CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
dancesintherain

migraine upon waking

I woke up this morning to what I initially thought was just a headache but that very clearly told me (based on location and type of pain) that it was a migraine instead.

I've never had a migraine right upon waking, so I'm curious if this is a thing that happens regularly or has happened to people more than once before.  If so, were their treatments that helped other than your quick-acting migraine medication?  (i.e. I took imitrex b/c I didn't want to live with it any longer and didn't know when I'd get a reply on this thread, but I'm open to other non-medication treatments)

I have had them when there was a severe pressure change in the weather and I don't know enough about our current weather to know if that's what's going on. 

Idk whether this is the same as you are describing ... I just got over having 2 migraines, and when I had them they both woke me up.  I wasn't ready to get up; they woke me up in the middle of the night.  Is this what you mean?

If so, this happened twice to me, 2 nights apart, and I can say it was definitely from tension, being stressed out, out of my own environment, and being over-tired.  The reason I know this is because when I was out of that environment and everything else, the migraines stopped.  Actually the regular headaches have gotten better also.

My neuro prescribed codeine and said I could take tylenol with it (which I didn't do).  It definitely helped the first time.  The second time I think my head pain was way beyond codeine because of the environment I was in, because while it worked for most of my head, there was still a concentrated amount of pain over my right eye and temple that took a very long time to go away.

In general, if I was in my own environment and got a migraine, I do think the codeine would work.

To note though, is that I tried everything I had first before resorting to the codeine (all taken over a few hours) ... Excedrin, cyclobenzaprine, propranolol, ice packs.  And then when all that didn't work I took the codeine.

I find that ice packs are key to me lessening the pain regardless whether they get rid of the pain or not.

Hi!

thanks for the information.  I actually mean that once I wake up, I find that I have a migraine, rather than the migraine being the cause of me waking up.  I guess in theory it might have been because I woke up before my alarm clock, but I think it's less that and more that when I wake up I have one.

as of now, knock on wood, the imitrex seems to have made it vanish.  I'm bringing an extra to PHP in case it comes back.

Yay Imitrex!!  

Yes, yes, yes, yes, I have many migrainey mornings.  The worst. 

These tend to be the culprits:
staying up too late
eye strain
food - eating stuff that not good for my IBS
stress
The Weather!  Yes, for sure.

Also, sleeping position. Turning my head a certain way sometimes triggers a migraine. 

If I wake up in overwhelming pain, I go into the shower and direct strong hot spray of water at my temples. 
Then I take a fiorinal, advil and sudafed.

I'm glad the imitrex worked!  I hope you don't get another one today.

Sadly it came back this afternoon, but it seems to be going away.

And thank you water for the helpful reply!  My sleep is currently all out of whack so perhaps that's the cause.

I have woken up in the mornings plenty of times with what I think is a bad headache, but learn it's a Migraine when I get out of bed and turn the light on (hello light sensitivity and nauseousness).

On 8/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, water said:

These tend to be the culprits:
staying up too late
eye strain
food - eating stuff that not good for my IBS
stress
The Weather!  Yes, for sure.

Also, sleeping position. Turning my head a certain way sometimes triggers a migraine. 

I agree with this list! Thanks to my lovely migraine calendar I've definitely pinpointed a migraine connection with eye strain/bright lights (aka computer), staying up late, and even eating certain things before bed.

Also besides sleeping position, I've noticed I sleep "heavy" and "deep" if I go to bed right after being on the computer (or watching tv) with crappy lighting. So I found (for me) a correlation in bad lights = unhealthy/unrestful sleep = morning migraine.

I get migraines, the one's I wake up with are different to the others. Daytime migraines tend to start with aura and progress to nausea and thundering headache, the one's I wake up with seem to hang around for a week or 2, waxing and waning and nothing quite gets rid of them.

I too find that sometimes sleeping position will bring one on if my neck is turned too far to the side and sometimes sleeping in will bring one on too. Otherwise they just seem to appear at random intervals.

3 hours ago, Jessamine said:

I too find that sometimes sleeping position will bring one on if my neck is turned too far to the side and sometimes sleeping in will bring one on too. Otherwise they just seem to appear at random intervals.

