CrazyBoards.org

Hi, so I don't have a anxiety/panic disorder but I thought that this would be the right place to ask..

Yesterday, I'm pretty sure I had a panic attack (I've never had one before so I'm entirely sure). It was definitely a triggered one.. But now I'm really scared that I'll have another. It was beyond terrifying and I've never been out of control like that.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice about what to do during one or how to keep them from happening in succession.

11 hours ago, BorderlineWintergirl said:

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice about what to do during one or how to keep them from happening in succession.

Definitely, see your doctor. It appears as though you currently don't have a pdoc.

Also, as for advice about what to do during one... Try not to resist it. The more you resist the anxiety/panic attack, the worse it makes it. Let the anxiety come out, it needs to get out, don't hold it back. If you're in a public place, try not to worry about what people are thinking of you if you are breathing heavy or look obviously distressed. If someone comes up to you and asks if you're okay, you can say, "no, I think I'm having a panic attack," and if you felt comfortable enough, you could even ask the person "would you mind staying with me until this passes over?" Speaking of breathing, breathe, but try to regulate your breathing. Try counting while you breathe—in for 8, out for 8, or whatever pace is comfortable for you and helps you relax. Another thing is a trick I learned from my woodwind quintet coach, which is to massage your collar bone. Apparently, it's one of your body's "buttons." Another "button" to massage is the skin between your index finger and your thumb. Massaging these spots on your body can supposedly ease anxiety. 

If after about 30-45 minutes you aren't able to calm down any, and especially if you're experiencing chest pain, you might want to start thinking about a way to get to the emergency room, whether you have to call a friend to pick you up, a relative to pick you up, or heaven forbid call 911. Don't try to drive yourself to the ER if you're in that state.

As for how to keep them from happening in succession, my best advice would be seeing your doctor and getting on a proper medication for anxiety.

I hope this is of some help to you. Best of luck to you. :)

Breathing is important. Breathe in to the count of "1...2...3..." and then hold it for a second, then breathe out "1...2...3...." That can help a lot more than it seems like it would. Sometimes moving your body (going for a walk, fidgeting with something, stuff like that) can help get out some of the nervous energy. It can give you something to focus on besides the panic, too. Ultimately, you should see a doctor, if you're able. They can probably give you some good tips on how to cope.

I would definitely talk to your pdoc about this.

In terms of ways to stop/prevent an anxiety attack, anything that shocks my system tends to work- jumping in a cold shower stopped a really bad attack in its tracks one time. Even just drinking really cold water really helps. As @huntforbravery said, breathing is a big help- you can try using this gif as a way to practice breathing:

Huou7Gh-2.gif

• Like 1

On 8/17/2016 at 4:34 AM, melissaw72 said:

In your sig it says that you are currently looking for a new pdoc.  Does that mean you are not seeing any pdoc now?  Or is it that you have one, but are actively looking for another one?  I also noticed you are not on meds. 

Do you see a therapist?

I'm not seeing anyone right now. But I just made an appointment for a pdoc for next week. And yeah, haven't been on meds for about a three years. I haven't had much luck until now for finding someone. And no therapy either. I've tried but it just never sat right with me... Do you think it would help though?

And for the breathing part... I was tried that after it was once and I was just having aftershocks(?) and I think it almost caused me to have another one? Either that or the one I was having wasn't really over? I'm just super unsure about what happened to me...

1 hour ago, BorderlineWintergirl said:

I'm not seeing anyone right now. But I just made an appointment for a pdoc for next week. And yeah, haven't been on meds for about a three years. I haven't had much luck until now for finding someone. And no therapy either. I've tried but it just never sat right with me... Do you think it would help though?

And for the breathing part... I was tried that after it was once and I was just having aftershocks(?) and I think it almost caused me to have another one? Either that or the one I was having wasn't really over? I'm just super unsure about what happened to me...

That is great you have a pdoc appt next week!  When you see pdoc and talk to him/her about what is going on, maybe ask for an anti-anxiety med?  They can be really helpful.

Yes, I do think therapy would help you.  Sometimes talking about stuff and getting feedback can be helpful.  When looking to find a therapist (tdoc), it might take a few tries to find one who clicks with you.  I know you haven't had success in the past with a therapist, but I would give someone else a try.

I know the breathing helps many people, but I don't do well with the breathing either.  You aren't alone with that.

