CrazyBoards.org

meds + me =still severely depressed

Hello

I've been on the same meds for about 6 months now and still severely depressed.

The nurse practitioner I see for meds in delighted that I'm "stable", but I don't see how crippling, laying in bed all the time depression is stable.  If being this depressed is stable, I'll take instability.

I'm dx'd bipolar, but I experience only depression.

AM    Wellbutrin 300

Abilify      15

PM    Paxil      50

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

LiLi

I've been on the same meds for about 6 months now and still severely depressed.

The nurse practitioner I see for meds in delighted that I'm "stable", but I don't see how crippling, laying in bed all the time depression is stable.  If being this depressed is stable, I'll take instability.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stable is good. Better than not knowing whether you are coming or going.

But it's not a long-term goal.

Leaving you in a condition in which you are 'severely depressed' and unable to get out of bed is negligent.

Depression is not a form of stability.

Depression can rot your brain. It slows down your thinking, dull your senses, makes you more prone to infections, etc.

So, I am not sure why your NP is delighted, except that perhaps she was afraid to deal with someone who was manic and now thinks that her job is done? I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems like there are some providers who will settle for a steady depression once the cycling is under control- stability becomes the ultimate prize, instead of a stepping stone. Because the predictable seems less threatening and more easily managed in comparison.

That's crap. You deserve better.

About what Revlow and Helena said-

In my case, Lamictal's AD properties worked well with Wellbutrin to help the depression aspect. I don't know what would work for you, but please tell your NP that this it is unreasonable and unfair to expect you to be pleased with the current results. Functional is the goal- not 'predictable' or 'stable'.

You want to live your life.

~navy~

• 2 weeks later...

I'm simply going to give you a few suggestions as to what you should discuss with your pdoc/GP about.

1.  Lamictal - Track record of making the depressive side of BP (esp. BPII) one hell of a lot better.

2.  Trazodone - May be blocking the receptors for serotonin that could actually make depression worse (which is why some SSRIs tend to provoke unintentional anxiety).  Biggest downside is that it makes you very sleepy, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're already sleeping too much, at least without a concurrent stimulant.

3.  Provigil - This will seem utterly bizarre, but I counteracted the sluggishness Trazodone gave me with what the MI community likes to call "legal speed", i.e., Provigil.  It worked quite well, may wish to give it a try if you choose to go on Trazodone.  If you're too sluggish to begin with, consider asking your pdoc.  Depression is a multifaceted concern that needs to be approached from an innumerable amount of angles... socially, energy-wise, and anxiolytically.  YMMV, discuss this extensively with your pdoc.

Archived