Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

hello. i need some advice, please, people's experiences and such. not looking for prescriptions, just experiences.

i am recovering from a depressive episode and need med advice, what can I try and suggest to my pdoc? my current meds are here to stay (them and my diagnosis in sig) i feel like i just need an add-on for energy and actual depression, because cipralex/lexapro/escitalopram is only for anxiety, doesn't do shit for depression.

mood is almost under control, just having the weepies and ZERO ENERGY. i don't sleep as much as i used to but all i do is mope around the house.

i would try Abilify, i feel like it helped before but i really should be on only one neuroleptic. akathisia, QT intervals and such. already on haldol.

Norepinephrine meds... make me angry. i am already chronically angry from being borderline, is why i take haldol actually.

Serotonin already taken care of by escitalopram and lithium, docs won't add anything else serotonergic for fear of SSyndrome.

ideas? thank you.

 

ETA: Sorry I meant to post this in Antidepressants.

ETA2: PS: does lamictal even do anything for anyone anymore?

Edited by domovoi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lamictal has worked for me for years.  Helps calm my head down and my moods are all over the place (for the most part.

3 hours ago, domovoi said:

i would try Abilify, i feel like it helped before but i really should be on only one neuroleptic.

There aren't any rules that say a person should be on only one of anything. 

Have you tried wellbutrin?  It might help with the zero energy.

I'm sorry I don't have any more advice right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Abilify is one of the weaker antipsychotics, unlikely to cause movement disorders (TD, dystonia) due to it's low blockage of dopamine. Particularly at lower doses adding it to a regimen that already has an antipsychotic in it should be OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I concur that low-dose Abilify/Rexulti might be worth looking into.  Not sure what other meds could give you a boost...

Also, (please don't hate me for asking) wondering if you're able to work in a bit of exercise?  An exercise routine could help with energy and mood in the long term.  I know it can feel impossible to move when depressed and lethargic, but every teeny-tiny bit counts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lifequake said:

I concur that low-dose Abilify/Rexulti might be worth looking into.  Not sure what other meds could give you a boost...

Also, (please don't hate me for asking) wondering if you're able to work in a bit of exercise?  An exercise routine could help with energy and mood in the long term.  I know it can feel impossible to move when depressed and lethargic, but every teeny-tiny bit counts.

i go for walks a lot... that's about as much as i can do right now. i have a stationary bike so i'm hoping to start on that soon, too. i like yoga sometimes. it's just so damn hard to get out of the house to do something goal-oriented..

thank you all for your replies i think i'll look into abilify or wellbutrin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, domovoi said:

i go for walks a lot... that's about as much as i can do right now. i have a stationary bike so i'm hoping to start on that soon, too. i like yoga sometimes. it's just so damn hard to get out of the house to do something goal-oriented..

thank you all for your replies i think i'll look into abilify or wellbutrin

Walks are fantastic!  Glad to hear you're still able to get moving.  I hope your doc has some good med ideas for you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have found something that really interests me, and I am throwing myself into it. I find that I'm not nearly as tired when I'm working at it and being productive than when I am doing nothing or just playing games or watching TV. Time also goes faster.

You mentioned Abilify. I must admit that Abilify does give me energy and stokes my interest and motivation. But if you can only be on one neuroleptic than you have to be on the one that controls your symptoms. But Abilify is a great med.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Abilify and Wellbutrin are the two biggest activating antidepressants I've stumbled across (though weirdly not for everyone).  That said, lamictal has yanked me out of my past two depressive episodes.  I don't know if you asked because you are already on it or because you are considering it (I'm on my phone so i can't see your signature).  If it's that you aren't taking it and wonder if it will help, it's at least a reasonable guess--it helps a fair number, including many on here.  That said, the titration is long and can be rocky.  If you're asking because you are taking it and wondering if it's doing anything, I feel like that's a harder call to make.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

I have found something that really interests me, and I am throwing myself into it. I find that I'm not nearly as tired when I'm working at it and being productive than when I am doing nothing or just playing games or watching TV. Time also goes faster.

You mentioned Abilify. I must admit that Abilify does give me energy and stokes my interest and motivation. But if you can only be on one neuroleptic than you have to be on the one that controls your symptoms. But Abilify is a great med.

Something I've done, bought a lounger chair, one of those cool zero gravity ones. Been laying in the sun when it's not raining and it's lifting my mood. Not sure if it's helping with energy. But I have to hope it will if I keep up with it. I second the wellbutrin thought though, I am back on abilify and it's helping. But wellbutrin might be a good thing for you too. Talk to your pdoc and ask about it. Unless you have experience with it already and it's not a good mix for you. 

Like jt said, hobbies. I find that when I am engaged in one I am feeling good, and not low energy. Reading is a low energy hobby though, so that one isn't one that grabs me and gets me feeling good like polishing my nails or nail art did. Photography is a good one, or sewing. :D Hope you are able to work something out. Feeling low energy sucks. Especially coupled with depression. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...