CrazyBoards.org

im starting this as it is something that consumes my mind. im constantly viewing images of stick thin girls and women.

u might wonder why i care, but i truly feel this is one of the major impacts on my eating disorder these unreal "role models" that are created for us thanks to the media.

so i need to vent - some i admire, some i hate, some i just feel plain sorry for.

nicole richie - how'd she drop all that weight so quickly?

mary-kate olsen - how'd she get through rehab and stay that small?

paris hilton - at least she has always been a twig!

beyonce - i got to say i love her curves!

i know there are heaps more but im just starting. i hate the way these people are never called sick when they are. its like the media loves it.

please feel free to continue to add to the list and vent away (if thats ok moderators)

i read that dj a.m broke off the engagement with nicole because of her partying too much while he was away. 

partying as in...'too much cocaine'.  that helps quite a bit with the weight loss process - which i unfortunately know from experience.  and after all, she *is* quite close with lindsay lohan, who recently announced she has been battling bulimia and a cocaine habit.

as for the others...who knows. mary-kate, shes small to begin with.  anorexia is a tough thing.  you cant really expect someone to gain massive amounts of weight after being released from a program.  i dont think youll ever see her on the heavier side.

i always look at celebrities and am jealous.  i always think, 'why is it so easy for them?'  but in reality...the truth is, its not.  they have trainers who work with them every day, they have nutritionists that have them on very strict diets,  its their life to look that good. 

do i really want to put the time and effort into that?  not really...

im starting this as it is something that consumes my mind. im constantly viewing images of stick thin girls and women.

u might wonder why i care, but i truly feel this is one of the major impacts on my eating disorder these unreal "role models" that are created for us thanks to the media.

so i need to vent - some i admire, some i hate, some i just feel plain sorry for.

nicole richie - how'd she drop all that weight so quickly?

mary-kate olsen - how'd she get through rehab and stay that small?

paris hilton - at least she has always been a twig!

beyonce - i got to say i love her curves!

i know there are heaps more but im just starting. i hate the way these people are never called sick when they are. its like the media loves it.

please feel free to continue to add to the list and vent away (if thats ok moderators)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I loved it a couple of years ago when Jamie Lee Curtis posed for some magazine in her underwear and no makeup and she looked like a NORMAL 40-something woman. Of my generation, 40-somthing, she was one to compare all my flaws to. Her face looked totally different without the makeup, the photo filters, etc. She had put on some weight, and her point was to help to stop this insanity of "thin" defines beautiful. I am 5'8" and weigh 170 pounds. I wear a size 14 on low water retention days and 16s on puffy days. I still "feel fat". I come from a long line of eastern european farmers. I gave birth to 2 10 pound babies. I am well proportioned and my lovers (well, I'm in a dry spell currently) have always loved my softness, curves.

Henri Matisse is my favorite painter. Look at the women he painted. Rafael, all the old masters their woman had rolls and rolls of flesh and were considered perfect. We are victims of our culture if we chose to be. What I did was I stopped looking at all those magazines 15 years ago. I don't watch TV, I am addicted to movies though, but I remind myself when I see someone like Halle Berry that she works out hours every day. Some of them say, "I don't do anything, I'm just lucky." 1 in a 5,000 women can look like Halle Berry without lifting a finger and eating what they want. It's a bunch of bullshit, propogated upon us so we buy more stuff, makeup, exercise clothes, special diets, all that crap.

Oh well, I'm ranting. I think the whole "cult of personality" is one big sick show, and unfortunately people think that there is something wrong with them because they don't look like Courteney Cox or Patricia Arquette. The kill themselves and deal with the pain that you've been talking about. All over an illusion. Its downright evil.

I don't know how old you are, I would suspect 20-something. Sad to say, I didn't get wise about my body and body image until my later 30's, and that is common. But the good news is, once you start feeling good, and free in your own skin, your true sensual, physical, sexual nature comes through and it doesn't seem to matter what the scales say--you have to beat the men away with a stick!  ;)

Hang in there Iona.

Suze

i just wanted to open up for people the opportunity to talk about this and how unrealistic it truly is.

when u are young, like myself, it is difficult to not look to these people as role models and say "i want to be like that" not realising what they go through to be that way.

i know the grass isnt always greener on the otherside. but it can be richer, skinny and better dressed then u. and to me that hurts a little.

i just wanted to open up for people the opportunity to talk about this and how unrealistic it truly is.

when u are young, like myself, it is difficult to not look to these people as role models and say "i want to be like that" not realising what they go through to be that way.

i know the grass isnt always greener on the otherside. but it can be richer, skinny and better dressed then u. and to me that hurts a little.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean to sound preachy...at all...if I did, I'm sorry. Believe me, I have the same issues and I'm middle-aged, that's how pervasive it is...I think it's a great thread. It's difficult for me to look at Salma Hayek or Sharon Stone, stars and celebs closer to my age and think, "man, if I only had a body like that, my life would be perfect." I purposely avoid looking at women in the media (except for movies) and I still get bombarded. Even the models in the so called "fat" magazine, Mode? aren't really fat in my view. They're sized 14s, most of them. I'd be happy to fit in my 14s comfortably all the time. I don't even think about 12 anymore. Although I did get there after my second son was born, but I worked out a LOT. It's hard...no doubt...

