CrazyBoards.org

I went through an extensive diagnostic testing yesterday, and one of the questions asked if I've ever felt that I've been controlled by an outside source or entity that could influence my thoughts and/or actions. I was so shocked because that's precisely what happened to me over the past couple weeks. I came to believe that there is a supernatural entity (robotic, impersonal, from a parallel universe) that is overseeing my self-destruction and forcing/causing me to harm myself in progressively more dangerous ways.

I guess this is a rather common delusion if there was a question about it? Does anyone here ever feel like some outside force is controlling their thoughts or behaviors?

I've had the experience of having thoughts plucked from my mind, and not being able to get them back. I never thought someone was doing it, really, but that's certainly what it feels like to me. I've also had thoughts "inserted" into my mind, and have literally yelled for them to stop! I know, rationally, that no one is putting them there or taking them away, but yeah. It feels that way. That's my closest experience, but I know that your experiences are pretty common (just from reading lots and lots, and being asked the same thing).

Anyway, I'm sorry you're experiencing these things. It must be really frustrating and scary to feel like you're not controlling yourself.

Edited by heilmania
Whoops!

I have felt compelled by delusions to do certain things, but I can usually resist. But it can take a Herculean effort on my part not to comply. And I am not sure I would be able to resist if the actions weren't morally reprehensible or self-destructive. 

17 hours ago, Flash said:

I have felt compelled by delusions to do certain things, but I can usually resist. But it can take a Herculean effort on my part not to comply. And I am not sure I would be able to resist if the actions weren't morally reprehensible or self-destructive. 

^^Same with me.

i have had thought insertion, thought theft, and exhibited several types of formal thought disorder. all of which convinces me i am being controlled and plotted against/discredited. 

i can can write more another time but it's too late at night for me to be going into my "delusions", but yours sounds semi familiar. I don't think it's uncommon. as for why the overlay, i posted an article on that ages ago that maybe I'll try to find. there's a suggestion its culturally contextual to some extent. based on how we conceive of our nemesis/arch fiend/forces/prime mover (that's a joke ;))/whatever controls. 

Anyway, the other thing I have a horrid (life and treatment and hospitalization) history of/because of is command hallucinations. i don't know if i can not do things because I've never tried not to/questioned doing them. loss of insight really screws me. 

Even if if you don't lose insight it's still a problem though. I know it can ruin your life in numerous ways. 

I I hope you find effective treatment and that you're doing better soon. 

xx

-melli