CrazyBoards.org

bad to keep making a scab bleed?

When you open up a wound and make it bleed, there is room for infection.  Or you can develop a scar.  When I had chicken pox the DR said not to scratch the marks the best I could because when the scabs came off then grew back, I would get a scar.  I'd advise you to not pick at it.

14 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

When you open up a wound and make it bleed, there is room for infection.  Or you can develop a scar.  When I had chicken pox the DR said not to scratch the marks the best I could because when the scabs came off then grew back, I would get a scar.  I'd advise you to not pick at it.

Yeah, just something about looking at scabs and how they feels make me wanna pick them raw.

And i guess the bleeding can feel nice.

Yes, it is bad. My husband had scabs on his arms, long story, but he fell into what I think was more of a nervous habit, picked at them daily. He bought these elastized arm sleeves, that helped stop it, but he now has scars that might not ever fade.

Please, don't do it.

It is a really bad idea no matter how it makes you feel. It is a poor coping skill, there are better and safer coping skills you can learn. Off the top of my head here are some of the downsides:

Scars

Systemic infection, ie sepsis

Having an open pathway for other pathogens to infect you.

Edited by notloki
spelling

10 minutes ago, notloki said:

It is a really bad idea no matter how it makes you feel. It is a poor coping skill, there are better and safer coping skills you can learn. Off the top of my head here are some of the downsides:

Scars

^^^ This!

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Scars

i have been keeping it clean, though i have pretty much been Picking at it daily, i will try to stop.

1 hour ago, tyrantblade said:

i have been keeping it clean, though i have pretty much been Picking at it daily, i will try to stop.

Have you brought this behavior to the attention of your doctor? If it is truly an OCD compulsion, there are meds that can ease it. Also, I'd let my therapist know too.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well the one scab healed up, now I have two more on my leg and two on my face.

Plus a pimple type thing (the kind that swells a lot but is hard to pop the stuff out of and has a lot of clear liquid) was on my neck, so I cut into that to drain it and at the same time that bled, which I hated having to do as I wasn't doing it just to feel good, more out of necessity.

I'm glad that scab healed up.  I hope with the other 2 on your legs and the 2 on your face heal up also.  Have you seen a DR about these on you leg and face?  Cutting into the legs can be dangerous because you could hit the femoral artery. 

I just googled, "cutting into femoral artery" and there is a lot of info there to read about this.

And please be careful about the pimple on your neck.  I know which kind of pimples you are talking about and hate them too.  I'm not sure how deep you cut to drain the pimple, but cutting into your neck (depending on the site), you could hit the carotid artery which could cause problems also.

So I would see a DR to check you out and to make sure everything is ok.  I hope all the cuts heal up soon.

3 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

I'm glad that scab healed up.  I hope with the other 2 on your legs and the 2 on your face heal up also.  Have you seen a DR about these on you leg and face?  Cutting into the legs can be dangerous because you could hit the femoral artery. 

I just googled, "cutting into femoral artery" and there is a lot of info there to read about this.

And please be careful about the pimple on your neck.  I know which kind of pimples you are talking about and hate them too.  I'm not sure how deep you cut to drain the pimple, but cutting into your neck (depending on the site), you could hit the carotid artery which could cause problems also.

So I would see a DR to check you out and to make sure everything is ok.  I hope all the cuts heal up soon.

I only cut into the one on my neck and it stopped bleeding after about 5 minutes, the other ones are just scabs that I've picked at.