Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Pure O - Morbid Obsessions


Recommended Posts

Anyone out there suffer from morbid obsessions that are apparently Pure O related (no real compulsions)? This can be thoughts of harming others or self in horrible ways, commiting atrocious crimes, or otherwise totally inappropriate thoughts that cause great distress because you know you would never do something like that. Here is a link which begins with a more detailed description of this phenomenon: https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/expert-opinion-violent-obsessions/

If anyone out there deals with this, have you found any good coping methods?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, i do. currently i am in therapy, exposure, and i take a combination of zoloft and abilify for it (in addition to my schizophrenia meds). the meds have reduced the intrusive images by probably 75%. seriously. they are like magic for me. I'm grateful. the therapy is to help me desensitize and ideally stop needing Xanax PRN. 

 

I also try to do grounding exercises, like 3-2-1s, when they hit and I try to sit with them and identify it as OCD and nothing more. 

 

its really hard. especially since they used to be about self harm or hurting pets or strangers. now they're about hurting my child and that super fucks with me. Which is why I'm in therapy twice a week one in group and once a week with a therapist just on this issue. I'm hopeful in another several months I'll have managed to develop solid enough coping mechanisms that they never make me feel suicidal and that I can weather a full on panic attack without Xanax. We shall see; not there yet. 

 

sorry to to hear you struggle with this as well and hope that helps xx

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the same thing. It's hard. It's very difficult to talk about in therapy, so my therapist and I kind of skirt around the content of the thoughts and mainly focus on accepting them rather than ignoring them, and trying to understand them in the context of what might be provoking them in the first place, such as subconscious fears. I find that this helps, but it can be really hard to accept them in the first place. My current cocktail doesn't really provide a whole lot of benefit to my OCD, and I can't take SSRI's, so I'm in an awkward situation with meds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello there everyone. Try Curcumin. It is a miracle supplement with very few side effects. It interacts very little with other medicines. Try L-Theanine too. I also get these thoughts every second of my life. T ell me if I'm wrong but rituals seem to ease the anxiety that comes with OCD. It is very hard to stop the rituals but one has to to overcome the OCD. Schizophrenia is as a result of too many dopaminergic receptor sites in the amygdala. Most medication for OCD targets the serotonin system which indirectly causes an increase in GABA which is what is needed to stop the OCD. That is why such high doses of SSRI's are needed to curb the obsessive thoughts. L-Theanine is a natural substance that increases dopamine and GABA signalling. These supplements can indeed be taken with scheduled medication as I do it myself. There is no harm in taking them and they have massive benefits. Try meditation for help. It really does I promise that. It increases GABA by 22% and regulates other neurotransmitters. The interesting thing is that there is a complex relationship between serotonin, dopamine and acetylcholine. If one goes up, the other two go down. OCD is often caused by too little serotonin and GABA and too much dopamine. So increasing Serotonin or Acetylcholine has been seen to improve symptoms. Whilst meditating, listen to Gamma waves as they stimulate compassion, self control, improved cognition and a completely relaxed state of being. For a lot of people an increase in serotonin actually causes depression, anxiety, OCD and suicidal thoughts so it isn't fully understood why SSRI's usually work, but the hypothesis that the increase in the BDNF hormone is responsible for healing the brain and not the increase in serotonin. After all, (95% percent of serotonin is found in the gut). Exercise is also one of the most singularly important things in dealing with anxiety, OCD and depression. I cannot stress this enough. The thing is people, although these thoughts are horrible; There is nothing to worry about. You know they are wrong so what is to fear? Nothing at all. What you resist persists and when you try to stop the thoughts, they come back even stronger. Just forget about them. I have found this to be the only working technique and trust me...I have gone through them before. Buy Suntheanine, eat turkey, bananas, carbs (not wheat!), drink milk, Spice up your food with Turmeric and black pepper, Eat a lot of fish and eggs, Berries, fruits, and lots of Yogurt -  I cannot stress this enough. The fermented yogurt improves gut enterotype and increase GABA in the brain.

I hope this helps. Think natural. How were humans supposed to live and live as much as possible like that (eg} get enough vitamin D {the sun}).

Good luck!!

JOnathon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's silly, MrSnox. Firstly, where are your peer-reviewed studies for curcumin? Because, really, if it was just "eat a whole lot of cumin" I'm pretty sure that all of the places in the world that do happen to use a lot of it would be better off than they currently are. Also, fermented yogurt is bullshit for a couple of reasons. Do you know how yogurt is made? It's soured milk; can't ferment that. Also, your stomach acid kill the bacteria before anything can get to your brain. 

We don't take kindly to anti-treatment and anti-psychiatry bullshit here. Prove your claims with studies, or gtfo. Throwing around big words doesn't mean that you know what they mean, or that they've been backed up with research. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, WinterRosie said:

That's silly, MrSnox. Firstly, where are your peer-reviewed studies for curcumin? Because, really, if it was just "eat a whole lot of cumin" I'm pretty sure that all of the places in the world that do happen to use a lot of it would be better off than they currently are. Also, fermented yogurt is bullshit for a couple of reasons. Do you know how yogurt is made? It's soured milk; can't ferment that. Also, your stomach acid kill the bacteria before anything can get to your brain. 

