CrazyBoards.org

My iPad Air died. Is the kindle fire a good replacement?

I'm so sick and disgusted with Apple products. This iPad hasn't lasted three years even. And my iPhone sucks too. I recently freed my music from iTunes too. I'm using my small and old kindle. I'm considering saving up for a new kindle. Is the kindle fire a good tablet to purchase? I'm considering the larger sized one as I'm used to a 9.7" iPad.

It depends on what you want to do with it.  Kindles are designed to be used to consume Amazon content.  They don't use the Google Play Store.  You have to get all your aps from Amazon.  There is no integration with Google services like there is with Android.  They do have a web browser and most of the major apps are available.  I have one and often spend several hours a day in bed with it.  The $50 ones are absurdly good deals.  They are not as full featured as Apple and Android tablets though.

Amazon puts a poison pill in the apps from their app store. If you don't connect to wi-fi within a month all your apps stop working and it tells you that you have to download them again. I soured on Amazon because of this.  I did install a CyanogenMod ROM on my Kindle, and now I have a pretty decent Android tablet. Installing new ROMs on the Kindle is not for the squeamish and has a pretty steep learning curve, and you can brick your device very easily.

I don't have Wi-Fi at home plus I don't use my tablet all the time. Sometimes I go for more than a month without using it and then I have to download all the apps again. I just think it's chicken crap to include this poison pill, Google Play store doesn't do that.

i'd give Android a try over Amazon. more freedom and flexibility, more variety of hardware. in some cases, cheaper prices. if you already use Google, it should be nice. do some research on Android tablets, there are some mighty nice ones.

they might last you more than 3 years, though unlikely. in my experience, everything Apple has lasted me a lot longer than anything else.

On August 6, 2016 at 1:43 PM, Wonderful.Cheese said:

I'm so sick and disgusted with Apple products. This iPad hasn't lasted three years even. And my iPhone sucks too. I recently freed my music from iTunes too. I'm using my small and old kindle. I'm considering saving up for a new kindle. Is the kindle fire a good tablet to purchase? I'm considering the larger sized one as I'm used to a 9.7" iPad.

What is the nature of your frustration?  In my experience, hardware failures are exceeding rare, especially with Apple  products. But Apple can be lazy fixing bugs, unfortunately.  You may be able to fix things with a software restore of some type. I'd certainly try that before buying new hardware, in any case.

Edited by Flash

Thanks everyone for the knowledgeable help!! I appreciate it!

I went with a kindle. I talked to a guy at an electronics store too and I said I was not sure what type to get and he worked for Samsung but said that if I was used to kindles I should stick with that probably. Which I think is reasonable. 

I don't know how to do anything fancy with tablets or phones so it's just very basic use. (A few app games and Internet and reading)

I'm happy with it and so far so good. The battery life isn't as good as Apple though. That's really my only dislike about it.

15 hours ago, Flash said:

What is the nature of your frustration?  In my experience, hardware failures are exceeding rare, especially with Apple  products. But Apple can be lazy fixing bugs, unfortunately.  You may be able to fix things with a software restore of some type. I'd certainly try that before buying new hardware, in any case.

Well my iPhone had a hardware issue and now I have a refurbished one after only having the new one for 3 months. Not too happy with that.

Now apparently the refurbished one has "software issues" where my phone can't access the call button and freezes. I have been to Verizon 3 times with this issue and they keep saying it's an app causing it. I don't have any weird apps though. 

I did so many restores on my iPad (also iPhone). It didn't do anything. It would just go black and then keep restarting. Same thing happened to my 4S iPhone. 

Sorry for venting !!!

4 hours ago, Wonderful.Cheese said:

Well my iPhone had a hardware issue and now I have a refurbished one after only having the new one for 3 months. Not too happy with that.

Now apparently the refurbished one has "software issues" where my phone can't access the call button and freezes. I have been to Verizon 3 times with this issue and they keep saying it's an app causing it. I don't have any weird apps though. 

I did so many restores on my iPad (also iPhone). It didn't do anything. It would just go black and then keep restarting. Same thing happened to my 4S iPhone. 

Sorry for venting !!!

Sorry you are having these issues. I have been using Apple computers For nearly 40 years, and the only thing that ever failed on me was a floppy disk drive, back in 1985. But I suppose for every story like mine, there's bound to be a story like yours, especially considering how many millions of devices they make nowadays. If it's a software issue, Wiping the device (Apple or not) and reinstalling a clean version of the OS invariably fixes things. Unfortunately, Apple has disabled the ability to revert to an earlier version of iOS in many instances. I despise that. Every computing device should have a method of reverting to at least the original factory settings, IMO. 

• 5 months later...