CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  

I started a "Meetup" online and need some help

So I decided to start a local support group by using the software "Meetup" 

If you aren't familiar with Meetup , it's an online site that others join a group that have similar interests. From rock climbing to hiking. Wine tastings  and everything under the sun. These groups meet up at a specified location to do whatever the "meetup" is about.

Since the nearest support group meetings for any mental health issues is in NYC I wanted to start one in the Hudson Valley,Orange County NY.

I'm not good with writing and if anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

I used to go to support group meetings many years ago but they have since vanished. I don't want to focus on one issue because everyone can benefit from each other. Just because I have Ocd ,depression and anxiety doesn't mean I just want members who have these issues. We all know the spectrum is huge and we all can benefit in talking no matter what are issues may be.

I haven't scheduled any meetings yet . But I'm happy I got my first member today :)

Edited by 300.3
Change

I don't need to hire. I'll just need a little help. I have searched other sites and they all seem to have regular people running the meetups. I'm sure if I wanted PR I would need to hire people but this will be just people basically at a support group meeting .  

Also when someone joins the group you can assign certain roles to 4 trusted people. They can basically change anything on the Meetup page and help organize

Edited by 300.3

Yeah, but a professional could help you get everything set up then you could take it from there.

I've belonged to a few (and currently do).  I don't know the origin of their pages though.  I do know the info on the sites are usually pretty generic--what from my experience draws people in is the combo of topic/interest/substance of group and location.  Since that's what you can search for, my one concern would be figuring out how you turn up in the search algorithms...I don't know if it requires tagging, magic words in your description, or something else.

Your right Jt. I would hire someone to create a Facebook page.

In regards to Meetup its all done for me. I pay a small fee monthly and when you search meetup in new York or a given radius with a specific topic my support group will show up.

I just need help creating a few paragraphs like an intro and what the group will be about. Other wise that's it.

I'm not looking for major traffic at all. If I ended up with 10 people and we met once or twice a month that's fine.  The only groups I found were in NYC which is to far and some have 1500 members and charge.. I'm sure to rent a space.

If you guys have time download the app on android or iphone.. you can see how it works.

Edited by 300.3

Find another meetup write up that you really like. Take what you like about it (style, etc) and then change the details to fit your own group.

• Like 1

It's an online app for phone or can be accessed by the Internet. 

Say if you like fishing ? You search your town or city and search fishing. Other people with similar interests who regular meet and go fishing together will show up. They have there own groups you can join and go fishing together

People who go hiking, climbing, yoga,drawing,wine tasting, programming you name it ,its there. Go to meetup.com Jt type in something that interests you. You don't need to join if you just search. It doesn't cost anything to join other groups either . It cost me money because I started my own group.

I can only equate it to back in the day you would read your local newspaper and see support groups in the back pages. They would have the locations and topics/issues and you could attend if you wanted.

Edited by 300.3

Yes. We know what meetup is. I'm a part of it in my city.

What we're asking is what is the specific focus of your particular group that you started? What will YOU be doing? Will you be hanging out? Getting coffee? Hiking? Fishing? Is it a discussion group? What sort of people are you looking for, and what activities will you be doing?

A support group for people with any Mental Health issues. Depression,Ocd,Anxiety, Bipolar spectrums the list goes on.

Do you really want the list to go on? Aren't you running the risk of not having a focus?

I don't know how these meetup support groups generally operate so I don't know if they include all MI or just certain MIs.

jt it just depends on the organizer. The one that my employer runs is entirely BPD. 

OP, I'd ask - if someone showed up with a dx with which you have zero understanding or experience: would you be ok with them being there?

For now I just have Ocd depression anxiety and Bipolar Spectrum. 

Not the "list goes on" lol

15 minutes ago, 300.3 said:

A support group for people with any Mental Health issues. Depression,Ocd,Anxiety, Bipolar spectrums the list goes on.

Oh. I must have mis-interpreted this then. My apologies.

I have experience, meaning just that going through Ocd, Depression,Anxiety . With Bipolar I have no understanding because I have not experienced it.

I could never comprehend or fully understand Bipolar because I don't have it.

But these will really not be a focus groups per say.. and I did write the group will be evolving . 

When I was part of a ocd support group the majority of people just had ocd and didn't have depression and anxiety like I do but they welcomed me with open arms which at that part of my life was crucial and I'm grateful for them.

The topics were ocd based usually but we were only 8 people.

Just to be around others dealing with similar issues was incredible. I was able to feel like I wasn't alone

Edited by 300.3

Well, it sounds like a good project, especially since you don't have any in your area.