Suze

i also wanted to add...

its hard to have the perfect self esteem - especially for women.  there is far too much pressure out there...

im not heavy by any means...125lbs. BUT i always strive to be better. there is ALWAYS something to complain about.  why cant i get my stomach to be flatter? why do i have SO much cellulite? etc etc etc.

no one is perfect - not even the perfect women on tv.  hell, even they see themselves on tv and wonder who they are and how they got so perfect!  :)  

photoshop and makeup artists are wonderful tools! ;)

so i think that makes me feel a bit better. sometimes.

It can be disgusting! My husband got a free subscription to GQ... the latest issue has Jennifer Aniston in it, and she is pencil thin. And perfect. No wrinkles, or cellulite, just smooth body. But what a lot of younger women don't remember is that this is their JOB, I'll bet she'd love to flop down with a pizza, or go diving into margaritas and enchiladas. Really, I think we have the better lives!

That said, I'd also like to stray slightly off-topic and support what Saturnine said. It took me decades to finally like myself. I'm 43, and am just now comfortable with myself. I worried way too much in my 20's and 30's, and it's just not worth it. Love yourself for who you are. Being thinner or better dressed won't necessarily change your life. After well more than 25 years of "primping", I tend to be au naturale. I no longer even blow-dry my hair, and discovered wow! it looks good like that. Rarely wear much make-up. Generally look neat but don't own a pair of shoes that have heels on them.

Sorry, don't want to be preachy either. Just don't be hard on yourself!! ;)

After well more than 25 years of "primping", I tend to be au naturale. I no longer even blow-dry my hair, and discovered wow! it looks good like that. Rarely wear much make-up. Generally look neat but don't own a pair of shoes that have heels on them.
Right on, Rabbit! 

I'd just like to throw in that when I saw The Truth About Cats and Dogs (for the first time), I was bothered by the fact that I would choose Janeane Garofalo over Uma Thurman in a heartbeat. In fact, I want to have Janeane's children. Of course this was before Kill Bill.

I forgot the topic.

I'd just like to throw in that when I saw The Truth About Cats and Dogs (for the first time), I was bothered by the fact that I would choose Janeane Garofalo over Uma Thurman in a heartbeat. In fact, I want to have Janeane's children. Of course this was before Kill Bill.

I forgot the topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[threadjack] Don't you think Darryl Hannah was hotter than Uma? Tough call for me.

[/threadjack]

After well more than 25 years of "primping", I tend to be au naturale. I no longer even blow-dry my hair, and discovered wow! it looks good like that. Rarely wear much make-up. Generally look neat but don't own a pair of shoes that have heels on them.

I've been this way since I was fourteen.  I don't miss putting on my societally-expected painted face each morning, but it does bother me that some people consider me poorly-groomed for stopping at neatness and cleanliness, without adding on false layers.  The day men are expected to have the contours of their eyes artificially outlined in order to be attractive is the day I consider wearing make-up again. 

I'm too short to be Uma and too tall to be Jeanine.  Fiddlesticks. 

I insist, however, that these size 14s are temporary.  I know the size which feels comfortable and right.  Even if I'm still "too fat to be a professional" at size 9, I like it.  I'll be in shape again. 

I did my college internship with an airline and got to meet a lot of celebrities that way. Believe me, they look VERY different in person. My boyfriend is a professional photographer who works with internationally famous bands, and I've seen some of what his zoom lense can view. Not to disrespect women who work it on the stage singing, but under a digital zoom lense, you can see the zits, wrinkles, and shallow skin.

I'd rather have a few lbs on me and be me and be healthy (5'4 140lbs) than have a coke habit and throw up my food, or plain not eat food at all.

Gwen Stafani (sp) really works it. She's one celeb who admits that she would look like hell without exercising and dieting her ass off, and that she hates having to do it but it is mandatory in her field.

I'm not sure what's up with the big head/ultra-small body look that celebs are getting into. All of them are "partying" I think, or at least many.

never thought of that one grousemouse but its a good one :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iona

This is a great topic. I look back at pictures of myself in my 20's - (even got Class Cutest in the 8th grade) and still I hated myself. The truth of it is that it was not until my 40's that I started to really understand about inner/outer beauty. Its so true what Saturnine said, you project outwardly what you feel about yourself inwardly.

Archived