^^For me too.  I started sleeping on my back every night now because of it, and I've found I don't have to really massage my neck hard to loosen it up ... which had I not loosened up my neck I would have gotten either a severe headache or a migraine (which has happened before).

And otherwise, if there is no tension, no stress, no lack of sleep, they will come randomly also.  But the tension, stress, and little to no sleep together is a HUGE trigger for me.

Ugh.  Thanks everyone.  How do you control how you sleep?  I can try to fall asleep in a good way, but I toss and turn so much that I feel like it's almost pointless.

I can't imagine having one for multiple weeks.  Knock on wood, but so far imitrex has gotten rid of them when I get them. 

14 hours ago, dancesintherain said:

How do you control how you sleep?

The only thing I can control about my sleep is making myself get into bed so I can sleep.  Otherwise it is out of my hands and I sleep/wake up whenever my body does.  It helps to have the room as dark as possible though.  Mine is not pitch black, but close to it.

No control here either! I'm a messy sleeper. I toss and turn and wake up in the strangest positions! I wish there was a way to prevent my neck from being twisted like a pretzel while I sleep!

7 hours ago, Jessamine said:

No control here either! I'm a messy sleeper. I toss and turn and wake up in the strangest positions! I wish there was a way to prevent my neck from being twisted like a pretzel while I sleep!

This is me exactly! I'm a messy sleeper and sleep in the most awkward positions. I'll wake up with my head by the foot-board, the blanket wrapped around my face, my arm wrapped around my neck, etc.

I myself haven't tried this because of scoliosis of the spine and the fact I often lay on my stomach, but maybe a neck pillow will help? Like one of the ones for car rides and planes? They snap in place so I imagine even with tossing and turning they will stay put.

I hate morning migraines!! Sometimes I find that drinking a huge glass of water helps kick it to the curb. One of my biggest triggers is artificial sweeteners (saccharin and aspartame). Excedrin usually does the trick if I catch it early enough

32 minutes ago, Chronicles of Insanity said:

Excedrin usually does the trick if I catch it early enough

Exactly ... "catch it early enough" are the key words.  If I don't catch it early enough the headache turns into a migraine pretty much instantly.

Thanks all.  At least there aren't any miraculous don't get strange in your sleep techniques that I've never learned.  

i tried water recently for a headache and it helped.  The last migraine I didn't think to try, but fortunately the last one was when I started this thread (in some areas of life health-wise I'm lucky).  Unfortunately I can't take excedrin because of lithium, but extra strength Tylenol knocks out most tension headaches and regular headaches.  I don't tend to bother with what feels like a full-fledged migraine because I don't want it to get worse.

Last night what woke me up was the spins.  That is a migraine aura for me.  I could not get out of bed due to being way to dizzy and so went back to sleep, only to be woken up again to experience the spins. I made it to my desk to take Amerge and within 7 hours of sleep I woke up to no symptoms.  I recently titrated down on my Depakote and am thinking that may have triggered this. 

It's odd how migraines will wake us up..... could migraine interfere with the sleep wake cycle?

I try to drink lots of water during the daytime hours and keep an eye on the barometric pressure, eat clean food (no additives, artificial sweeteners, MSG, etc), but still all that prep work can't guard against a migraine.

I sleep with a cervical pillow and that helps keep my neck in alignment.

Purple

On 8/11/2016 at 3:42 PM, dancesintherain said:

My sleep is currently all out of whack so perhaps that's the cause.

dances ... I just noticed this post ... I'm sorry I didn't answer earlier ... personally speaking, lack of sleep (or just messed up sleep) for me, will cause a migraine without a doubt.  One night I'll be ok.  But after that I will get a migraine.  And I will keep getting them until I am removed from or get out of a really stressful situation, where I can finally be more relaxed and can sleep better.  So for me, lack of sleep (and stress) will definitely cause a migraine, and the migraines will keep returning until I can sleep again with very little stress.

5 hours ago, PurplePaisley said:

It's odd how migraines will wake us up..... could migraine interfere with the sleep wake cycle?

It is possible.  When I get woken up with a migraine in the middle of the night, it really messes with my sleep because of the pain.  Even with a nap the next day, that only minimizes the pain; doesn't make it totally go away.  So I think it can interfere with the sleep-wake cycle because you are woken up when your body might not be ready to.