CrazyBoards.org

Are these panic attacks or something more?

Hey everyone, 

I would like to first start off by saying I'm diagnosed with SZA, GAD, and PTSD. 

Secondly, I have these (what I think to be) panic attacks from time to time. They always happen at night, but they don't happen that often. I feel like I'm losing my mind, my brain is screaming at me, the world is enclosing in on me, everything is warping and breathing, totally dissociated, can't sit still or lie down and it feels like shadows are crawling over my body. I've had akathisia before, and I know it's not that--I don't feel stiff or like anything is grinding into me. Is this normal or abnormal for a panic attack?  Or is it something more? 

Well, in my experience, there's no "normal" anxiety attack. I cry and hyperventilate until I gag and throw up, feel the room spinning, disassociate, feel things closing in on me, etc. My mom has panic disorder and has bowel problems, nausea, the room spinning, and the feeling that she's going to die.

Did you ever see the Sopranos? Tony Soprano had "panic attacks" that made him disassociate and pass out.

I would bring it up to your pdoc, as I am not a doctor, but I really think it's just anxiety, as anxiety can come out in any and all forms.

8 minutes ago, heilmania said:

Well, in my experience, there's no "normal" anxiety attack. I cry and hyperventilate until I gag and throw up, feel the room spinning, disassociate, feel things closing in on me, etc. My mom has panic disorder and has bowel problems, nausea, the room spinning, and the feeling that she's going to die.

Did you ever see the Sopranos? Tony Soprano had "panic attacks" that made him disassociate and pass out.

I would bring it up to your pdoc, as I am not a doctor, but I really think it's just anxiety, as anxiety can come out in any and all forms.

That sounds about right. I figured it just an idiosyncratic panic attack. 

I haven't seen Soparnos! Is it worth watching? I assume you'll say, "yes!"

and, yeah, I've brought it up to pdoc, but she thinks it's mostly anxiety and a panic attack, although she seemed a little prexpled on how I described it. Maybe I pharsing things oddly or vaguely. 

1 minute ago, squideyes said:

That sounds about right. I figured it just an idiosyncratic panic attack. 

I haven't seen Soparnos! Is it worth watching? I assume you'll say, "yes!"

and, yeah, I've brought it up to pdoc, but she thinks it's mostly anxiety and a panic attack, although she seemed a little prexpled on how I described it. Maybe I pharsing things oddly or vaguely. 

She may have just not heard of anxiety attacks coming out in that form. Also, the Sopranos is really good- the last season is a bit of a letdown, like a lot of HBO shows, haha. Yeah, the first time I disassociated and depersonalized, I totally panicked and thought I had a different illness than I'd been diagnosed with! I was like, "I've invented a new mental illness, doc. You gotta help me." Doc: "Well, this sounds like anxiety." Me: "How? How does this sound like the anxiety I've had since... forever?!" Doc: "It just comes out in different ways for different people. Let's increase your Klonopin." Me: "Oh. Okay."

1 hour ago, heilmania said:

She may have just not heard of anxiety attacks coming out in that form. Also, the Sopranos is really good- the last season is a bit of a letdown, like a lot of HBO shows, haha. Yeah, the first time I disassociated and depersonalized, I totally panicked and thought I had a different illness than I'd been diagnosed with! I was like, "I've invented a new mental illness, doc. You gotta help me." Doc: "Well, this sounds like anxiety." Me: "How? How does this sound like the anxiety I've had since... forever?!" Doc: "It just comes out in different ways for different people. Let's increase your Klonopin." Me: "Oh. Okay."

I think you hit the nail on the head--she hadn't heard about it in that form. 

I'll check out the Sopranos then!

Yes, I know all too well about TV shows letdowns... I hope Game of Thrones doesn't end up that way. :/ 

35 minutes ago, squideyes said:

I think you hit the nail on the head--she hadn't heard about it in that form. 

I'll check out the Sopranos then!

Yes, I know all too well about TV shows letdowns... I hope Game of Thrones doesn't end up that way. :/ 

Omg I know. I love Game of Thrones. I hope it's amazing for all the money they're pouring into the final season!