CrazyBoards.org

Does anyone on here take Depakote or Lithium and had positive experiences only with it and no side effects and if any what side effects did you have? Well I went to see my Pd. Today and he wants to put me on something new I haven't been on before like Depakote and Lithium I never been on these two ever and Am a Little scared to try anything new you know how that is? I am taking Abilify 10mg right now along with Visteril50mg and he dropped the Lexapro 10 mg I was on completely I am not depressed just manic right now so that's the reason for a sleep aid and cold pill combined I was told it was to help me sleep and for allergies and sinus problems. I am really manic right now and don't need to be in higher but need to come down at a more even level so that's the reason for dropping the Lexapro it would make me even more manic. Tonight I take 15mg of Abilify and 100mg of Visteril to help me get the needed  sleep I haven't been sleeping just buzzing around all day and all night.

I am getting ready to look up Depakote and Lithium to see what they are for and the side effects and risks and such which I am hoping there aren't any if he was to put me on one of those I mentioned.so this is my story and I am sticking to it I lost like 10 pounds taking diet pills I shouldn't of taken to begin with thye were called Garcinia Cobidia a fruit in Asia and green coffee extract or Beans but I stopped taking them after three months they made my heart race and I had chest pains and also headaches  so after I stopped taking them my chest pain went away immediately

and I am not tot ake anymore Diet pills especially if their Herbal it interefere and interacts with my abilify I am taking sos cant do it and wont take them anymore just have to lose weight the hard way now diet and exercise and drinking a lot of water and ditching soda pop especially diet soda pop like Mt dew and Diet coke is extremely unhealthy to drink and dangerous and bad for people  can even kill some if you consume a lot of it so I am stopping all diet soda pop forever and just going to switch over to plain Ice water or Iced tea unsweetened or I can put honey it honey is very good for you so I may do that instead of adding chemcials or poison in my body chemicals are in fake sweeteners and such so I am given them up too and then maybe I can lose this stubboen belly weight and leg fat and arm flab the rest of me is tight and toned not muscular just a little toned up I been lifting weights small dumb bell weights in our basement and riding  abike and walking too but I may cut out the walking too hot out and just ride my stationary bike for exercise down in our basement.

Okay, sounds like you know this now, but please don't mix diet/herbals without explicit permission from pdoc. They are many times NOT harmless.

That said, I would recommend lithium over depakote, if you're concerned about side effects. I have little, maybe a light tremor some mornings, but that eases quickly. You do have to drink a lot of water, but I have a spillproof bottle in the car, and I drink from a jug all day, and take it with me to bed at night. It's not a problem once you get used to it. Personally, I didn't like depakote.

Lastly, if vistaril doesn't help, ask pdoc about hydroxyzine, its helped much more for sleep for me.

Of course, I am NOT a Dr, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

If you are worried about weight gain ... I can just give you my experience. Depakote was the worst weight gainer of any med I have taken. I was ravenous and would eat anything that wasn't nailed down. Not everyone has that reaction so YMMV, but Depakote is really not known to be weight neutral.

Lithium is more weight-neutral than Depakote. I might have gained a pound or two of water weight on lithium, but nothing tremendous. It's an old, tried and true med.

I'm moving this to the Mood Stabilizers/Anticonvulsants board.

• Like 1

thanks for replying this weight gain bit has me scared a lot about Depakote but everyone reacts differently One person may gain weight on it others may not so I will think of Depakote maybe and then again I am no Dr. Whatever the Dr. says goes for me I am tired really of being a guinea Pig and Lab three meds he wants me try and I am scared to death to try these meds I never been on them so I don't know how my mind or Body will react to it. I don't need to gain anymore weight hell no on that I really need to lose a lot of weight that I have gained over the Years from being on psych meds of different kinds so Far Abilify was a life saver for me and if he increases the dose and that helps I really see no need in trying or adding any other med but well see the Dr. said well try Abilify15 mg Like I was on two years ago 2014 and see if it helps if not he is adding either Depakote or Lithium to what I already take.So I will hope for the best with my trusted med Abilify right now I take 10 of it and 50mg of visteril two capsules equaling 100  he said I can take either one or two at bedtime been taking two one didn't cut it. I feel sane on it its like I don't even have a Issue with Mental Illness when taking abilify been on it since 2003 and it still works so I wont quit it I will continue taking it at bedtime of course along with my vistaril for sleep.Wish me Luck with my abilify dosage increase from 10 to 15 mg.I will keep everyone posted on what my Dr says Next Month he wants to see me September the 28th at 10:45am in Xenia Ohio Tcn Behavioral Health Center.

Lithium don't you have to test your blood levels every so often to make sure their not in the toxic range that scares me too so I don't know which to choose now Depakote or Lithium and there was another he mentioned starts with a t trix something I never even heard of it but heard of the other two.

Edited by Melina Messer

Spoiler
Spoiler

Ps I drink a lot of water have been and cutting out diet coke and dt Mt dew which I love by the way but I stopped it and just been drinking lots of water and not even flavored water just ice water and tea on occasion I don't know if I should even be drinking that all Teas are Herbal so I may have to quit that too or just not drink it much at all but diet pop is bad for you and everyone from what I read its not good for diabetes,your heart,all mental disorders,Blood pressure elevation,weightgain,sugars increased metabolic increased and other probs so I would avoid it all costs now used to drink it like a fish not no more since I heard aspartame in diet soda is more harmful than good for you most people think of diet as being healthy but the reral thing is probably healthier for you than anything fake like diet is like putting poison in your mouth and drinking it down mno thanks and so is diet pills of all kinds are posion for your mind and body and heart and everything.

