CrazyBoards.org

Is Fasting Okay In Small Doses?

TakeAChillPill

I plan to get a good conversation going on this topic.  I realize there will be a lot of different opinions, some more scientific than others.  

I have decided to keep dieting after being heavier than I've ever been.   I'm in good health and by that I mean I have no heart problems or diabetes.  I take vitamins and fish oil every day.  I feel good most of the time.  i can exercise at a beginners pace for a fairly good amount of time.  

I want to know what you all think about fasting once a week.  When I say fasting I mean a modified fast.  i was thinking that maybe every Tuesday I'd eat only 500 calories in addition to keeping it low calorie all other days of the week.  I know the correct answer is to ask my doctor.  

I was juts wondering if there is any more or less recent research on the topic of modified fasting.  

I take Abilify and it seems to make it harder for me to KEEP LOSING after about two weeks of a diet.  By all means, it should be easier to lose considering I weigh over 300 pounds.  I mean, maybe it's NOT the Ability but I suspect it might be.  

Anybody here lose weight on Abilify- and I don't mean after stopping it.  I only want to know about Abilify in particular.  I only take 7mg and I might be headed down to 5mg.  

I will be googling stuff about my question while I wait for people to respond.  :-)

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking about, but it came to mind as something similar when you asked "is fasting okay in small doses" ...

**Disclaimer** I am not promoting fasting.  But in some cases it does work, when you do it a certain way, according to Dr. Krista Varady:

Dr. Krista Varady is known for "The Every Other Day Diet" :  Here is her book I am talking about:

https://www.amazon.com/Every-Other-Day-Diet-That-Lets-Weight/dp/1401324932

Here is a review of her book:  

http://www.eoddiet.com/

Here is an article about the Every Other Day Diet:

https://news.uic.edu/krista-varady-weighs-in-on-how-to-drop-pounds-fast

And like you said TACP:

6 hours ago, TakeAChillPill said:

I know the correct answer is to ask my doctor.  

I agree.

No. You should only fast if its medically necessary, say for a blood test or something.

I agree with empty inside's suggestion. Find out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and gradually decrease it, but I would say to never go more than 500 cals below your maintenance, because its going to screw up your metabolism and energy. 

1 hour ago, empty inside said:

500 calories is very little, and it's not a good idea to go from say the recommended 2000 straight to 500, you're just going to want to binge. go down slowly if you want to consume less calories. 

what i recommend is fining out what your TDEE is. as long as your net calories for the day is below that, then theoretically you should lose weight. you don't have to fast at 500 calories, that can be dangerous. 

and i've never been on abilify so i have no advice there. sorry.

(in bold) It could be dangerous you're right.  That is why I said at the beginning of my post that 'I wasn't promoting fasting' , just that this was something that talked about it all.  I didn't mean to endorse it, if that was how you interpreted it.  If so I'm sorry for the misinterpretation.  I was just putting information out there for people to read/judge.  But I was definitely NOT saying in my post to do this fasting or not.  I did say it it works for people if you do it a certain way ... but I was basing that all on what this DR was talking about.

Sorry for the confusion and misinterpretation.  Maybe I should have written it differently.

-----

About the Abilify ... I neither gained nor lost weight on it.

21 hours ago, empty inside said:

500 calories is very little, and it's not a good idea to go from say the recommended 2000 straight to 500, you're just going to want to binge. go down slowly if you want to consume less calories. 

what i recommend is fining out what your TDEE is. as long as your net calories for the day is below that, then theoretically you should lose weight. you don't have to fast at 500 calories, that can be dangerous.

9 hours ago, jt07 said:

Great video^^ ... this is the type of thing I was posting about.

For Stewart, here's how she started: Every other day she would eat no more than 500 calories and on the days in between, called her "feast" days, she consumed about 2,200 calories.

-------------------

About intermittent fasting ("Intermittent fasting 101"):

https://authoritynutrition.com/intermittent-fasting-guide/

• Like 1