CrazyBoards.org

Pain meds for oral surgery - but with ADs and AX?

Short story - treatment resistant depression + evening anxiety + chronic insomnia + anorexia & self-harm. Had the Gene-Sight test done because I've been through more antidepressants than I can count, and I had some nasty side effects (serotonin syndrome from interaction with my migraine med, panic attack because I mixed up my klonopin with an old bottle of citalopram). Because of that, pdoc has me on 50mg pristiq, 450mg wellbutrin, 30mg vyvanse 2x/d, then 1mg klonopin early evening and later evening, followed by 10mg Ambien at bedtime. It's working ok, but now I have to have oral surgery next week and I'm freaking out, because for whatever reason, with every procedure I've had done, I've always had more pain and more breakthrough pain than the docs plan. AGAIN my oral surgeon said "It really should be no big deal," and I told him that for me, it REALLY is. When I say more pain, I mean writhing in agony. For whatever reason, I don't have the mojo to call the docs when it happens, or it happens on the weekend, or whatever. I've had Vicodin and Perocet, and they've worked ok for me in the past. My Gene-Sight shows that tramadol & codeine have no effect for me - shocker, I found that out 10 years ago through unpleasant experiences - and that the oxy mixes and straight oxy are so-so. 

I thought about asking for a Fentanyl patch but then found out it affects serotonin levels and is contraindicated for pristiq. Told my oral doc this and he said he'd look into this. I don't see my pdoc until the end of the month but when I asked her via email, she was just like "???"

Thoughts/suggestions? Surgery is next Thursday and I'm already freaking.

What type of oral surgery are you having? 

I've had 4 wisdom teeth out, 2 skin grafts (on my gums because of recession) ... those are the main ones that stick out in my head. 

For the wisdom teeth, I was under general anesthesia, and given tylenol with codeine to bring home. 

When I had the gum grafts, they just stuck a few needles full of novacaine in many places and I could not feel a thing.  For pain meds after the procedure, I wasn't giving anything.  Liquid tylenol was all there was because it was impossible to swallow anything like a pill (back then I wasn't medicated like I am now.  I think the only thing I was on was prozac).

I hope the surgery goes well.

What about all the synthetic versions of codeine ? Is  it just codeine or all the pain meds derived from it ? Like percocet,oxycodone, hydrocodone, ect. They are all slight changes in the molecular structure of codeine.

I have the problem of not speaking up enough when its pain related because everyone seems so freaked out about narcotics and such.  When I had cancer surgery was maybe the one time I really spoke up.  Sadly nothing they could pump into me (Short of killing me) did anything but... I was bleeding into the gut which I guess is a 9.8 on the pain-o-meter.

Speak up.  Ask ahead of time.  Don't let them send you home without some kind of emergency plan.  They don't need to prescribe a bottle full of the stuff but... OMG that weekend in pain thing?  Been there and don't EVER want that to happen again. 

I know you said Tramadol has no effect for you, but just a word of warning about Tramadol. Tramadol can increase the risk of serotonin syndrome when mixed with certain SSRIs. Always be sure that your prescribing doctor knows all the meds you are taking.

• 1 month later...

Thanks all - I wound up with Percocet and Advil plus an anti-inflammatory/steroidal for the first 2 days. Felt awful for about 3-4 days, p-doc discontinued vyvanse during that time since I wasn't having to think, and it would increase the pain. Also didn't take p-drugs on day of surgery per p-doc. Continued jaw pain managed with Advil for 2 weeks. So glad I had my wisdom teeth out - just wish I'd done it 27 years earlier! And JT07 - yes, I always make sure they have the full list, as my PCP accidentally scripted Imitrex for me last year and caused a huge serotonin crisis which took about one month to resolve fully. Thank God I had plenty of klonopin to help come down from it. I can say that the pain was worse than a kidney stone while pregnant, and worse than labor!

FWIW, I was 30-something when I finally had my 2-3 wisdom teeth taken out by an oral surgeon and I had no pain afterwards. I spoke up earlier in this thread but didn't mention the age I had it done. I was supposed to get them out when I was younger but I kept putting it off.

• Like 1

I had all 4 taken out at once, had some codeine for pain, but only enough for short term.  Never anything like percocet or steroids.  When I got dry socket I did not need pain meds for it.

ETA:  The reason for no pain meds with dry socket was because the DR took a small strip of some sort of cloth soaked in a med that completely numbed it from the pain, then he took that strip and put it inside the hole where the dry socket was.  He had to change it one time, then after that he took it out and I was fine.

Edited by melissaw72