Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

I've just started on gabapentin for chronic pain and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of side effects and efficacy. Is this something that will start to releive pain right away? Or do I need to wait a few weeks like an antidepressant? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, cct said:

I've just started on gabapentin for chronic pain and I'm wondering what to expect in terms of side effects and efficacy. Is this something that will start to releive pain right away? Or do I need to wait a few weeks like an antidepressant? 

My experience with neurontin ... I didn't take neurontin for pain; took it as a seizure med way back when.

I never had seizures while on it, and eventually I was weaned off at 4,000 mg/day.  Don't remember why, but I never had seizures after being off of it either.  Re: pain, I didn't notice that it helped for anything.  And I had a bad back then.  So it didn't minimize pain for me.

I hope the med works for you and that you don't have side effects.  Many people here on CB have had experience with it ... hopefully they'll chime in to answer your question!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It depends on what kind of pain you have. If your pain is neuropathic then it should work. For other types of pain it's not going to work so well. I took it for MI reasons, and the only side effects I got were some dizziness and a little tiredness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, jt07 said:

It depends on what kind of pain you have. If your pain is neuropathic then it should work. For other types of pain it's not going to work so well. I took it for MI reasons, and the only side effects I got were some dizziness and a little tiredness.

My diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I don't know if that's technically neuropathic, but afaik gabapentin has been successful at treating it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fibromyalgia.. Can mean a lot of things. There are a lot of theories floating about about what causes it; in practice it's a "These symptoms seem to go together a lot, but we don't know why." label. As such, there's unfortunately a lot of stigma among Drs. Gabapentin is something that people with fibro tend to always get stuck on; I've known.. 3, have heard awful-to-tolerable side-effects, heavy withdrawal symptoms and no change in pain. But 3 is not a large enough sample size for a study, so take that as you will. Apparently it works on a significant enough amount of fibro people that it's the first-line drug. But I'm glad that I dodged the bullet on it, all the same (GP wrote referral to pain clinic specifically stating that our pain doesn't appear neuropathic, or we'd have to have the same)

Tri

Edited by WinterTidings
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, cct said:

My diagnosis is fibromyalgia. I don't know if that's technically neuropathic, but afaik gabapentin has been successful at treating it. 

If the neurontin doesn't work (or isn't working?) ... have you tried cymbalta or lyrica for the fibro?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been getting loose stools from it last couple of days since we upped the dose. If I was working I'd be annoyed by that, but since I'm already stuck at home with a bathroom across the hall from my room, I'm ok with it (as long as it's temporary and gets less bad as my body gets used to the medicine). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cct said:

I've been getting loose stools from it last couple of days since we upped the dose. If I was working I'd be annoyed by that, but since I'm already stuck at home with a bathroom across the hall from my room, I'm ok with it (as long as it's temporary and gets less bad as my body gets used to the medicine). 

I've had the same problem, first when I started at 900mg, and then more so when pdoc upped the dose to 1200mg/day.  She told me to try probiotics, and I've been taking one rather awfully called "classic bowel support".  The need to go rushing to the bathroom several times over every morning has definitely lessened, but I've no idea if that's because I'm adjusting to the gabapentin increase after 2 weeks, or because the probiotics are helping.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/9/2016 at 11:51 PM, MiaB said:

I've had the same problem, first when I started at 900mg, and then more so when pdoc upped the dose to 1200mg/day.  She told me to try probiotics, and I've been taking one rather awfully called "classic bowel support".  The need to go rushing to the bathroom several times over every morning has definitely lessened, but I've no idea if that's because I'm adjusting to the gabapentin increase after 2 weeks, or because the probiotics are helping.

Mine seems to have subsided after a few days so it may just be your body, but I'm sure the probiotics help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow really? That is one side effect I didn't get in my experiences with gabapentin. I don't want to turn anyone off it, but mine was a sexual side effect. It helped me with anxiety in addition to pain. However 300 mg wasn't really effective for the nerve pain I've had going on. 1500 mg a day split up in 2 caps of 300 mgs twice a day and one 300 mg cap at lunch is working for me to tone it down significantly. Best of luck cct. Pain sucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Duelist said:

Wow really? That is one side effect I didn't get in my experiences with gabapentin. I don't want to turn anyone off it, but mine was a sexual side effect. It helped me with anxiety in addition to pain. However 300 mg wasn't really effective for the nerve pain I've had going on. 1500 mg a day split up in 2 caps of 300 mgs twice a day and one 300 mg cap at lunch is working for me to tone it down significantly. Best of luck cct. Pain sucks.

Thanks @Duelist I'm on 3x 300mg right now. It's definitely helping right now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That was where I was for over two years IIRC and that was a good level. Just saw a new ortho today and learned I have OA (osteoarthritis) in my basal joint in my thumb. So it's not all nerve pain. At any rate. I am really glad you're feeling good pain relief a the 300 mg dose 3 x's a day. That's great to hear cct. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...