CrazyBoards.org

Paranoia

I am writing because I seem to be really very paranoid..and I mean all the time. I feel if someone looks at me in a store, they are up to something..that someone following me out of a store is going to rob me or hurt me..co-workers plotting to fire me by conspring against me. Hang up calls really get to me.

Is this common for Bipolar and do many of you have it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sometims i find myself very hyperaware of Everything. in social situations, this can mean i am really awkward and picking up on subtexts that throw people off, whether they are real or not, i have no clue.

in the grocery store, or some other place with alot of strangers, this can mean feeling really really unsafe. people are watching.

at home, it weaks it's own special kind of havoc. like tonight, waking up and finding myself alone in my bed. where wifey go?? uhoh..

i don't know what it is or what it means either.

but wondering about hyper/ultra sensitivity and the connection with paranoia in BP.

PJ

Is this common for Bipolar and do many of you have it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess that yes it is pretty common. 

I am writing because I seem to be really very paranoid..and I mean all the time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha.  You have finally slipped up.  The massive government conspiracy to control your thoughts now has a lock on your position.  It is only a matter of time before they find you. 

Some BPs get paranoid.  Some don't.  The degree and frequency vary by person.  For many, it's actually within the normal range.  Ooooh. 

I'm not one of them.  I get paranoid, sometimes creepily so.  Sometimes I think I'm okay, and I am accused of being paranoid.  It's so hard to tell from inside my own head if they're joking or not. 

*sigh*

I think paranoia to the extreme you describe becomes a disorder or personality disorder in its own right. It may or may not have some correlation with bp but it nevertheless merits its own addressing if your bp has been stabilized but these paranoia symptoms persist.

I personally am paranoid in a being-cautious kind of way taken to a somewhat overwrought degree 'cause everything I do is heightened--including efforts to be reasonable.

have you tried therapy?

Me, Paranoia?

No.  My impression from people here and my readings don't indicate that a large number of BP'ers have paranioa.

However, BP and anxiety are very highly associated, and many if not most BP'ers have some level of anxiety problems.

A.M.

With me it varies.  I used to be perhaps "mildy to moderately" paranoid prior to being treated.  When my anxiety gets out of control I can get a bit paranoid now.  More fearful that something BAD is going to happen or I am BAD or I did something BAD.  I internalize a lot.  I blame myself a lot. 

But the paranoia always stems from the familiar.  I've never been made paranoid by strangers or by telephone hang ups or something like that.  There has to be some sort of relationship or personal variable involved.  Maybe that's how the anxiety component becomes interwoven for me.

Or something.

It's kind or hard to explain.

Karen

Mildly. We live on a busy street, on a corner with a stoplight. I can't stand to go out the front door to check the mail if the light's red and there's a line of cars. I literally look through the curtains til the light turns green, and the cars are moving. I dunno, I can't stand the thought of them watching me get mail, or the paper.

That's maybe the worst of it though.

Ah yes, I'm BADLY paranoid. I get the feeling that any car that turns a corner behind me is following me, and I'm always looking behind my shoulder and surveying my surroundings... I know every exit and potential hiding place in a room a few seconds after stepping into it.

Then I have the weird paranoias, like not being able to do certain things because I'm afraid dead relatives or ghosts are watching me (i.e. shower, change clothes) ;)

SSRI's help with my paranoia. Topamax has seemed to help as well as has Lexapro. I took too much Lexapro and noticed over the holidays that it sapped my motivation and made me procrastination a little more.

I think my paranoia comes from very low serotonin and GABA.

I'm more of a brave/fearless person now.

AP's? I stay away from them like the plague.

Archived