CrazyBoards.org

Psychological Assessment

Hi all!

I'm thinking about asking my pdoc about psychological testing for my ADHD diagnosis. I do not focus well/at all despite being on a lot of Adderall (60mg). I was tested as a teenager by 2 psychologists who both found I had ADHD Inattentive. That was well before my depression and OCD diagnosis. I wonder if something else is going on, a different diagnosis, that could be causing the inattention, and treating ADHD is the wrong thing to treat.

I'm also on a lot of Rx for depression and OCD, which work and I don't think I can stop/reduce. That said, I take Abilify 20mg/day and wonder if that is negating the effect of the Adderall.

I can't really recall what the testing I had was like, other than long and boring. So I guess my questions are:

What's the testing like?

Is it reasonable to think the testing could determine whether it's truly ADHD or something different?

Thanks!

I don't have ADHD so I can't really comment on that but I had ADHD like symptoms from OCD with like the inattention and being distractible from depression and hypomania, I don't think its unreasonable to ask for testing

Are you doubting the ADHD  diagnosis or just think these issues are separate? 

I am not sure I doubt the ADHD DX per se, I don't think it's categorically wrong.

I guess I wonder, is there some other issue going on that we haven't uncovered that is compounding the ADHD. Maybe the ADHD like symptoms that I'm currently experiencing are actually OCD and/or depression related?

I guess I'd like the certainty. I once was offered testing by a student therapist. I declined not thinking she'd do it correctly (I ultimately speed setting her.)

Just now, WhoMe? said:

I am not sure I doubt the ADHD DX per se, I don't think it's categorically wrong.

I guess I wonder, is there some other issue going on that we haven't uncovered that is compounding the ADHD. Maybe the ADHD like symptoms that I'm currently experiencing are actually OCD and/or depression related?

I guess I'd like the certainty. I once was offered testing by a student therapist. I declined not thinking she'd do it correctly (I ultimately speed setting her.)

well it certainly can't hurt to talk to your pdoc about this

Did the adderall not ever help or has it stopped working? perhaps you could try another stimulant if it stopped working?

either way I'd definitely talk to your pdoc