CrazyBoards.org

Managing anger

Has anyone learned any useful tips for managing anger? Had some blips where I was euphoric and running around the house, which quickly switched into screeching, punching everything I can (including myself) while jumping up and down...  which then switched to being fascinated by my elegance as I glided through the air. Guessing this has something to do with the bipolar, and I know that this makes it harder to control, but I want to be less distressing for the people around me as much as I can. 

Any suggestions on how to manage how energy and anger combine would be much appreciated!

Hmm I struggle with this too. Sometimes I just take a Valium but I imagine that isn't the best way to deal with it. I have found vigorous exercise to be a good way to channel and exhaust the angry energy. Perhaps sprinting or calisthenics as these can be done without any equipment. Otherwise, I think it helps to get out of the house if you feel angry. Feeling "cooped up" makes it worse for me.

Mindfulness/meditation could help. It takes some commitment to practicing regularly to get the best results. If you can find a way to work it into your daily routine you will probably find it easier over time to take a step back from your emotions and emotional reactions to life events. It also helps with grounding oneself in the present time and place which has a calming effect. I did a course on this technique and it did work for me, however, after the course finished I stopped doing it. I have been meaning to start again...

Exercise helps. Vigorous exercise, not just taking the dogs for a stroll around the block. Beyond that, I take extra Seroquel. Over the years I've learned to distinguish blind senseless bipolar rage from aggravation that has some basis in reality, and gritting my teeth and reminding myself that I'm "just ragey" usually keeps me from doing anything really awful. 

We can talk about the emotional cost to oneself of bottling that shit up later, if you so desire.

Wow! I feel like a newbie when I look at each and everyone of your post counts. 6000 my Lord. I started here maybe just a couple of years back, but I've had been diagnosed for about eleven years now. Enough about me. I agree with exercise deterring your anger, and I also have Seroquel on standby. I try to minimize it, but sometimes it really helps. Go with exercise maybe and see what that does. I personally have a problem of going at it too hard, but light exercise is, I think, a good place to start. Never drink when you're angry. That punching the wall thing I have too, and it might lead to hurting someone or yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

I get these feelings on and off with my higher/mixed mood swings. Before I lose it, I take whatever emergency med I have and take that. Then (even though i am nowhere near even a trotter) I run until I collapse. Or hit trees/break branches...throw pillows or socks (not as satisfying). But anything physical you can do without hurting anyone is good. Even going somewhere remote (if you can) and scream. (Or scream into a pillow). And for me, singing to LOUD music.

But everyone is different.