CrazyBoards.org

Serious Conversations

How do you handle serious conversations? You know, when you need to talk about something important but awful. I usually shut down. I can't think, my mind just goes blank. Or I have a panic attack.

One time, me and my two best friends had to confront our other friend who had been lying to us. When we confronted them, I had a panic attack so severe that one of my best friends said I seemed like a different person. Like a scared kid.

I have to have a serious conversation with my parents soon. I'm really scared. What if I shut down? What if I panic? They're good people but they don't handle my anxiety too well. I'm really nervous it'll go badly. But I need it to go well. It's really important.

Anyone have any tips on how to handle it?

My first thought to ask is:   Do you see a therapist (tdoc)?  If yes, can you talk to your tdoc ahead of time, to bounce ideas off of of him/her, and to maybe find ways to help you make it through the conversation so you don't shut down or panic?

In your sig, it says you are on Citalopram.  I am assuming you have a psychiatrist (pdoc) who prescribes that?  If yes, can you as pdoc for something to help with the panic? ... temporary med even, like a benzo ... or if no benzos ... propranolol works and it is a beta blocker, not a benzo.

On August 20, 2016 at 6:35 AM, melissaw72 said:

My first thought to ask is:   Do you see a therapist (tdoc)?  If yes, can you talk to your tdoc ahead of time, to bounce ideas off of of him/her, and to maybe find ways to help you make it through the conversation so you don't shut down or panic?

In your sig, it says you are on Citalopram.  I am assuming you have a psychiatrist (pdoc) who prescribes that?  If yes, can you as pdoc for something to help with the panic? ... temporary med even, like a benzo ... or if no benzos ... propranolol works and it is a beta blocker, not a benzo.

Yeah, I have a therapist. We talked a little about it this week. I just started seeing her so we're still experimenting with different methods to help me when I start panicing. We're still looking for one that'll help when I'm really doing badly. Mostly she suggests removing myself temporarily when things get hard so I can decompress. But I can't do that in the situation with my parents.

As for meds my therapist thinks I should talk to my doctor about changing them. Upping my antidepressants and getting off a different med I'm on. Hopefully that'll help but I'll probably have the talk with them before I see my prescribing doctor.

Any chance you can tell your parents ahead of time (kind of like a head's up) that you are having a problem with panicking and could just shut down during the conversation because it just happens.  Don't know why it happens, but it does.  And if they start giving you a problem about it, I'd say I'm just letting you know so there are no surprises.

How would they respond to something like that?

I wish you well with the talk you will be having with your parents.  I know it is a hard thing to do; I have been through talks with my parents (about other issues) ... except they force me into them ... and I don't initiate the talk. 

I give you a lot of credit for initiating this talk with your parents.  Try to remember the conversation won't last forever (although I can understand it feeling like that at times) and to do your best.  That is all you can do, is to do your best.