CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc is considering having me go on Vraylar instead of the abilify.  He told me that Vraylar can give a persons "spark" back, which is what I desperately need right now.

Has anyone have good or bad experiences with Vraylar?

Any side effects that stand out?

Any comments, suggestions, personal stories, etc welcomed.

I like Vraylar. I was on it back in March for the first time for about a month and a half and then developed this weird akathisia/RLS-like thing and had to quit, but recently have resumed it and it works just fine. It's not nearly as "stimulatory" as Abilify was for me, but I think I can definitely say I feel it doing something good up in there. My anxiety is down, I'm more patient, but I wouldn't say I have my spark back, per se. It's one of the best antipsychotics I've taken I'd say.

2 hours ago, mikrw33 said:

I like Vraylar. I was on it back in March for the first time for about a month and a half and then developed this weird akathisia/RLS-like thing and had to quit, but recently have resumed it and it works just fine. It's not nearly as "stimulatory" as Abilify was for me, but I think I can definitely say I feel it doing something good up in there. My anxiety is down, I'm more patient, but I wouldn't say I have my spark back, per se. It's one of the best antipsychotics I've taken I'd say.

Thank you for this information!

My pdoc also mentioned EPS symptoms, but it is hard to tell who will get them or not until you try the med.  I'm glad you resumed it because it sounds like it works really well for you.

If it could get my anxiety down and help me to be more patient, that would be a bonus.  I think Abilify is probably doing something (been on it for 13 years), but also feel like I need a change.  Pdoc and I need to help the anxiety, stress and help give me the "spark" back.  Nothing is helping, and without adding another new med, we would exchange the abilify for the Vraylar.  Even if the Vtaylar did 2 out of those 3 things that would help more than the abilify is now.

Have you experienced weight gain on it?

39 minutes ago, Butterflykisses said:

I hated Vraylar. It caused me not to sleep for 5 days. It made me hyper and manic and restless. I am now on Seroquel and am sleeping and not manic or restless. I only lasted on Vraylar for 2 weeks. 

Wow ... thanks for posting.  If I go on it, I will keep this all in mind.

13 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

Have you experienced weight gain on it?

Not that I can tell. I think any weight gain I've experienced has been from other meds or just bad dieting. It appears to be truly weight neutral. In fact, when I first started it, I lost weight because it did cause a little nausea.

2 minutes ago, mikrw33 said:

Not that I can tell. I think any weight gain I've experienced has been from other meds or just bad dieting. It appears to be truly weight neutral. In fact, when I first started it, I lost weight because it did cause a little nausea.

Ok, thanks.  Good to know.

What about psychosis? Does it help with that? Abilify gave me the best antidepressant effect of any drug I've ever taken. However, it made me manic and didn't help with psychotic symptoms. Right now, I'm stabilized so I don't want to touch anything but was wondering about trying  Vraylar in the future or perhaps in conjunction with clozapine.

6 hours ago, CeremonyNewOrder said:

What about psychosis? Does it help with that? Abilify gave me the best antidepressant effect of any drug I've ever taken. However, it made me manic and didn't help with psychotic symptoms. Right now, I'm stabilized so I don't want to touch anything but was wondering about trying  Vraylar in the future or perhaps in conjunction with clozapine.

I'm not on Vraylar now to know if it helps with psychosis or not.  That is a good point though.  For me Abilify did not make me manic, but does help with psychotic symptoms.  Idk if Vraylar would help with psychosis or not.  Something I'll keep in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Vraylar. It's tremendously helpful. I am definitely more patient, and a lot more calm, but not sedated. I do have trouble sleeping without a sedating med. That said, it's been weight neutral. Although I did have diarrhea for the first week I was on it, and then again when we increased. This went away after a week. I do find myself moving around a lot more, but again I really am more calm. It also really, really, really lifted my depression. Like, better than anything else.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, La La LOLocaust said:

I'm on Vraylar. It's tremendously helpful. I am definitely more patient, and a lot more calm, but not sedated. I do have trouble sleeping without a sedating med. That said, it's been weight neutral. Although I did have diarrhea for the first week I was on it, and then again when we increased. This went away after a week. I do find myself moving around a lot more, but again I really am more calm. It also really, really, really lifted my depression. Like, better than anything else.

Man, that's good news. Thank you for posting.

2 hours ago, La La LOLocaust said:

Thanks for posting ... I'm really glad it is helping you!  It is good to hear that it has really lifted your depression.  That is the main thing we're looking for ... to lift the depression so I might get that "spark" back in life.  Good to know it is weight-neutral also.  Thanks again!

I start Vraylar tonight. Fairly nervous about it. I'm Manic Type 1, with schizo-tendencies. And hearing that people feel more manic has me worried.

I just ended olanzapine (zyprexa) generic. That stuff knocked me out for 2 weeks. Affected job performance as I was late to work and uninterested in my job to the point where i received a written warning. I took myself off it after 2 weeks. After immense lethargic and weight gain (10lbs in 1.5 weeks!)

Before that I was on and off Invega for about 7-8 years. It worked. It didn't. I caused an uncomfortable fog.

Anyway, just some background. I'll report back when I get going on it.

