have separate episodes.  And while I do have some delusions of grandeur, most are paranoid delusions.

so what about you? When do you experience psychosis?

I experience psychosis both up and down. When manic I usually have religious delusions and paranoia and hallucinations. When depressed I tend to have delusions that require me to hurt myself. Typically I have very clearly defined episodes - manic euphoria and depression - but I occasionally have mild, "harmless" hallucinations in between episodes. 

I experience psychosis when I am off of meds, when I have a lack of sleep (more than 1-2 days), and with lots of stress.  Any mixture of those makes things even worse.

And for me, these things I said above, when those happen, that is when I become psychotic, not the other way around.  The hallucinations/delusions, etc happen before the hypo/mania comes, for me at least.

I apparently have them in and out of mood states. Usually my psychosis is in the form of paranoid delusions too. I have had delusions of grandeur, though. I am most likely to have my delusions when I'm in a mixed state, but lately I've been having delusions and hallucinations outside of an episode.