CrazyBoards.org

Anyone else have their doctor hide their diagnosis from them?

I only found out I was schizoaffective after one day reviewing my records. I was told bipolar by my first inpatient doctor even after she changed the diagnosis. Now to be honest I kept asking the doctor am I schizophrenic am I schizophrenic like my sister. She said no no no. Yet on the records she changed my original diagnosis from bipolar to schizoaffective. All my outpatient doctors diagnosed me as bipolar till my recent outpatient psychiatrist diagnosed me as schizoaffective. So that pretty much confirmed it as well. When I first read my records I was in denial but I have come to accept the diagnosis. The treatment for bipolar 1 and schizoaffective is pretty much the same so it didn't really matter but the label. We see people with bipolar all the time feel comfortable saying oh yeah im bipolar but not many schizophrenics are as comfy. So there is a stigma within a stigma of mental illnesses. Id rate depression as the least stigmatized along with ocd. Then bipolar schizophrenia and at the end psychopathy. Not that any of that matters because all mental illnesses suck as we all know.

I was told after being observed during a lengthy state hospital stay. I don't think they were hiding it. I was in denial too. I just barely accepted my incorrect bipolar diagnosis and I thought no way do I have a SZ diagnosis. But after hearing it so many times from so many pdocs I accepted it, it was a process. 

As far as stigma goes, I tell people that I have bipolar when I need to tell someone (a non mental health professional). I don't tell people I have SZA or say I have a SZ disorder. Way too much stigma. You are right though every MI sucks and it's too bad there is so much stigma. And I agree that the treatment matters most as well. 

4 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

How did the DR hide the diagnosis from you?  From what you write it doesn't sound to me like anyone was hiding the Dx from you.  Am I missing something?

I agree.

My first inpatient doctor changed my diagnosis to schizoaffective but even after she changed it she kept telling me i was bipolar and never informed me i was schizoaffective. So she was the one who hid it from me.

2 hours ago, JustGotOut said:

My first inpatient doctor changed my diagnosis to schizoaffective but even after she changed it she kept telling me i was bipolar and never informed me i was schizoaffective. So she was the one who hid it from me.

I'm glad you know what it is now.

Yeah, a really bad doctor I had when I was IP wrote down I was autistic without telling me anything...

-I am not, my outpatient pdoc erased that from my 'recent' medical history, you have to read the whole records to find I once was diagnosed with it-.

Edited by Bixo

3 minutes ago, heilmania said:

I don't know that my psychiatrist is hiding my diagnosis, but he won't pin one down. A year into hearing voices, and he still has me down as "some form of psychosis".

Mine does more or less the same, I guess it's because I am too young and he wants to know me better before writing something that would be on my medical records forever.

1 minute ago, Bixo said:

Mine does more or less the same, I guess it's because I am too young and he wants to know me better before writing something that would be on my medical records forever.

Hey, at least it's not just me! I'm sure he has his reasons. I really like and trust him.

Some people really freak out when given a diagnosis. Treatment consists of treating the symptoms so time is better spent working on controlling those. It not really hidden from you, every claim to insurance MUST has a diagnosis to get paid. It will usually be in the DSM coding system or ICD. In many illnesses having a more specific diagnosis gives you access to different drugs and treatment modalities. In mental illness psychosis is psychosis, it needs to be treated thoroughly but there are limited options, many options are just a remake of another medication. There really is not much difference between treatment plans for schizophrenia vs schizoaffective. It also comes down to what works for you that has an acceptable side effect profile. Drugs are more chosen based on what you tolerate.

HIPPA allows mental health personnel to make the call on whether to show you your records or if they have good reason to believe it will be counter productive not show certain passages. Only mental illness has this protection, in physical medicine they are obligated to disclose all, per HIPPA. 

3 hours ago, notloki said:

Some people really freak out when given a diagnosis. Treatment consists of treating the symptoms so time is better spent working on controlling those. It not really hidden from you, every claim to insurance MUST has a diagnosis to get paid. It will usually be in the DSM coding system or ICD. In many illnesses having a more specific diagnosis gives you access to different drugs and treatment modalities. In mental illness psychosis is psychosis, it needs to be treated thoroughly but there are limited options, many options are just a remake of another medication. There really is not much difference between treatment plans for schizophrenia vs schizoaffective. It also comes down to what works for you that has an acceptable side effect profile. Drugs are more chosen based on what you tolerate.

HIPPA allows mental health personnel to make the call on whether to show you your records or if they have good reason to believe it will be counter productive not show certain passages. Only mental illness has this protection, in physical medicine they are obligated to disclose all, per HIPPA. 

That explains a lot!