CrazyBoards.org

Who is all on SSI or SSDI?

I am on ssdi. I don't think I should feel guilty but there is a lot of judgement in society. Not many people irl know. I started working in Oct, used 9 trial work months, and am waiting to see if they will determine that I may still receive them (I am really close to sga).

You aren't alone. Many people receive disability benefits.

5 minutes ago, confused said:

I am on ssdi. I don't think I should feel guilty but there is a lot of judgement in society. Not many people irl know. I started working in Oct, used 9 trial work months, and am waiting to see if they will determine that I may still receive them (I am really close to sga).

You aren't alone. Many people receive disability benefits.

It's good to hear you've got that safety net, too. I know two people irl, but we aren't very close or anything. Good luck with SGA!

I'm in Ireland so it's different here. I am on Disability Allowance which is €188 per week. I also do some casual work. I am allowed to earn up to €120 per week without it affecting my Disability payment.

Because I am on Disability Allowance I automatically get free travel within Ireland, free health care including inpatient stays and do not have to pay any more than €25 per month for my medication  regardless of how much I have to take or how expensive it is.

If I lived alone I would be entitled to a living alone allowance, rent allowance, fuel allowance, electricity allowance and free television licence.

I am on what is called the disability support pension here in Australia which I guess is similar to SSDI. It provides enough for a fairly independent, albeit modest, existence. Not having to rely too much on family is good, having my own money. People are very judgemental about it. My family say I am leeching off society/taxpayers in order to lay about and waste money on doctors and medications. I do feel very alone.

14 hours ago, rowan77 said:

I'm in Ireland so it's different here. I am on Disability Allowance which is €188 per week. I also do some casual work. I am allowed to earn up to €120 per week without it affecting my Disability payment.

Because I am on Disability Allowance I automatically get free travel within Ireland, free health care including inpatient stays and do not have to pay any more than €25 per month for my medication  regardless of how much I have to take or how expensive it is.

If I lived alone I would be entitled to a living alone allowance, rent allowance, fuel allowance, electricity allowance and free television licence.

WOW! ... you have great benefits in Ireland!

9 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

My family say I am leeching off society/taxpayers in order to lay about and waste money on doctors and medications. I do feel very alone.

I'm so sorry you are being told that by your family.  You are definitely not alone though.  I've been in a similar circumstance, so I can somewhat relate.

First, remember, it is not an entitlement like food stamps.  We all pay into Social Security.  You are basically drawing against your government disability policy.   That is, it is insurance.   Second, you likely spend all of the money, which along with millions of others on SSDI, creates more jobs that the money being used to build missiles.   It is yours.  Use it if you need it.  It is one of the few programs that makes us a little bit like more farsighted European countries.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, donwiener said:

First, remember, it is not an entitlement like food stamps.  We all pay into Social Security.  You are basically drawing against your government disability policy.   That is, it is insurance.   Second, you likely spend all of the money, which along with millions of others on SSDI, creates more jobs that the money being used to build missiles.   It is yours.  Use it if you need it.  It is one of the few programs that makes us a little bit like more farsighted European countries.

(in bold #1) I don't think we pay into SSI.

(in bold #2) ???? missiles?

The point I was making was that study after study shows that low income people spend most of their money in their community, this then creates secondary and tertiary jobs.  It is why the minimum wage should be raised, IMHO only.  Expenditures on most defensive equipment is not a large job creator, but the defense companies pay into SS just like we do.  Next time, Melissaw72, I won't  gild the lily.  (SSI, btw, costs the government very little and we borrow it from where -- the SS Trust fund, just as we borrow money against it for a lot of our national expenditures.  Food stamps and SSI help keep people healthy and eating and hopefully with safe shelter, and thus there are fewer hospital visits and less costs to all of us.  Low Income Heating Assistance Program keeps people warm.  All of these safety net programs save society, taxpayers money.)

I wonder how many people would work if minimum wage was 30-40 an hour. I certainly would give work a chance. But given that most jobs are min wage that I would get being a college dropout I stick to ssi given that the increased risk of relapse plus I hear voices like every other day, makes 8 bucks an hour not seem worth it to give up about the same amount each month plus free healthcare and food stamps.

I am on the Albertan/Canadian equivalent, called AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped).  I very recently won my longass battle to get on to disability, and already I feel so much lighter and free.

I wanted to work and I do miss it, I did not stop working easily, I fought it hard.  Very hard.  But it was killing me, and I can be so smart you guys, I was in gifted education, and I couldn't take care of myself or my home or my cats, even with my mental health stuff finally being addressed (and that was going really well, actually.)  And even with a job that was incredibly accommodating and understanding.

I saw going on disability as an opportunity to be creative in constructing a lifestyle in which I can actually THRIVE.  And I lost touch with that for a bit, during my long battle trying to get on to disability.  My home life was stressful and isolating, and without a computer I found it hard to keep my mind organized enough to do what needed to be done, so the process took much longer than it had to.  But I did get it done, with lots of hard work on my part, and also plenty of help, that I chose and coordinated around myself.

My new mantra is: I am not the problem.  I am not the problem for being ill, and I am not the problem for being unable to meet society's standards.  Society's standards are the problem, and they failed me.  I want to turn this into an opportunity to try and chip away a bit at those very standards, hopefully making things more effective in helping and supporting people.  I already do this in some ways, and I'm going to work on doing this in more ways.  Just, taking it easy, building up my stuff gradually, learning how to build things that will last.

• Like 1

I'm on SSDI. I have Medicare part A but have insurance through my husband also. No food stamps but in the past I have had them. I go to county clinic and it's ridiculous how much we owe them but we have a deal for $X a month. Thank goodness. 

I try not to feel bad but it's hard. I can't work or do school. I loved working too. And I loved school. I'm a people person and did well at my last job until I went batshit crazy. I want to work but my own husband says I wouldn't last a week. And I know deep down that he is right. My goal is to eventually try part time again but my options are limited to retail (that's my only past experience). And retail is stressful. I don't know what the future holds, I may never work again. But I'd definitely like to and the money is much needed. I'm always broke. 

23 hours ago, donwiener said:

(SSI, btw, costs the government very little and we borrow it from where -- the SS Trust fund, just as we borrow money against it for a lot of our national expenditures.  

Right, but people do not pay into SSI like they do with SSDI.  I understand that it all comes from the same place, but people don't pay into the SSI like they do with SSDI.

I've been on SSDI since...*thinks* 

Uh, December 2014, I think. Has it really been almost two years? Maybe longer than that. Yay, I have a disorder that fucks with my memory. 

OP, I stopped by this thread to say: 

I live with roommates, and not too long ago, someone asked me, accusingly, what it was I did around the place. 

I answered, "Why do you work? To earn money, right?" 

They allowed as how this was so. 

I said, "And why don't I work?" 

They were silent. 

I said, "It's because I'm too goddamned crazy to draw a wage. So...I'll fucking trade you, able to work versus too nuts to hold down a fucking job." 

They were silent after that, and the roommate money harassment has stopped. As has their way of criticizing the way I help keep up with housework. 

You don't owe anyone JACK FUCKING SHIT for being on SSI/SSDI. If you are ill, you are ill, and you don't owe a motherfucker anything. If they try to put pressure on you, tell them to take a fucking hike. 

• Like 2