CrazyBoards.org

question about driving and disability benefits

I'm unsure of the proper place for my question. Please, feel free to move it, if it doesn't belong here.

I currently receive disability benefits. I'm 29 and have never had my drivers permit or license. I never even tried. 

I now am experiencing an interest in trying to obtain a drivers permit and eventually my license. It will help a lot with getting to and from my appointments.

now, my question is, will getting my permit/license cause me to lose my benefits? Does anyone know? Has anyone else been in this same predicament? Please, let me know. There are few who are concerned, which now has me concerned.

i haven't conversed with my treatment team about it, but a few months ago when I was facing a potential review of my benefits, my doctor said he didn't feel I was ready to go back to work.

the thought of working again and being around others...is terrifying. I'd like to work eventually, but I'm unsure I can deal with it properly. In my opinion, there is a big difference between driving and working.

as far as I know, it was never said that I didn't have my license due to my illness. When I was in day hospital, there was lady with schizophrenia who drove everyday. Maybe she had her license before getting disability benefits, but should that really make a difference? 

Im diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, PTSD and GAD. I have called the place I go for psychiatric services and am currently waiting on a call back.

When I drove, at first it was before I had a MI.  When I got SSDI, I was still driving and keeping my license and getting it renewed was no problem at all.  They never asked about it either.  So I had no problems with driving and keeping my license. 

The reason I had to give it up was because I became unsafe to drive because of meds, anxiety, falling asleep without knowing it, seizure activity. But especially the anxiety and meds.

3 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

When I drove, at first it was before I had a MI.  When I got SSDI, I was still driving and keeping my license and getting it renewed was no problem at all.  They never asked about it either.  So I had no problems with driving and keeping my license. 

The reason I had to give it up was because I became unsafe to drive because of meds, anxiety, falling asleep without knowing it, seizure activity. But especially the anxiety and meds.

Thanks for the reply. I've never had my license or permit..never taken the tests before. I've been receiving disability benefits for a while. Some people think it may be a problem. That me getting my license may make them think i no longer need to be on disability.

8 minutes ago, meep said:

Thanks for the reply. I've never had my license or permit..never taken the tests before. I've been receiving disability benefits for a while. Some people think it may be a problem. That me getting my license may make them think i no longer need to be on disability.

That never happened to me.  I mean it is possible that things have changed over the years, or maybe what state you live in (if in the US).  But I never had a problem with it.

Edited by melissaw72

I didn't drive until I was like 19. Then just had a few good years but then had to quit driving for like 3 or 4 years because of panic and hallucinations. I was on SSDI when I was driving. I had my licence before I started receiving SSDI.

I do drive now but only to very familiar places and for very short distances. I don't drive on interstates or highways. I don't drive at night or if it is raining or snowing. I mostly just drive to appointments. Maybe 1-2 places a week (therapy and group therapy). It has never affected my SSDI. Having a licence doesn't suddenly make a person not disabled. Know what I mean?

I hate driving so much it causes me to panic. But I just have no choice. I don't qualify for the disabled bus transit because I was determined able to use the regular bus (lmao, now that's funny) and I don't have medicaid so I don't qualify for the other disabled bus transit.

Basically I am screwed. My husband says I have to be mobile. I have no friends or other family to rely on for rides. Husband works. My team/case managers are supposed to provide transportation to my appointments but I could never count on them to come. They are very unreliable. 

My advice? Practice driving regularly as much as you can. Do it daily or at least multiple times a week. If you stop it's hard to get that momentum going again if you panic about it like I do. But it is a good thing to have if you have no one to take you to appointments or do errands or get groceries, etc. 

I've been on disability a good portion of my life and got my license renewed while I was disabled. I've never encountered a problem because of it, to my knowledge. I live in the US in colorado, I don't see it being a problem if it's something that's that basic as being able to get around to appointments and actually helping your condition a little. Just because your able to drive now and then doesn't mean you can necessarily hold down regular work. My two pennies.

Edited by Grey Matter
gnh misremembering...