CrazyBoards.org

I've always had schizoaffective-type symptoms for the last 15 years or so, but doctors never officially diagnosed it, despite some chats about it, because I was very high functioning and I worked  as a teacher.

These past couple years, I have not been as high-functioning.I've been unable to work, and I just am declining. My doctor is ready to put schizoaffective on my chart so I can be eligible for any of the programs associated with that diagnosis. She asked me to think of the ramifications of a diagnosis but there aren't too many places I can think of where you have to declare mental illness and get something taken away or monitored.

I anonymously emailed the state board of education to make sure I could renew my license though I don't expect to teach for a while.

In real life I have such bad thought disorder I have trouble having conversations. The internet is easier because I can type slow and fix things.

Can you think of any other consequences? I don't plan on telling family or friends.

Actually for me, the consequences of people not knowing my diagnoses lead to a lot of assumptions that eventually get passed around as rumors.  Fortunately it worked out for me that my mother was explaining things and why she had to leave work early, etc.  People were asking her about me, and then I eventually told her to just say whatever she wanted, but to tell me who she spoke with and what she said, so I knew who knew what.

That is all the consequences I can think of at the moment.

Any mental illness is going to disqualify you for getting commercial disability insurance, that is disability insurance outside of what work offers in the pre enrolment period at the beginning of starting a job or otherwise where pre existing conditions don't apply.. No doubt the ability to get commercial life insurance is affected. 

My psychiatrist is also very hesitant about diagnosing me with anything just because it's going to be in my records for a long time. I think it's more to do with any future problems coming up and the doctor will scan through for any previous diagnoses and put it down to that. I'm not entirely sure of the ramification of it though, it's something I need to get a detail answer from him for, sounds like you could do with the same.

• 1 year later...
On 2016-08-30 at 6:42 AM, mywarmbluefleece said:

I've always had schizoaffective-type symptoms for the last 15 years or so, but doctors never officially diagnosed it, despite some chats about it, because I was very high functioning and I worked  as a teacher.

These past couple years, I have not been as high-functioning.I've been unable to work, and I just am declining. My doctor is ready to put schizoaffective on my chart so I can be eligible for any of the programs associated with that diagnosis. She asked me to think of the ramifications of a diagnosis but there aren't too many places I can think of where you have to declare mental illness and get something taken away or monitored.

I anonymously emailed the state board of education to make sure I could renew my license though I don't expect to teach for a while.

In real life I have such bad thought disorder I have trouble having conversations. The internet is easier because I can type slow and fix things.

Can you think of any other consequences? I don't plan on telling family or friends.

?, I feel like the consequences of not telling your family are higher risk for you to decline faster.   Even if one person ☝️ is willing to try to educate themselves along side of you , a sibling or a cousin or a partner, it will make a world of difference for he better. I held back from my family for years and struggled a lot. Now that their all in the know, they support all my decisions, and tell me when I ought to rethink or plan otherwise.     Hope this helps you.  

My Schizophrenia diagnosis has had no negative effects for me so far, it got me SSI, yet it didn't get my weapons carry licence taken away, though from what I've read I probably won't get approved when I have to get it renewed in a few years, but hopefully the State Government will have passed constitutional carry by then and I won't need it.

Edited by nestor