CrazyBoards.org

Naltrexone failed to control my drinking--now what?

I was lucky enough to be able to try naltexone to see if it would at least help moderate my drinking.  While it seemed to help at first, over time the amount of drinks creeped back up to their old level (I usually have 2-4 cocktails a day now).

So now pdoc is talking Antabuse or a 3-day detox program.  Do either of these seem appropriate for a drinking problem that has lasted less than a year?  I know she's just trying to help, but it seems like overkill at this point.  Plus both of those methods require total and permanent abstention from drinking.  I don't think it's realistic for me to abstain from booze for the rest of my life, if I'm being honest with myself.  Maybe I just haven't hit the "rock bottom" yet that will truly make me take these options seriously.

Thoughts?

I'm already in an awesome DBT program that I feel is pretty intensive--group once a week, individual therapy once a week, pdoc visits every 2-4 weeks.  Is that the kind of program you meant, Wooster?  Or did you mean something more booze-specific?

I'm still cycling through the DBT modules for the first time, and will cycle through them once more.  It takes about a year to complete and I'm about 5 months in.  I do have skills but I can be kind of stubborn and willfull about not using them--I need to work on my willingness to embrace and utilize the techniques I've learned.  I just quit pot AND my pdoc is taking me off Xanax completely at the same time.  I'm thinking maybe I need to put the booze issue on the backburner until I get those things sorted out.

I took naltrexone for a different reason, but it made me throw up when I drank. I thought it may do that with everyone. I don't take it now.

what do you want to accomplish as far as moderating goes? I like Wooster's idea of combining the naltrexone with another plan that would help you.  There are recovery programs, like SMART, that don't require abstaining completely.

If you are going to stop drinking entirely I would recommend the detox, just to be safe while you withdraw.

3 minutes ago, philosophin said:

I'm already in an awesome DBT program that I feel is pretty intensive--group once a week, individual therapy once a week, pdoc visits every 2-4 weeks.  Is that the kind of program you meant, Wooster?  Or did you mean something more booze-specific?

I'm still cycling through the DBT modules for the first time, and will cycle through them once more.  It takes about a year to complete and I'm about 5 months in.  I do have skills but I can be kind of stubborn and willfull about not using them--I need to work on my willingness to embrace and utilize the techniques I've learned.  I just quit pot AND my pdoc is taking me off Xanax completely at the same time.  I'm thinking maybe I need to put the booze issue on the backburner until I get those things sorted out.

I was writing while you posted. Going off Xanax and alcohol at the same time sounds really rough. I am not sure what I would do. 

I think your doc's concern is well placed.  You're mixing stuff that 'should' be slowing down your brain.  Apparently not working, and any alcohol and benzo mix is inherently dangerous.  A medication adjustment may be in order.  But of equal importance are your therapy defeating behaviors.  Are you addressing these in your 1:1 sessions?  You are at a very important phase of your recovery.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been 10 days of abstinence from booze and my weight is already down 5 pounds!  I'm excited to see how much weight I'll lose just from dropping alcohol. Not only are cocktails (my preferred imbibe) loaded with calories, I feel like alcohol consumption leads to sh!tty eating habits.  I definitely haven't been eating as much since I stopped drinking.

*edit*  Yeah I think it's appetite loss. I've lost 9 lbs in 2 weeks...not that I'm complaining.  I needed to lose that weight.  I just wish food didn't make me gag. 

Edited by philosophin