CrazyBoards.org

Your life doesn't have to remain like this. Are you receiving any help in the form of meds or therapy?

Committing suicide would only increase the chances of having a near death experience. As others have said above, please go to the ER or A&E if you feel that you are a risk to yourself

Yes, it's not okay that you're not functioning due to this worry. Something needs to change, maybe more than one thing, and maybe what ultimately helps will be something you wouldn't have imagined up until then. There is hope out there to be found, and talking to a professional who may be able to help you function better is an ideal first step towards it.

Even if the object of the fear (the possibility of these experiences) is immense in itself, there must be more to it, otherwise everyone who had ever heard or experienced or been able to imagine a future of terrible things would live in perpetual terror ... if, once treatment helps you function better and not feel suicidal, this is still something that still troubles you on any level, you will be better placed to try to find solutions

2 minutes ago, amianthus said:

Your life doesn't have to remain like this. Are you receiving any help in the form of meds or therapy?

Committing suicide would only increase the chances of having a near death experience. As others have said above, please go to the ER or A&E if you feel that you are a risk to yourself

Yes, it's not okay that you're not functioning due to this worry. Something needs to change, maybe more than one thing, and maybe what ultimately helps will be something you wouldn't have imagined up until then. There is hope out there to be found, and talking to a professional who may be able to help you function better is an ideal first step towards it.

Even if the object of the fear (the possibility of these experiences) is immense in itself, there must be more to it, otherwise everyone who had ever heard or experienced or been able to imagine a future of terrible things would live in perpetual terror ... if, once treatment helps you function better and not feel suicidal, this is still something that still troubles you on any level, you will be better placed to try to find solutions

I am starting to try meds now and will go into therapy soon.  I will present what I have written to my therapist and see what he has to say.  As for suicide, if I am put out as quick as possible, that will prevent any near death experience from happening.  If my brain shuts down as soon as possible, that will prevent any near death experience from happening.  But I hope you are right and I do really hope there is something that will bring my life back.

• Like 1

I'm so glad you're going to be receiving treatment- give the meds some time to work, and see what the therapist has to say. I bet things are not as bleak as you see them right now. 

2 hours ago, heilmania said:

I'm so glad you're going to be receiving treatment- give the meds some time to work, and see what the therapist has to say. I bet things are not as bleak as you see them right now. 

The only way my life can be better again is if I were to accept the possibility that I could have that experience I mentioned before.  But there is no way I can possibly accept that since that experience was so indescribably horrible.  As long as I don't accept that, then my life won't get better.  But there is no way for me to be fine with and accept this. If it were an experience that wasn't all that bad, then I would be not worried, would have my life back, and would find myself accepting such an experience if it were to happen.

Edited by MattMVS7

Matt, how many people do you know who have had near death experiences? I'm betting not very many because near death experiences are rare. Even much rarer are bad near death experiences. So you are worrying about something that is highly, highly unlikely to happen to you ever.

As long as you insist that the probability must be 0%, you will never be happy. If I get into a car, the odds are much greater that I will be in an accident than you have of having a nde. Yet I still get into my car. I still live my life. I don't  insist that the probably of getting into an accident be 0% before I will go anywhere. I just have faith in my driving skill to get me through.

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

Matt, how many people do you know who have had near death experiences? I'm betting not very many because near death experiences are rare. Even much rarer are bad near death experiences. So you are worrying about something that is highly, highly unlikely to happen to you ever.

As long as you insist that the probability must be 0%, you will never be happy. If I get into a car, the odds are much greater that I will be in an accident than you have of having a nde. Yet I still get into my car. I still live my life. I don't  insist that the probably of getting into an accident be 0% before I will go anywhere. I just have faith in my driving skill to get me through.

I think the probability of me having a near death experience is higher than what you are making it out to be.  

24 minutes ago, MattMVS7 said:

I think the probability of me having a near death experience is higher than what you are making it out to be.  

What is your basis for that? Do you know anyone who has had one? I don't. I haven't even heard of anyone who has had one except rarely in the media. How many people are in the United States? How come we aren't hearing about it every day?

1 minute ago, jt07 said:

What is your basis for that? Do you know anyone who has had one? I don't. I haven't even heard of anyone who has had one except rarely in the media. How many people are in the United States? How come we aren't hearing about it every day?

I even talked with my therapist before and he even said he had an nde.  This shows how common they are:

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/757401-how-common-are-near-death-experiences-ndes-by-the-numbers/

Ok. If I believe the latest and most liberal of the polls, as of 1992, 5% of the population had suffered a nde. That's FIVE percent - not fifty percent. This means that there is a 95% chance that you will never ever have a nde. Also, keep in mind that only a fraction of those ndes are horrifying. You have a GREATER THAN 95% chance of never having a negative nde.

