CrazyBoards.org

giving up on willpower

I'm a 42 yo male and I have finally given up on using my will to fight my rollercoaster. I was multiply diagnosed when I was 20 but refused the meds because they made me feel so out-of-control, and sedated. Now I have started taking effexor and feel some improvement in my depression but am still feeling very sedated. I also have chronic pain and the effexor has made sleeping very painful. Does anyone have experience with milnacipran(ixel) or have any suggestions.

Hi bc, I'm new here too.  I'm BPII and haven't had good luck with the NSRIs....they make me manic, but I've read this drug is good for depression and chronic pain.

So, sorry, no personal experience, but I wish you well.  Finding the right medicine is the key to everything and sometimes takes a long time (as I've grown unhappily to know).  Don't get discouraged!

Welcome to both of you!

I don't have experience with your meds but I'm sure someone else will have some comments. Be sure to look at the med info posts that are pinned in the pertinent medication forum, and look through the old posts.

Cheers,

a.m.

Hi. Glad both of you made it here!

bcbrain: I was not familiar with milnacipran. I couldn't find it at http://rxlist.com. I googled it and did find a lot of info, and from what I can tell, it doesn't appear to have been released yet in the US. The most recent info I could find was a statement in November 2005 from Cypress Bioscience Inc. in which they said they would be initiating an additional Phase III study.

From what I've read, it does look to be showing encouraging results as a new NSRI for treatment of both depression and fibromyalgia. I'd be interested in hearing what you know.

I have a few of Qs for you. Since you are writing here in the Bipolar Spectrum Disorder forum, I'm wondering: 1) What is your diagnosis, what type of BP? 2) What other treatments have you tried? Have you tried any anticonvulsants/mood stabilizers? and 3) Have you gotten a diagnosis for your chronic pain? And what have you tried for it?

Hope you don't mind my Qs. Knowing more about you may help us to answer your questions.

Best wishes,

revlow

PS -- Great avatar!

Been off and on meds since my early 20's.  I'm 43 now.  I went completely med free for a long time because I thought I was "strong" and I could do it...stupid me.  So, after this last crash, I decided that for the first time in my life, I'm ready to fess up to the problem and take meds; BEST decision I EVER made.  I'm just sorry I wasted so much time thinking I could persevere.  This is the BEST I have ever felt.

As my therapist says, you wouldn't even question taking meds for diabetes, cancer or some other chronic illness.  Why is this any different?

I hope you find the help you need!

BTW, I do know that Cymbalta is an AD, but it also helps with neuropathic pain.  I don't know what causes your pain, but you could look into it...

Anne

hi bcbrain,

you know, you have an almost eerie resemblance to rodney dangerfield. ;)

i don't know if i am bp II or just MDD at this point. my diagnosis is mdd but i tend to yoyo a fair bit. i have been on effexor for over a year now and have found it to be pretty bloody useless. i have taken several different adjunct meds to try to help the effexor and to help me sleep at night. i have found seroquel to be the godsend i was looking for when it comes to my anxiety and obsessive thoughts. and it helps my depression too. without my vitamin S i turn into a sobbing, slobbering mess in about 36-48 hours.

plus it puts me to sleep as effectively as a well-aimed half-brick.  (to misquote terry pratchett).

good luck in your search.

grouse.

I had a fear of everything before and when I was first diagnosed (at age 40).  I feared not only the diagnosis (ohmygod I really am fucking crazy!!) but meds and psychiatric and psychological treatment in general.  Fortunately I was lucky--I had antidpressant-induced dysphoric mania at that moment in time, and was absolutely desperate and much more terrified of what my mind was doing than anything else.

Are you on a mood stabilizer?  Seems to me any kind of AD alone could well cause mania.  Despite your fear of meds (not unusual at all; none of us are happy about pills) you might do well to ask your pdoc if he thinks they're indicated.  He might be going slow with you if you told him you're afraid of meds, so a frank talk could help.  One of the things that he should be expert at is easing your fears and helping you transition to medications. 

Welcome and keep us posted on how things go.

Archived