CrazyBoards.org

I'm just throwing this here for the advancement of science, or for the FYI of people who may want to take Zyprexa or who do:

I've taken if for about a week I guess. So far so good.

I crave sugar and chocolate like CRAZY, but try to watch it. I joined a gym (too cold for my outdoors activities in Cleveland), and am looking into joining Weight Watchers (discount through HMO). I'm 5'5 and 140lbs, a size 6 and hardly fat, but I work too hard to maintain my ideal weight to let Zyprexa f me up.

I SMELL things much STRONGER. Like smoke my kitchen smells like smoke still from a little accident with the toaster last week. And smokers- can't be around cig smoke- I feel like it is lodging itself in my lungs. I can't even use scented products anymore. I gave up the incense and scented candles too. My beloved incense!!!

I have indigestion. I don't know if this is the cocktail doing it, my love of tomatoes, or Zyprexa, but I take a lot of Tums now.

See my experience with Zyprexa a few posts down. Of course, that is just me, and I was also taking a very high dose. Can't remember now, but it was either 20 or 40 mgs. Whatever sounds more likely. But YMMV and I really hope you will do better on Zyprexa than I did. I hear it's a wonder drug for some people.

I experience similar, smells were more intense. But my illness has made music more intense, so maybe it is my illness not the meds. Hope that it is working for you though.

I don't own a scale but I know I gained weight filling my Zyprexa script. Now off to the gym to work it baby! I'll read your thread, Helena.

This thing with super-strong scent sensitivity is new. I've loved scented things since I was old enough for mom to spray her perfume on me and now I'm afraid I might have to live in a blander smelling world. Even tastes are STRONG. maybe I have to give up the strong curries I love?! We shall see.

Day by day, so far so good. No issues except heartburn and acid reflux. I think I've gained some lbs but joined a gym and started watching my diet like a drill instructor. My pdoc said that all the cases of weight gain from Zyprexa she's seen have been due to Z making the body crave sugar so you go nuts and eat all this stuff wtih sugar, and gain weight. I allow mini treats for my sugar cravings and PLAN (I am devoted now and hope to maintain this resolution) to go to the gym for 30-60 mins a day to get my body into some form of shape.

Loon,

good to hear you are tolerating the Zyprexa. I think some people can gain weight on Zyprexa without the sugar cravings, etc. I have never had sugar or carb cravings while on Zyprexa, or any other AP for that matter, but I still gained some weight. I have always dropped the weight after I stopped the meds though.

However, your plan of exercising and mini-treats is great, IMO. Allowing yourself some sugary stuff is reasonable, much easier than trying to completely deny your body something it is craving. The exercise will be great to help combate any possible weight gain, plus the benefits of exercise can only help. -- I should really practice what I preach --.

Not adding anything you obviosuly already know, just wanted to say I'm glad you are doing well.

Erika

Heya Loon,

Kristina's post below called up something I'd forgotten.

Back when I was (briefly, guilt-ridden-ly) self-treating (without admitting my self-diagnosis!!) I also tried Zyprexa once (2.5 mg at bedtime) in an effort to get some sleep dammit, and had almost the exact same reaction as Kristina did, although it resolved by morning.

No idea what longer-term effects, good or bad, would have been.

But having trouble coming clean on this one to my FP or psychiatrist.

Will have to if they decide to try APs on me, I guess.

Sounds like things are going okay for you so far.  Keep an eye on your calorie (esp. sugar) intake, and eat your vegetables, and exercise reasonably, and you will hopefully stave off the crummy side effect of metabolic syndrome/weight gain/glucose intolerance.

The indigestion *could* be a side effect, but will most likely go away in a couple of weeks.  If not, chat with the prescribing doc about it.

Increased sensitivity to odours is a new one on me, interesting, although if you figure we're messing with nerves and their chemical receptors, nothing is surprising. 

You might become one of those people we're talking about -- those signs on our office doors that say "no perfumes because of our patients who are sensitive to smells."  Or else, life might just become that much more varied.

The smell thing happened to my mom after she stopped smoking.  She also bacame sensitive to tastes (her tastebuds grew back).  She discovered she didn't like salt or beer, and did like yogourt.

--ncc--

OK, I had the worst reaction to Zyprexa that I have ever had to any drug, I think.

That's interesting news NCC!

I have gained a few lbs so far on the Z. However, at the pdoc today, she asked me if I would be willing to just step up the already motivated exercise routine and cut sugar totally instead of giving up on Z.

I got canned last week so I have time to either sit on my  butt or move my butt. I'm going to move it. She said an hour a day of cardio and weights in a circuit every other day. And Pilates more often. Geez! No wonder she wants me on SSDI NOW. How else could I work out so much? ;)

She claims I'll get used to the new foods/diet and exercise, and maybe it won't be such a battle in time.

I am so overwhelmed with how things smell! Like the guy at the PC in front of me here in the library- he smells like he hasn't taken a shower/bath in several years. The benefit of getting caught in the rain is that you get a bath, whether you need it or not!

--------- heavier loon----------

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your posts, they're very interesting.  I noticed that Loon, you're on 400mg of Lamictal, too.  I read somewhere else on here that it causes intense muscle aches after you work out.  Are you getting these, too?

As far as the Zyprexa goes, I have been on 20mg for about 6 months and it has done well for my seemingly unstoppable mania.  I get a good night's sleep and good dream sleep, too.  The only problems I had were that I had to go to bed by 8 or 8:15.  I slept 14 hours on the weekends.  In the mornings when I had to get up and go to work, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get out of bed.  Not because I was depressed, bu because my body felt like 2 tons.

I did gain about 10-15 pounds of unlosable weight, and I didn't eat a lot.  If anything, I ate less.

It's so weird how differently these meds affect each one of us....

Archived