CrazyBoards.org

help! i need recommendations for discreet surveillance equipment i can install myself

ok, just to be clear: i'm not running surveillance on other people. i know i have a history of such things...but this isn't about ...that kind of thing.

i need to be able to see what's going on in my baby's room when she's in there sleeping, all alone and vulnerable. i heard a familiar sound (the sound of those who contaminate my medication cups when i'm inpatient) and i could swear it came from inside her room. of course, they whizz by, so when i opened the door they were already gone.

i need proof of them and i want to ensure i can keep her safe. i don't want the them experimenting on her and making her hear voices and shit like i do and being discredited and so forth. they might've gotten me, but i can't let them get her.

does anyone have recommendations for those tiny cameras, like, ones you stuff into teddy bears and so forth. i went on amazon and a couple of other sites and there's just so much to wade through... also, i need to be able to do the installation since i can't allow some stranger in to do it...who knows what that person might do?!

anyway, any suggestions for items you've personally used would be much appreciated. 

cheers in advance. xx

-melli

Please try not to take offense but to me it sounds like you are having delusions because as far as I know, people get mental illness from their DNA, not from other people poisoning them.   What you are thinking is really very scary but I hope you can understand that it's not real.  

It's late here on the East Coast of the united states but  I am 100% certain when other people see this they will echo what I'm saying.  

It's always a good idea to have a baby monitor but for different reasons altogether.  

Have you talked to anyone about your fears?  

Take Care

• Like 2

ok...so...you say you're not trying to be offensive, then don't call me delusional. that's offensive. i didn't ask for your evaluation of my mental state. if i wanted to know whether you or anyone else thinks i'm delusional, i'm able to ask.

i didn't ask because that's not my question.

i get the impression you're trying really hard to politely tell me you think i've lost touch with reality and, newsflash: there isn't a way to say that my experience isn't real AND be polite. that's condescending and dismissive of my actual question. which, again, wasn't a request for a psych analysis.

i don't know what fears you are asking if i've talked to anyone about...do you mean my concerns about the them targeting her for experimentation and implants? yes and no. i was in chat for a bit ..a bit...ago, and explained the situation there, roughly. and, frankly, at least they had the decency to answer my actual question (even if just to say they don't know where i can procure such items). did they also ask questions? yes. did those questions include whether my psychiatrist knows of these concerns more generally? yes (and, yes, he does). did they encourage me to keep my upcoming appointment? yes.

i get that not everyone believes me. that's what paranoid schizophrenia does when you're labeled with it: destroys your credibility. but at least some people have the decency to treat me with some common courtesy, even if they disagree, and not 1. dismiss me as delusional; 2. which is basically slapping another label on me that i don't see you slapping on yourself; 3. invoke the "crowd" as if you speak for numerous others who will also dismiss and label me delusional, which only serves to make me feel isolated and marginalized. or, well, it would if there hadn't been kinder people in chat who could at least listen and, dare to dream, not tell me to "try not to be offended" just before saying something offensive to me.

look, i get that you probably mean well. i really do. and that's how i know i retain insight, because i don't think you're plotting to undermine me on this site and get others to come in and join your chorus. but there are better approaches to take if you want to be helpful. sticking to the fucking question and respecting me as a person would be a good start. kinda like how i answered your questions instead of telling you you're...i don't' even know what would be as hurtful and dismissive slap in the face as delusional is to me when i have legitimate concerns based on two decades of personal experience. but, think of what the equivalent is for you and observe: i didn't label you with it. 

please...and, frankly, especially if you honestly do think someone is delusional, don't push your unsolicited opinion and direct the person to "try not to be offended"...it's pretty condescending. i would never do that to someone and i'm supposedly the unwell one. 

I'm very sorry @mellifluous about how i made you feel.  

I was REALLY only trying to help.  I only speak from personal experience and, as you are already aware, don't know anything about what you've been through.  

I'd like to make some sort of analogy, although it may not seem perfectly fitting.  Say this forum was for diabetic patients and somebody posted typical symptoms of diabetes but did not ask for help.  Maybe they were trying to talk about something else and like their taxes and then mentioned that they have been dizzy and urinating more frequently.  I would not be afraid to ask them to check their insulin levels.  

This is a forum for mental illness and if I see something I THINK might be mental illness I will tell somebody because I'd want them to do the same for me of roles were reversed.  Saying somebody has diabetes is not offensive.  I know words that have to do with mental illness carry much more stigma but i don't think they should hold any.

I'm on Crazyboards so obviously I'm not well and or have not always been well.   Schizo is my dx and whether that is paranoid or schizoaffective is not completely understood.  