59 minutes ago, Flash said:

I didn't have issues with hand tremors or being thirsty on lithium, but it made me gain a lot of weight. YMMV.

what does YMMV mean?

12 hours ago, Melina Messer said:

I am getting ready to look up Depakote and Lithium to see what they are for and the side effects and risks

FWIW ... side effects for me for depakote were weight gain and also made me extremely tired and groggy.  Lithium I did not gain any weight on and did not effect my sleep.

Also keep in mind that a lot of the side effects and risks you read about on the internet are all there to cover their asses (the drug companies).  NOT saying you won't have any, just saying that I highly doubt (I'm guessing here based on experience with meds) you will have every single side effect of the meds you look up.

If you read stories on-line about people being on those meds (depakote and lithium), keep in mind that a lot of people seem to talk about the bad experiences they had with the med/s.  Not as many people talk about the good ones, at least from all I've read over the years.

• Like 1

Also Re: lithium, I developed a very rare side effect of it (nephrogenic diabetes insipidus), but when taken off of it I was fine.  I was extremely thirsty and peed a ton.  But it is really very rare, so personally I wouldn't take lithium just because of that side effect because most people don't get that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Melina Messer said:

Lithium don't you have to test your blood levels every so often to make sure their not in the toxic range that scares me too so I don't know which to choose now Depakote or Lithium and there was another he mentioned starts with a t trix something I never even heard of it but heard of the other two.

(in bold) yes, you do.  Everyone's therapeutic level is different.  Range is IIRC 0.6 -1.2 ... someone correct me if wrong.  For me it wasn't a big deal about being in the toxic range.  We started slowly and did blood levels often and I never had the toxic problem to the extent that I can remember it.

• Like 1

thanks for letting me know now I have more information to make a wise choice in case he wants to add something else to my abilify and visteril every night at bedtime I take these four pills right now I take three two visteril and one and a Half Abilify equaling 15mg But if the dose increase doesn't work than its either Lithium or Depakote for me to try.

wish me luck that just the abilify will work for me and I wont need another Mood stabilizer added to it

4 hours ago, jt07 said:

Melina, I wish you all the luck in the world that the Abilify will work for you and that you won't need another mood stabilizer. Abilify is a great med. It might just do exactly what you need.

it just might I hope so I been  on it since 2003 the Abilify5mg but now 15 I was starting to have just mania and nothing else still am  on cloud 100 or 1000 sky high random shopping impulse buying and spending money I don't have much of to begin with no depression so they dropped Lexapro I was taking he said my Dr. said it would elevate me even more on Lexapro being a antidepressant when I don't that to begin with a tall no anxiety hardly a tiny bit but nothing I cant manage so Life is awesome right now and I couldn't be any better than I am with

out not being sick at all It feels that way sometimes  like I am not even mentally ill. I go back to see my pd. September the 28th to see if this Abilify15mg will work for me and that I don't need another mood stabilizer I hope not.I just want to take less pills and not be overloaded with a bunch of meds that may make me worse than I am I am Scared of Trying anything

new and Different from what I am used to taking Depakote know nothing about it even took it and Lithium either has me  a little worried if this abilify15mg  doesn't help then what I am trying not to think about it.Trying to be positive I may or may not have any side effects with a new med but there's always a chance I will have more side effects than I ever had on Abilify On Abilify I have near to no side effects just dry mouth constipation dry hair sometimes that's all. and it makes me sleep sometimes sometime snot it hasn't been lately helping me slep that's why a sleep aid was added.

19 hours ago, jt07 said:

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (taken from car commercials)

It means the meds might affect you differently as we are all different when it comes to meds.

thanks for telling me that I didn't

know what that meant thanks for explain it to me now I get it

no anxiety hardly a tiny bit but nothing I cant manage so Life is awesome right now and I couldn't be any better than I am with

out not being sick at all It feels that way sometimes  like I am not even mentally ill.

Just throwing out a gentle cautionary warning that sometimes there's such a thing as feeling too good.  I'm not saying you're definitely there as it's really impossible for me to know, since I don't know you.  But if things keep spiraling upward, try to make sure you let your psychiatrist know sooner rather than later. 

(Again, not saying that's now--just that it can happen.)

Edited by dancesintherain
  • Like 2

If you eventually do need to add another med (which I hope you don't), in addition to lithium and Depakote there is Tegretol (carbamazepine) and Trileptal (oxcarbazepine) that are used sometimes as mood stabilizers. I take Tegretol and love it. It is the backbone of my cocktail. I'm not saying it would work for you that way as we all react differently, but I get almost no side effects from it other than some dizziness and double vision in the beginning. It doesn't sedate me and I really don't notice any side effects from it any more. Again, YMMV.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

Just throwing out a gentle cautionary warning that sometimes there's such a thing as feeling too good.  I'm not saying you're definitely there as it's really impossible for me to know, since I don't know you.  But if things keep spiraling upward, try to make sure you let your psychiatrist know sooner rather than later. 

(Again, not saying that's now--just that it can happen.)

ok whatever you said I do feel good though the dr. already knows How I am feeling I just been to him and told him Sept the 10th

so try not to burst my bubble ok have a nice day @dancesintherain personally speaking or rain on my parade if I feel good then I feel good don't like it walk on and don't comment on my posts ever again.

FWIW ...

I'm sorry you felt like dances' response was offensive.  I think she was trying to help you with advice that may or may not happen.  Like so it isn't a surprise IF it ever happens.  But it may not.  A just-in-case type thing.

Personally I can never be too cautious about anything, being it meds, mania/depression/feeling ok/etc.  So I like to weigh the positives and negatives.

I hope my post isn't taken in the wrong way.  If so I'm sorry ahead of time.

• Like 1