2 hours ago, BorderlineWintergirl said:

I'm so glad people are talking about breathing being connected with anxiety.  During a particularly stress filled session with a TDoc she asked me if I was breathing (At all) because when I start to have an anxiety problem thats one of the brick over the head "hints"   Mouth drying up, muscle tension, inability to find a position to sit or stand or lay down thats comfortable.   I had worse ones (And more frequent) when this first started hitting me but I think one of the two meds I take dialed down how serious they got.  The other drug just stops them dead.   I think seeing a Doctor PDoc, GDoc or?  Is a very good idea.  Therapy is probably as good as meds so the combo is a great idea.  I also think getting up, moving around, walking regularly (A good Excuse to rescue a Dog) helps a lot as well.

If anyone wants to comment if my symptoms sound normal?  I would appreciate that. 

11 hours ago, HAL9000 said:

During a particularly stress filled session with a TDoc she asked me if I was breathing (At all) because when I start to have an anxiety problem thats one of the brick over the head "hints"   Mouth drying up, muscle tension, inability to find a position to sit or stand or lay down thats comfortable.   I had worse ones (And more frequent) when this first started hitting me but I think one of the two meds I take dialed down how serious they got.  The other drug just stops them dead.  

If anyone wants to comment if my symptoms sound normal?  I would appreciate that. 

Idk if your symptoms are "normal" or not.  I think everyone has their own way of reacting to anxiety, whatever that may be.

-----------

Sometimes anxiety can make me more alert, like very (more than usual) aware of my surroundings.  If I start to get anxious I want to know an immediate exit plan so I become very aware of all of my surroundings so I can get out of the anxiety-provoking (whatever it is) as fast as possible.

Mouth drying up, muscle tension, inability to find a position to sit or stand or lay down thats comfortable.  

i've had panic attacks that did that to me and i always try to lie down before i fall down from getting something that feels like vertigo. i have xanax prn, but i'm trying to manage the ocd that causes them, for the most part, with zoloft and ativan. hope you're doing better soon xx

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Cassandra007
      Coming here 5 years after the fact. 

I started Latuda for bipolar depression that wasn’t responding to the lamotrogine I was taking. About 4 months later a stressful new job coincided with a unique form of nighttime anxiety unlike the GAD I’d struggled with my whole life. I struggled with it for 18 months, diazepam and lunesta being the only things to help. Which resulted in daytime fogginess and forgetfulness. 

Neither my p-doc nor therapist linked the anxiety to Latuda given the 4-month delay in the anxiety’s onset after starting it. I only cracked the code by discovering a few buried comments on this forum that described the specific experience of the nighttime anxiety—I called it the witching hour because it was like clockwork, and I had a whole routine to deal with it, which included isolating myself from my family and distracting myself by reading dry technical books until I fell asleep. 

As soon as I discovered comments here that described my experience among others taking latuda, I stopped taking it. The nighttime anxiety evaporated almost immediately. 

