CrazyBoards.org

side effects

im just going to keep posting until i get some replies, advice or something.

can anyone tell me all the negative things they have heard that self induced vommitting can do to you physically,

so i will start

*gum disease

*tooth decay

can u add more. i think it is important we know what we are doing. i need to know what i am doing to my body when i make myself sick everyday.

HELP ME PLEASE

I don't have any advice and I don't know if this will help or not, but I found this info on the Something Fishy website.  Please try to take care of yourself, Iona.

Malnutrition - caused by undereating or overeating. The word malnutrition indicates deficiency for energy, protein and micronutrients (e.g. vitamin A, iodine and iron) either singularly or in combination. It can cause severe health risks including (but not limited to) respiratory infections, kidney failure, blindness, heart attack and death.

Dehydration - caused by the depletion or lack of intake of fluids in the body, or by restriction of carbohydrates and fat. Restriction/Starvation, vomiting and laxative abuse are the primary causes in sufferers of Eating Disorders. Symptoms include dizziness, weakness, or darkening of urine. It can lead to kidney failure, heart failure, seizures, brain damage and death.

Electrolyte Imbalances - electrolyte are essential to the production of the body's "natural electicity" that ensures healthy teeth, joints and bones, nerve and muscle impulses, kidneys and heart, blood sugar levels and the delivery of oxygen to the cells.

Hyponatremia (related to "water-loading") - as stated above, electrolytes are essential to proper body functioning. Drinking too much water (more than eight, eight-ounce glasses in less than twelve hours), can cause Hyponatremia (not enough sodium in the blood), especially in someone already malnurished or dehydrated. Hyponatremia can cause fluid in the lungs, the brain to swell, nauseousness, vomiting, confusion and even death.

Edema - swelling of the soft tissues as a result of excess water accumulation. It is most common in the legs and feet of Compulsive Overeaters and in the abdominal area of Anorexics and/or Bulimics (can be caused by Laxative and Diuretic use).

Tearing of Esophagus - caused by self-induced vomiting

Mallory-Weiss tear - associate with vomiting, a tear of the gastroesophageal junction

Gastric Rupture - spontaneous stomach erosion, perforation or rupture.

Gastrointestinal Bleeding - bleeding into the digestive tract.

Esophageal Reflux - Acid Reflux Disorders - partially digested items in the stomach, mixed with acid and enzymes, regurgitates back into the esophagus. This can lead to damage to the esophagus, larynx and lungs and increases the chances of developing cancer of the esophagus and voice box.

Reflux can sometimes become severe enough that food cannot be kept down at all and medical attention should be sought immediately.

Barrett's Esophagus - associated with Cancer of the esophagus and caused by Esophageal Reflux, this is a change in the cells within the esophagus.

Cancer - of the throat and voice box (Larynx) due to acid reflux disorders.

Swelling - in face and cheeks (following self-induced vomiting).

Callused or bruised fingers - this is caused by repeated using the fingers to induce vomiting.

Dry Skin and Hair, Brittle Hair and Nails, Hair Loss - cause by Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies, malnutrition and dehydration.

Disruptions in Blood Sugar Levels -

Low Blood Sugar/Hypoglycemia: can indicate problems with the liver or kidneys and can lead to neurological and mental deterioration.

Ketoacidosis - high levels of acids that build up in the blood (known as ketones) caused by the body burning fat (instead of sugar and carbohydrates) to get energy. It can be a result of starvation, excessive purging, dehydration, hyperglycemia and/or alcohol abuse (it can also be a result of uncontrolled or untreated diabetes). It can lead to coma and death.

Dental Problems, Decalcification of teeth, erosion of tooth enamel, severe decay, Gum Disease - will be caused by stomach acids and enzymes (from vomiting); vitamin D and calcium defiencies, and hormonal imbalance. Can also be due to the lack of exercise the teeth can get from the process of eating certain foods. Dental problems can sometime indicate problems with the heart.

Death caused by any of the following or any combination of the following: heart attack or heart failure; lung collapse; internal bleeding, stroke, kidney failure, liver failure; pancreatitis, gastric rupture, perforated ulcer, depression and suicide.

It can burn your oesophagus, rupture your oesophgus, rupture your stomach, lead to dehydration and possible kidney failure, screw with all your electrolyte balances (especially potassium) and give you a heart attack, depression, infertility, epilepsy, muscle cramps, loss of periods, swollen salivary glands, infections of the urinary tract (these have been lifted from a book called Not To Be Scoffed At: How to Overcome Eating Disorders by Anne-Marie Sapsted)

Good luck x

1. I have a badly scarred esophagus and developed a stricture where the esophagus can actually close so much as to not let food pass through.  I had to get it stretched back open.

2. constant sore throats and hoarseness

3. active bleeding from esophagus, had this for over a year daily.  see #1

4. low potassium ended up in cardio ward

5. severe GERD, I would wake up puking

These are the ones I have had, some caused by GERD AFTER bulimia wasn't active

Archived