I've been on Vraylar for around one month now I think. I started off at 1.5 mg than my pdoc upped it to 3 mg. I had startup side effects for the first few days (headache, motion sickness feeling) but those went away. It lifted my depression and I think I may be a bit hypomanic on it. I am spending more money, wanting to spend money, and not sleeping as well. I take Seroquel in conjunction with it as you can see in my signature. I used to have really bad social anxiety but my social anxiety is cured now.

I'm posting my update on Vraylar. I took it for 5 days and it did not go well. But don't let that discourage you, just some information.

I ended up having some serious insomnia. Waking up at 2-3am every night, even a day after not taking it. I'd toss and turn and feel agitated to the point where I'd go and have 2-3 cigs trying to fall asleep to no avail. I'd fall asleep at 4am and wake up again at 6am.

Did I mention I felt agitation? Like skin crawling. Didn't feel calm or comfortable, it was constant anxiousness in a way. The skin crawling if you well also felt like i would have bugs on me from time to time. It was the worst when I was laying in bed. Gross.

I has some nausea. No matter if I ate or drank enough water. I had this uneasy feeling in my stomach. It also made me not want certain foods. Typically heavier foods like bread or oatmeal. Which I eat on a normal basis.

Overall it felt like I was being pulled. Mostly in a kind of physical sense, but also a little mentally cause of the physical stress. I really didn't notice my thoughts or mind slow down that much. Maybe enough that I didn't notice them. But I was also noticing a lot of weird physical side effects so my mind didn't think about anything else.

I stopped. And I'm expecting to feel the effects of it for this next week. I still feel it and I haven't taken it in 36 hours. My pdoc agreed to stop and i'll check in with him in a week.

17 hours ago, FloodedArk said:

I'm posting my update on Vraylar. I took it for 5 days and it did not go well. But don't let that discourage you, just some information.

I ended up having some serious insomnia. Waking up at 2-3am every night, even a day after not taking it. I'd toss and turn and feel agitated to the point where I'd go and have 2-3 cigs trying to fall asleep to no avail. I'd fall asleep at 4am and wake up again at 6am.

Did I mention I felt agitation? Like skin crawling. Didn't feel calm or comfortable, it was constant anxiousness in a way. The skin crawling if you well also felt like i would have bugs on me from time to time. It was the worst when I was laying in bed. Gross.

I has some nausea. No matter if I ate or drank enough water. I had this uneasy feeling in my stomach. It also made me not want certain foods. Typically heavier foods like bread or oatmeal. Which I eat on a normal basis.

Overall it felt like I was being pulled. Mostly in a kind of physical sense, but also a little mentally cause of the physical stress. I really didn't notice my thoughts or mind slow down that much. Maybe enough that I didn't notice them. But I was also noticing a lot of weird physical side effects so my mind didn't think about anything else.

I stopped. And I'm expecting to feel the effects of it for this next week. I still feel it and I haven't taken it in 36 hours. My pdoc agreed to stop and i'll check in with him in a week.

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

There is a lot here to consider ...

I am having severe agitation now (since last Saturday) and I am not even on it. 

(in bold) ... Wow ... you just described how I was feeling at my worst over this past weekend.

I have zofran if I would need it for any nausea.

When you say you felt like you were being pulled (both physically and mentally), what did it feel like?  you mean pulled in a 'manic' type-way, so that you were very on-the-go ... as well as your mind was racing?

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.  I hope you can find something that can take its place.

I will probably still try it if it can be filled with insurance covering it, or get samples from my pdoc for awhile.

I appreciate you posting!

1 hour ago, melissaw72 said:

Thank you so much for posting this!!!

There is a lot here to consider ...

I am having severe agitation now (since last Saturday) and I am not even on it. 

(in bold) ... Wow ... you just described how I was feeling at my worst over this past weekend.

I have zofran if I would need it for any nausea.

When you say you felt like you were being pulled (both physically and mentally), what did it feel like?  you mean pulled in a 'manic' type-way, so that you were very on-the-go ... as well as your mind was racing?

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.  I hope you can find something that can take its place.

I will probably still try it if it can be filled with insurance covering it, or get samples from my pdoc for awhile.

I appreciate you posting!

I felt like I was being pulled more physically. I'm in the manic range already. It wasn't exactly like when I'm manic and my mind is pushing so hard that my body has to keep up. It was more that my body couldn't slow down and my mind had to go with it. Which felt way worse. I felt the pull the most Monday morning going to work after an insomnia night. My adrenaline was going and my body was amped up even though I hadn't had much sleep. My body felt high octane and my mind was kept so calm. It was disturbing. I don't know how else to explain it. My body was pulling me and my mind couldn't grasp it, but just got pulled along. It was more of a physically mania than a mental mania.

It's ok. I'm personally glad it didn't work out. I've had a back and forth relationship with antipsychotics in the best 10 years since my hospitalization and diagnosis. I'm on the lighter side of manic-schizoaffective tendencies too. I'd personally rather manage my mania with mood stabilizers, a therapist, and friends than an antipsychotic.

Give it shot! Good luck!

Edited by FloodedArk
spelling