I feel like a jerk for not chiming in on this board at the time to potentially help others in the same boat. So…if you visited this sub-board trying to crack the code within a similar context, talk to your doc about switching to a different bp or schizophrenia drug. There are plenty of folks who thrive on Latuda, and god bless ‘em. But if you feel crippled by a new nasty panic, look into whether it’s your Latuda. 
    • By candi71
      I am so very lost, angry, hurt, depressed, explosive, and drowning.  I was put on latuda or my bipolar and depression acting up...  I hate new meds for this reason.  I started having my ptsd dreams again, ate everything in site and craved sugar omg terribly,  have been depressed, cant color which i love to do, just wanna sleep, explosive anger, crying jags, hate life, nothing makes me happy, everything just sucks.  Im so angry cause i feel like i did before i went on any meds, 20yr ago.  
      Im so confused i just feel like im grasping at air.. I was in the er the other night and they basically sent me home after giving my dose of larzapam i didn't take in the afternoon cause i doesn't help.  My theory of   it is it didn't help before the latuda what is gonna make it work coming off latuda or after off.. I remember why i drank now.. I didn't need to feel this then.. I want to drink so bad and wont cause I've been clean 6 yrs April will  be 7 and i worked to hard to get here and refuse to prove others right.  Im so so messed up i cant sleep cant watch TV cant color yet dont want to do any of the above either but if i dont sleep i hurt... has anyone felt this way..  It sux cause the battle to find meds to work will start tomorrow cause my liver doesn't process meds it flushes them out.. oh well sorry just needed to vent and hope someone can help
    • By Britton777
      Hi everyone. I’ve been dealing with unbearable symptoms for over 4 years. Insomnia, racing thoughts (OCD), derealization, irritability, brain fog and depression. 
      I have tried so many medications, but none help. My insomnia and anxiety are through the roof and I have 24/7 derealization. Years ago, 2007, when I was struggling with depression, my psych talked about starting an MAOI, but we instead we added geodon to Zoloft and it worked (for awhile) 
      Long  story short, I developed sudden onset ruminating thoughts (in form of OCD), insomnia and Anxiety  in 2009. After many trials of meds (I’m adverse and paradoxical to most) I finally was put on remeron which got me sleeping again and in turn helped my other symptoms. 
      From 2010-October 2014 I did relatively well, that is until remeron stopped working and all my symptoms came back. 
      Since I have been inpatient several times trying every sleeping med , bipolar med, SSRI etc with no relief. 
      Mom wondering if an MAOI could help me? Can MAOI’s treat anxiety? Racy brain? I’ve read they can make insomnia worse, which I don’t need. 
      Symptoms: severe insomnia, lucid dreams/nightmares, 24/7 derealization, severe anxiety and panic, major depression, brain fog, dizziness, migraines. 
      I believe, like in 2009-2010, many of my symptoms are from sleep deprivation. I am very desperate to get control over my anxiety and sleep. I’m at the end of my rope. 
      Could an MAOI help me as a last ditch effort to get some kind of quality of life back? 
      Current meds: weaning off Zoloft, weaning off remeron, geodon 20 mg X2, Ativan 5 mg per day (please don’t jump down my throat about this, it will give me a panic attack. I know it’s a high dose and I need to taper this too), prazosin 2 mg. 
      TIA
    • By Britton777
      Hi all. I saw my (worthless psychiatrist today- I’m seeing a new one in March) 
      I suffer from severe anxiety and panic, OCD (ruminating thoughts, racing thoughts, intrusive thoughts), derealization, severe insomnia, agitation and depression. I have tried many many medications. Nothing has helped. 
      I specifically went to talk about trying Nardil today. She’s willing to let me try this, but will have to go off Zoloft and remeron for 2 weeks which scares me. Then if Nardil doesn’t help/work, I’d have to wait another 2 weeks to get back on something else. 
      She offhandedly asked if I had ever tried rixulti and I told her no. So she pulled out a sample pack for me. I’ve been reading reviews of drugs.com, and it seems that it helps many people with depression, but makes OCD, anxiety, agitation and insomnia worse. Doesn’t sound like a good medication for me. 
      Was hoping for some thoughts on this. TIA
    • By Dewey
      Latuda is off the table for now due to the weird reaction.  We were considering Depakote, but psych doc just called and nixed that idea due to my NAFLD and chronic hyperammonia issues.  So, he wants me to start back on Zyprexa tonight and to call him tomorrow to see how I am doing.  He has been calling me daily over the past two weeks.  Several neighbors are suggesting assisted living, but my psych doc is saying no way, I'm not at that stage yet.  However, my mother started dementia at my age, but his position in this is that when on Zyprexa, it cures the confusion and other debilitating symptoms at least for awhile.  He says that if I had early dementia, I would not respond to the Zyprexa as well as I do.
      My neighbors are now concerned due to my inability to think straight and confusion which they are picking up on.  I have known this for sometime and have expressed my concern many times over my brain feeling like it is falling apart and unable to function in the real world.  Finally my psych doc is taking me seriously. 
      Dissociation is with me all day long, extreme anxiety and fear/panic/dread all day long, confusion is there all day long, just feeling unwell with these chronic migraines is keeping me in bed 3 days out of 5 days.  This is not a functioning life for me.  I am afraid to leave my apartment, I am afraid to hear from my neighbors that I am confused and not functioning well.  These daily reports are just overwhelming me.  I now turn off my phone, close my blinds and live in a shroud of secrecy.
      I will be seeing my headache/neurologist/seizure doc this week and will bring this up to him as well.  I hope I can make the appointment.
      Just sitting here after taking .5 mg of Klonopin to take the edge off.  Will start the Zyprexa this evening or sooner.
      Just a few points about my environment.  Two neighbor threatened my life here (verbally), neighbors that I get close to pass away suddenly (one right in front of me) (I live in an independent living facility and I am the youngest here - most have varying degrees of psychosis/dementia - hard to live with).  I went to a party last week and I sat alone at my table while others crowded around with each other excluding me.  I left and came home very depressed.  I am an easy target where I live, bullies come after me. I have no trust with anyone who lives here anymore. Have been here a year and can't connect with anyone, very depressing, so I stay alone in my apartment.   I do not drive and with my agoraphobia, leaving my home and venturing out alone is very very scary to me. 
      Just not a life that I want to keep living.  I have to get on something to help calm down my brain so I can function in the world.  I have been on most medications now and nothing works or the side effects are too harsh.  It's just becoming too hard now to function in this world. 
      Well, thanks for reading *smiles*