We don't take kindly to anti-treatment and anti-psychiatry bullshit here. Prove your claims with studies, or gtfo. Throwing around big words doesn't mean that you know what they mean, or that they've been backed up with research. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

 

*slow clap*

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On August 20, 2016 at 10:32 PM, Poem said:

Anyone out there suffer from morbid obsessions that are apparently Pure O related (no real compulsions)? This can be thoughts of harming others or self in horrible ways, commiting atrocious crimes, or otherwise totally inappropriate thoughts that cause great distress because you know you would never do something like that. Here is a link which begins with a more detailed description of this phenomenon: https://iocdf.org/expert-opinions/expert-opinion-violent-obsessions/

If anyone out there deals with this, have you found any good coping methods?

 

 

I've definitely experienced this (obsessively thinking about ripping the skin off my arm), and it was causing anxiety attacks. It just kind of stopped. Idk if one of my medications kicked it out or what. I wish I had advice for getting rid of this type of thinking- it reminds me of the old saying that the longer you try not to think about pink elephants, the more you'll think about pink elephants. Just recognize that they are thoughts, not real, and thoughts aren't able to hurt you or others. Try your best to distract yourself, and don't linger on it too long. Good luck with this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SecondaryMrSnox said:

Hello there everyone. Try Curcumin. It is a miracle supplement with very few side effects. It interacts very little with other medicines. Try L-Theanine too. I also get these thoughts every second of my life. T ell me if I'm wrong but rituals seem to ease the anxiety that comes with OCD. It is very hard to stop the rituals but one has to to overcome the OCD. Schizophrenia is as a result of too many dopaminergic receptor sites in the amygdala. Most medication for OCD targets the serotonin system which indirectly causes an increase in GABA which is what is needed to stop the OCD. That is why such high doses of SSRI's are needed to curb the obsessive thoughts. L-Theanine is a natural substance that increases dopamine and GABA signalling. These supplements can indeed be taken with scheduled medication as I do it myself. There is no harm in taking them and they have massive benefits. Try meditation for help. It really does I promise that. It increases GABA by 22% and regulates other neurotransmitters. The interesting thing is that there is a complex relationship between serotonin, dopamine and acetylcholine. If one goes up, the other two go down. OCD is often caused by too little serotonin and GABA and too much dopamine. So increasing Serotonin or Acetylcholine has been seen to improve symptoms. Whilst meditating, listen to Gamma waves as they stimulate compassion, self control, improved cognition and a completely relaxed state of being. For a lot of people an increase in serotonin actually causes depression, anxiety, OCD and suicidal thoughts so it isn't fully understood why SSRI's usually work, but the hypothesis that the increase in the BDNF hormone is responsible for healing the brain and not the increase in serotonin. After all, (95% percent of serotonin is found in the gut). Exercise is also one of the most singularly important things in dealing with anxiety, OCD and depression. I cannot stress this enough. The thing is people, although these thoughts are horrible; There is nothing to worry about. You know they are wrong so what is to fear? Nothing at all. What you resist persists and when you try to stop the thoughts, they come back even stronger. Just forget about them. I have found this to be the only working technique and trust me...I have gone through them before. Buy Suntheanine, eat turkey, bananas, carbs (not wheat!), drink milk, Spice up your food with Turmeric and black pepper, Eat a lot of fish and eggs, Berries, fruits, and lots of Yogurt -  I cannot stress this enough. The fermented yogurt improves gut enterotype and increase GABA in the brain.

I hope this helps. Think natural. How were humans supposed to live and live as much as possible like that (eg} get enough vitamin D {the sun}).

Good luck!!

JOnathon

ok, i want to assume you mean well here, but have you actually been diagnosed with any of these disorders? because, i have. i have both a paranoid schizophrenia diagnosis (which i've had for almost two decades) and an OCD diagnosis. i've tried the whole diet rearranging thing to "cure' my schizophrenia. you know where that landed me? the fucking hospital. again. i've tried a couple of variations of this and in my firsthand experience of being properly (most likely) diagnosed and then trying dietary changes to cure me of hearing voices and having difficult thought patterns that result in me self mutilating and it ALWAYS has disastrous results. 

if you were coming on here and saying "this is my experience"...that's one thing. and i would heartily welcome and congratulate you on your success, though caution that not everyone has that. i've bought into that bullshit though multiple times from people with google armchair degrees in psychopharmaceutical and who talk a big talk about natural this and healthy that and blah blah blah neurotransmitters. and it all sound great on paper. but you know what? none of you fuckers end up in the hospital with me, now do you? no, you don't. where are you when the shit hits the fan and all of this dietary crap fails? if you're on here preaching natural this and dietary that, and you don't have either diagnosis you mention, then you're nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

if you have found *personal* success using this approach with schizophrenia and ocd, again, congratulations. in my experience i've never known anyone personally who did, but i hope if you have you continue to.

-melli

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...