CrazyBoards.org

I very possibly am going to be switching to Lamictal as a mood stabilizer instead of the Lithium I am currently taking. I had a bad experience on an anti-seizure med used for anxiety and I have been resistant to trying this new drug, even though I know they are not in the same family, have different course of action, etc. I'm also not keen on watching for lethal rashes to occur (I know it is a very slim possibility - but I hate going to the ER).

So to all who have taken this medication for Bipolar 1: How did it help? What was titration like? Do things get worse before they get better? What side effects did you experience?

I know everyone is different, but I would like to gain some general knowledge from people who have experience, rather than go in completely blind.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the process of switching from lithium to lamictal.  (Currently still on Lithium, and titrating up my dosage of lamictal).  I just went up from 25 mg to 50 mg with last night's dose.  I am one of those who started feeling positive effects immediately after starting lamictal.  When I was on just lithium, my depression was bad, and lamictal began lifting that right away.  I am supposed to go up to 100 mg over the next couple weeks, and I can't wait to see the benefits.

1 hour ago, CattleCorn said:

I am in the process of switching from lithium to lamictal.  (Currently still on Lithium, and titrating up my dosage of lamictal).  I just went up from 25 mg to 50 mg with last night's dose.  I am one of those who started feeling positive effects immediately after starting lamictal.  When I was on just lithium, my depression was bad, and lamictal began lifting that right away.  I am supposed to go up to 100 mg over the next couple weeks, and I can't wait to see the benefits.

I hope it works for you.

I've gone up on lamictal three times now (initial, off under doctor's guidance b/c though single episode and then back on when clearly not, off under doctor's guidance and then back on when depression came back again).  Each time it's helped, but the titration experience was different the first two times from the third.  All were rocky, though worthwhile in the long run.  First two were pretty much the same--I'd have a period of days where I felt better, followed a period of days where I felt worse, I'd increase the dose, and that series would start all over again.  Slowly, kind of similar to anxietygirl.  The third time I hit horrible insomnia at about 50mg (I think--I don't think it was immediate).  I called pdoc and he tossed on 200mg of seroquel so I'd sleep at night for the duration of the titration and that worked.  I gradually phased off of it once I hit the stable dose. 

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply! I really appreciate it. Turns out my PDoc took a different approach since I was manic and needed stabilising right away. So now I am back on seroquel 3x a day, more lithium, and the addition of depakote 500mg qpm. Hopefully this will settle things down to the point where we can discuss maintainence doses. Right now, I'm a zombie. :sleepy: But I still get manic moments.