Once again, I am sorry too hurt you or anybody.  :-(

look, it's ok. i'm not as angry as i probably came off. well, actually, i probably was. but i'm angry now and haven't been since i hit submit on my reply up there. i get pretty defensive about being labeled as symptomatic. it'd be different if i'd asked....and i have asked people if i sound like i'm losing the plot, etc. i wouldn't do it outside the schizophrenia section or my blog though, but that's because of the concentration of people i am familiar with and trust there. 

the only reason it's hurtful is because i'm trying to ask a legitimate question and it feels like i'm not being taken seriously. that's my own baggage playing a role there, obviously, but i think the other thing that plays a big role in my reaction is that you hear all of the time to    respect others if you want to receive respect or treat others as you would hope to be treated. and it wears on me that i try to respect others' boundaries and so forth and felt mine got stomped on.

that's where i was coming from in my reply to you and i hope that make sense. like i said, though, i did think you likely meant well and am glad to hear you did. and i'm mostly posting again to reassure you that i don't hate you or anything. i was angry and hurt at the time. i appreciate and accept your apology.

take care, xx-melli

• Like 1

Melli ... Idk about the cameras in the teddy bears and related, but there are baby monitors out there where you can actually see the baby (actually see a live picture). 

Google this:  "baby monitors with cameras" and look at the pictures on the right side ... there are many varieties.

With one of those, you'd be able to see everything that happens in the room where your baby sleeps.  I mean not from every angle of the room, but you'd be able to see her and her surroundings. 

Does this sound like something that would be good to look into?

• Like 1

I would get this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0145OQTPG/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_2_14?colid=2WVCYDJYGU4RN&coliid=I1EH7DKSK1HDID&vs=1  I was planning on buying it to watch my parrot while I was at work, but he died.

If I ever buy another parrot, this is the one I old buy. You can watch from your phone (or computer) and you can  rewind, record, and zoom in. It seems like a good one. 

• Like 1

You know what...maybe it's not as good anymore, as it looked when I was looking for one a while back.

Because I was just checking the reviews on Amazon and it seems like, just in the past few months, they are quite a few new negative reviews.Hmmm. I'm sorry about that. I don't want you to buy it and then not be happy.

• Like 1

Melli, just a thought: Have you talked to your SO about putting hidden cameras around? Are they comfortable with it? Just mentioning because I would be really uncomfortable and paranoid about having cameras around- maybe that's just the crazy in me coming out, but it may be worth bringing up to your SO before hitting the "buy" button. :)

• Like 1

coincidentally, another friend of mine pointed out how problematic wires and cabling and devices are for me...and how many times i've ripped shit out of the walls and tried to dig wires out of myself. she and i had that talk mere minutes before i bought thousands of dollars worth of....who knows what all.

i drew a line in the sand awhile back...on one of my threads in the sz section...that if i heard voices i'd ring my psychiatrist earlier and go in before my appointment on the 29th. technically, i don't think the snickery giggles count as voices. nevertheless, i could feel myself wanting to rationalize not doing it and in some atypical-for-me move i just fucking rang. he said he could see me today, but i needed to be fetal in my bed, so i'm going in tomorrow. 

thanks for posting, heilmania...that was exactly the concern that ended up stopping me from moving forward with it. and,because it's not to feel slightly less alone in having these issues.

with my partner/husband installing hidden cameras...he would NEVER. i mean...he knows my scene alarmingly well. he would never do that to me. but if he did, i would never trust him again. it would probably end what has been a solid marriage. i could get over him bedding half of SF before i could be ok with him intentionally feeding a group of thoughts that have haunted me for almost two decades and landed me repeatedly in the hospital, sometimes by way of the police station, and plays a major role in my self surgeries. 

that was a bit more an answer than you probably needed, but....i suppose it illustrates just how HUGE, HUGER, HUGEST a violation of everything to do with trust and compassion and love that we have.

Another thing about wires and cabling devices: not a thing to put around your baby. Babies are really good at twisting themselves up in cords. Not a thing to put in a teddy bear, as you mentioned above.

Good work calling your doctor. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

Another thing about wires and cabling devices: not a thing to put around your baby. Babies are really good at twisting themselves up in cords. Not a thing to put in a teddy bear, as you mentioned above.

Good work calling your doctor. 

i think i was unclear...and/or perhaps a bit ignorant on how installation works. in the picture in my head of how it would look, there wouldn't be visible wires or cabling. either there would be wireless options or i would open the walls and only have holes where they could attach. 

i also wasn't thinking of putting wires in the teddy bear (or, in her case, giant jellycat rabbit), but referencing something i read about once where you can put a nanny camera inside a child's toy and then catch them doing whatever. 

cheers for pointing out those two things though because, though i swear i really am aware of the need to keep wires/cables away from babies, the picture in my head probably exists in a science fiction film and not replicable in her bedroom. in other words, it illustrates how little i had truly thought out things and i'm relieved i didn't end up buying a bunch of crap i'd have to hope they took back : o