CrazyBoards.org

I've run into some very serious sleep problems recently, which has led to psychosis and mania. I've pretty much exhausted almost all of the sleep med options, including many different combinations of drugs, but Pdoc suggested Risperdal. I've never taken it before. Has anyone here had good luck with it for sleep? What were the side effects? I've heard of people having permanent or semi-permanent sexual dysfunction on this med, so it scares me a bit. Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

I took it for sleep at 1-2mg.  The only downsides I remember are weight gain (probably almost obvious) and some level of drowsiness the next day (more at the higher dose).  It was probably the first (and possibly the only) where I initially felt rested the next morning.  Sadly, that went away. 

I was on 2-3mg for several years, for psychosis and obsessive thoughts. It did relax me a bit, taking it at night, but only lasted a couple hours, then I'd toss and turn the rest of the night.

I've had fairly good luck recently with hydroxyzine, 100mg. Not a solid night's sleep, but a little better.

As far as sex, well, my marriage has been strained the past few years, so I've not really noticed.

Risperdal is one of those meds that people have different reactions to. Some people are sedated by it. For me, it was neutral. I mean, I could have been taking a placebo because I really got no side effects from it up to 4 mg which is where I topped out. In the beginning, it actually caused early awakening for me which I did not complain about because I sleep too much due to my depression. So if you are planning to use Risperdal for sleep then certainly YMMV.

I was having trouble sleeping before I was taking risperidone but now I have no problem. I get to bed at an reasonable hour and I sleep for the best part of 9 and a half hours. I get very little in terms of side effects, I do sometime have problems with feeling tired during the day but that's not all the time. I do notice though that my eye get very heavy when I'm trying to get to sleep, somewhat uncomfortably but it doesn't stop me from sleeping.

Have you tried seroquel for sleep? Does your zyprexa work for sleep?

Risperdal didn't help me come down from a manic episode. I don't think I got more than 4 hours ever while on it. I was taking I think 6 mg at least at one point. No sexual dysfunction for me (outside of the usual that is). 

No real side effects for me. I was pretty hungry on it but didn't gain weight. Ymmv. I hope it helps!!! Sleep issues suck. 

Seroquel by itself gives me an unbearable hangover. When I combined it with Ambien CR a couple years ago, I did sleep, but the hangover was even much worse, to the point where I felt considerably worse having taken it than if I hadn't slept at all. I finally settled on Remeron plus Ambien CR back then, but that isn't working for me now. Zyprexa will get me to sleep the first night I take it, but not so much after that. I tried 1 mg Risperdal last night, and I got a tiny bit of sleep. I will try a double dose tonight and see if that works better. Pdoc said I could go as high as 4 mg right now.

I possibly should have tossed this on--don't know if it matters or not--but I was taking it before the land of hypomania/mania and psychosis hit.  So although it did help with sleep for a while at a fairly low dose (while it lasted), I wasn't combating either of those two problems at the time.  I'm not sure if it would have the same impact now that my brain has decided to have a fit.  

All I can say is that I sleep much better on the days I take Ritalin. Not exactly sure what's up with that, but it seems to be a real effect. And during the day, I have absolutely no guarantee that Ritalin will stimulate me. It could just as well put me to sleep. Oddly, I cannot predict on a certain day whether it will stimulate me or tire me out.

16 hours ago, Flash said:

Risperdal appears to be a dud. I will bump up another mg, to 4 mg tonight. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll try Ritalin tomorrow (oddly, that made me sleep well in the past). 

Sorry to hear this flash! I hope either the Risperdal increase works or that Ritalin will help.

It's funny how we all are so different in our responses to meds! Ritalin caused an increase in a manic episode for me. I barely slept while on it. I took if briefly for sleep disorders. I'm glad it works for you to sleep better! I hope you get some much needed rest soon!!