CrazyBoards.org

Ambien - Took one then the whole lot afterwards

So since I moved, I started having problems with sleep so I rang the GP and he gave me some Ambien(14 10mg tablets). I took one yesterday, woke up at noon, I took my morning meds and noticed that I had taken my whole prescription and didn't remember( plus I apparently I did a lot of things I didn't remember). I wish GPs would prescribe proper benzos...never had a problem with them.

Anyway, I know ambien makes you do crazy shit but has anyone experienced overdosing and not remembering.

(Btw, I can't tell my doctor because they wouldn't trust me with a single prescription ever again, plus I'm alright now).

8 minutes ago, Gearhead said:

You have to tell your doctor. If Ambien does that to you, it is clearly not the medication for you. It's not safe; you are very lucky to have come out of that experience OK.

It wasn't a repeat prescription so I dont have any more left. The prescription was one off. Plus I'm not suicidal or anything

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

6 hours ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

So since I moved, I started having problems with sleep so I rang the GP and he gave me some Ambien(14 10mg tablets). I took one yesterday, woke up at noon, I took my morning meds and noticed that I had taken my whole prescription and didn't remember( plus I apparently I did a lot of things I didn't remember). I wish GPs would prescribe proper benzos...never had a problem with them.

Anyway, I know ambien makes you do crazy shit but has anyone experienced overdosing and not remembering.

(Btw, I can't tell my doctor because they wouldn't trust me with a single prescription ever again, plus I'm alright now).

its a hypnotic so you can pretty much expect weirdness.  My SO had some conversations with me that I don't remember.  I woke up with underwear around my head once.  Mostly responding to questions that I don't care for.   And while I've never taken more then one a night I don't remember anything so its a bit scary.

Benzos are all on the list of drugs doctors are most freaking out about so I wish you good luck in getting them to prescribe them. 

I've heard some weird things done under Ambien.  Sleep "sex", Driving and my all time favorite.  Gaining 100lbs and finding hundreds of candy wrappers (And they were not purchases) so... Sleep shoplifting?

I don't think your doctor will freak out if you tell him. He'll probably just make sure not to prescribe Ambien or related drugs again. It's known that people do all kinds of crazy shit under its influence. There's even a Simpsons episodes about it. Luckily Ambien is not very toxic so in fact what you did is probably less alarming than if you had gone for a drive as many people do.

2 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

Luckily Ambien is not very toxic

I think it would be toxic seeing that the OP took 14 tablets of Ambien all at once.

It suppresses a person's CNS.  I'm glad the OP didn't die.

https://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

And then this:

http://blackbearrehab.com/ambien-abuse/overdose/

How much zolpidem do you have to take to overdose on this sedative-hypnotic drug? Strictly speaking, any time you take a higher dose than your doctor has prescribed, or you take the medication more frequently than it’s been prescribed, you have overdosed. An overdose of zolpidem is always a threat to your health. But when you exceed a certain level of sedation, you are at risk of severe central nervous system depression, loss of consciousness and death.

34 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

I think it would be toxic seeing that the OP took 14 tablets of Ambien all at once.

It suppresses a person's CNS.  I'm glad the OP didn't die.

https://www.drugs.com/ambien.html

And then this:

http://blackbearrehab.com/ambien-abuse/overdose/

I looked it up today..someone has to take much much more in order for it to be deadly...(not saying a number)

5 hours ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

I looked it up today..someone has to take much much more in order for it to be deadly...(not saying a number)

Do you have a source to cite where you are getting your information from?

Also, everyone is different and metabolize meds differently.  What dose might end someone's life, might not end another's.

5 minutes ago, melissaw72 said:

Do you have a source to cite where you are getting your information from?

Also, everyone is different and metabolize meds differently.  What dose might end someone's life, might not end another's.

I do but I don't think it would be appropriate to post it because it basically tells you how many mg it takes for the pill to kill you and that's against the rules of cb if I'm correct.

I'll post the link if the mods don't have problem with it.

18 hours ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

Simple answer: yes, I have. 

It was when I first started receiving treatment as a teenager and they medicated every symptom I had with a different medication (not good, way over medicated). It was less than a week I was on it when one night I went to bed, "woke up" in the middle of the night, walked around my room "searching for something" I didn't even know I was looking for, and went back to bed. The next morning I found a bunch of empty pill bottles and throw up next to my desk. My parents called my Pdoc and I was told not to take it again.

I took Ambien as prescribed, with zero intentions of doing anything. But as said above Ambien is a hypnotic and can cause some real strange things. In my own situation I was already over and improperly medicated, so adding a medication like Ambien caused bad adverse affects.

Even though many people take ambien successfully, some people don't tolerate it well. I would suggest you be honest with your Pdoc about sleepwalking so it can be properly documented for future treatment reference and you safety. Considering sleepwalking and doing other weird things with no memory is common, I don't think your doctor would think it was all you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloane said:

Simple answer: yes, I have. 

It was when I first started receiving treatment as a teenager and they medicated every symptom I had with a different medication (not good, way over medicated). It was less than a week I was on it when one night I went to bed, "woke up" in the middle of the night, walked around my room "searching for something" I didn't even know I was looking for, and went back to bed. The next morning I found a bunch of empty pill bottles and throw up next to my desk. My parents called my Pdoc and I was told not to take it again.

I took Ambien as prescribed, with zero intentions of doing anything. But as said above Ambien is a hypnotic and can cause some real strange things. In my own situation I was already over and improperly medicated, so adding a medication like Ambien caused bad adverse affects.

Even though many people take ambien successfully, some people don't tolerate it well. I would suggest you be honest with your Pdoc about sleepwalking so it can be properly documented for future treatment reference and you safety. Considering sleepwalking and doing other weird things with no memory is common, I don't think your doctor would think it was all you.

Thanks for your reply, I feel really anxious about telling my gp. If I need sleeping pills again, I'll say no to ambien but I feel like I cant tell my gp about my weird exp. I wish they'd give me benzos to be honest