CrazyBoards.org

Anyone have tryptophobia?

I read up to 16% of the world has it. So its very common. And very anxiety provoking. There doesn't seem to be a cure. It is basically a fear of weird shapes or clusters of shapes. It seems kind of like ocd in the fact that the images can stick in your mind for days at a time. So strange.

It is my theory that mentally ill have a way higher rate of it than say the normal population.The normal healthy population I doubt ruminates much or gets things stuck in their head as easily as those with mental illness. I'm guessing exposure therapy might help reduce the anxiety.

I only just Googled this, so I don't know much about it, but Wikipedia seems to say that it's a fear of a cluster of holes, but that it's more likely a biological revulsion than a cultural phobia. So like, we've evolved to be uncomfortable with it because it's a pattern commonly found in injuries or dangerous places (like bee hives)

2 hours ago, tryp said:

I have it.  Anything with that pattern makes me feel viscerally nauseated.  The worst is that horrible lotus thing but I also have trouble with stuff like honeycombs, and crumpets.

Yeah same here. I just saw a magazine cover with a big honeycomb and that got stuck in my head for awhile. The lotus is the worst tho.