3 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Ok. If I believe the latest and most liberal of the polls, as of 1992, 5% of the population had suffered a nde. That's FIVE percent - not fifty percent. This means that there is a 95% chance that you will never ever have a nde. Also, keep in mind that only a fraction of those ndes are horrifying. You have a GREATER THAN 95% chance of never having a negative nde.

But then again, there are a small percentage of people in the United States who suffer from depression and I so happen to be one of those people.  Here is what it says:

"Affects more than 15 million American adults, or about 6.7 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year. Persistent depressive disorder, or PDD, (formerly called dysthymia) is a form of depression that usually continues for at least two years."

So that is like saying I am 93.3% likely to not have depression.  But I have it.

Well, I got this from here:

In 2014, an estimated 15.7 million adults aged 18 or older in the United States. had at least one major depressive episode in the past year. This number represented 6.7% of all U.S. adults.

Notice that is PER YEAR. Not once in a lifetime. That is per year.

1 hour ago, jt07 said:

Well, I got this from here:

Notice that is PER YEAR. Not once in a lifetime. That is per year.

As for the near death experiences, the number of them could be much higher and that would even go for the hellish ones.  This would be because many people do not feel comfortable talking about them.  So who knows the actual percentage of ndes.  Even if it was a very low percentage, that would still make me worried.  I just simply cannot let this go which is why I will try talking with my therapist to see what we can do about this.

I am very glad that you will be talking to your therapist about this. Very glad. Your therapist and your psychiatrist are the hope you are looking for.

About your argument that people aren't reporting. That can be true in any survey. So let's say it is true. And let's be liberal and say that 5% didn't report. In other words, let's assume as many people didn't report than did. That still leaves you with better than a 90% chance of not getting a bad nde in your lifetime. I'd take those odds. If you had cancer and someone told you that you have a 90% chance of getting better, you'd be ecstatic. It just isn't worth worrying about.

You just don't hear of it that much, and if it were very prevalent, you would hear about it. I mean, you hear about depression in the news. You hear about bipolar disorder in the news, Why don't we hear more about ndes. It's because they are not that prevalent. 

10 hours ago, MattMVS7 said:

The only way my life can be better again is if I were to accept the possibility that I could have that experience I mentioned before.  But there is no way I can possibly accept that since that experience was so indescribably horrible.  As long as I don't accept that, then my life won't get better.  But there is no way for me to be fine with and accept this. If it were an experience that wasn't all that bad, then I would be not worried, would have my life back, and would find myself accepting such an experience if it were to happen.

You're thinking in very black-and-white terms. The only way for [bad thing] to not happen is if [this thing] and only [this thing]. Do you know what I mean? That type of thinking is totally something that therapy can help you with. 

If you're at the point where suicide is seeming like a good option (or any option), please go to the ER or call 911. It's never the only way. 

My mind is also desperately trying to hold onto this worry.  It does not ever want to let it go since it is something so horrible.  I do not feel comfortable at all letting this go.  Even though I want this worry to be gone since that would give me my life back and would allow me to function and do my hobbies, at the same time, my mind does not want to let it go. 

Edited by MattMVS7

8 minutes ago, MattMVS7 said:

My mind is also desperately trying to hold onto this worry.  It does not ever want to let it go since it is something so horrible.  I do not feel comfortable at all letting this go.  Even though I want this worry to be gone since that would give me my life back and would allow me to function and do my hobbies, at the same time, my mind does not want to let it go. 

I know that, Matt. That is the nature of obsessions, and I have had similar obsessions though not about ndes. This is where meds help. They weaken those thoughts so that you can effectively deal with them in therapy. Meds are just as important as therapy for breaking that bond.

As I said, you have plenty of hope with meds and therapy. You are not alone as we have a number of people who suffer similarly but the theme might be different. 

19 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I know that, Matt. That is the nature of obsessions, and I have had similar obsessions though not about ndes. This is where meds help. They weaken those thoughts so that you can effectively deal with them in therapy. Meds are just as important as therapy for breaking that bond.

As I said, you have plenty of hope with meds and therapy. You are not alone as we have a number of people who suffer similarly but the theme might be different. 

Yep! 

2 hours ago, jt07 said:

This is where meds help. They weaken those thoughts so that you can effectively deal with them in therapy. Meds are just as important as therapy for breaking that bond.

^^ Definitely agree with this.