CrazyBoards.org

After all, is it offensive?

This narrative has to be told this way? 

Does this bring awareness? 

Has some good impact?

I'm thinking about the story telling....

I'm bringing this up because it seems that this is the only narrative that I get.

I like the edition and the 'over expressive dance' even tough I think it's too close to Sia to not think about Sia.

I think it was too graphic to publicise. I mean, yeah, all of those things are (unfortunately for the graphic abuse) reality for a lot of people in the LGBT+ community, but in the case of the surgery for the trans person, that is a very private matter and not all trans people do surgically transition, for many reasons, and that isn't what makes us valid people who should have the same rights as any other human. 

I think, in a general sense, there does need to be a lot more awareness about the problems and lack of human rights we face for no real reason, but general, not graphic imagery, especially in the case of assault and abuse. That should solely be left up to the person that went through it to describe and talk about, or not. 

Likewise for any type of transitioning a trans person may go through to be more comfortable in their skin. That shouldn't be advertised like that, its a very personal matter. 

Maybe I am seeing it the wrong way, but that is my opinion. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

I never find anything offensive.

Someone spent time creating that using his/her talent and creativity...calling someone's form of expression offensive is pointless. This is coming from someone who is studying film and has completed media at college.

This sums up my opinion.

0e0.jpg

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

10 minutes ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

^^^ Because its not just some blasé matter?

I am not offended perse, I just think some proper thought should have gone into it, considering the graphic content of such a sensitive and important issue that effects many vulnerable people. 

I agree with you but we can't censor ones creativity for the material not to upset someone.

It's just a music video at the end up the day not a support video.

People are going to watch things that will upset them, we can't change that.

You know, I've been seeing things of suicide in metal music, like Five Finger Death Punch's "The Bleeding" And also in Stone Sour's "Hesitate" and then there are two Hellyeah videos about abuse. I am not offended by them, but i feel like (oh yeah Disturbed, "Into the Fire" has like 3 versions so yeah it's a video about suicide too) some of this is glorifying these actions, giving them a spin in which someone who's vulnerable, someone who's already obsessing on suicide or being victimized, that seeing things like this only furthers them down into their dark hole of safeness. Sure, we don't want to censor artists, but at the same time, I don't think the spins on suicide is something we need to have. 

It's not just music videos, it's movies too. One of my new favorite movies, "Cloud Atlas" has some really heavy concepts, and it talks about suicide right off the bat. I just feel conflicted on this. As if just because such a thing can be made and seen by the public, should it? I don't have all the answers, just a chick on the internet with an opinion. An on the fence, conflicted opinion no less. I mean living with the kind of abuse the Hellyeah songs "Hush" or "Moth" talk about and depict, I can't imagine. I don't know. I know art is meant to be a reflection of life, and life is not all peaches & cream with a dozen dew covered roses waiting for you at home. 

*edited to add*

If you wish I will delete my post, I haven't wanted to start this conversation up, but as it's going already I figure joining in wouldn't hurt. If my post is deemed out of place I won't be offended if its removed.

Edited by Duelist

The "upset" isn't the issue. It is even beyond a point of being glorified. 

Its the fact that things like graphic abuse and murder occur on a daily basis and nobody cares, and the world just goes on like it is a non-issue, and like the people that die or are impacted for their whole life because of post traumatic stress, even more than they already are just because that is part of being who we are, are nothing, and don't deserve any concerns. 

Like we aren't humans that deserve privacy and discretion if we so choose. 

Like our lives are a movie, or music video, or what-have-you. 

When it is real. So many of us have to risk our safety and well-being every day. Miss out on basic human rights every day. Deal with post traumatic stress for the rest of our lives because of bigoted people that think its cool, or even funny to abuse us. 

I am sick to death of seeing things in the media about people like me that involve zero thought at all, just for publicity and personal gain. 

Edited by Hopelessly Broken

2 hours ago, Duelist said:

You know, I've been seeing things of suicide in metal music[...]

It's not just music videos, it's movies too. One of my new favorite movies, "Cloud Atlas" has some really heavy concepts, and it talks about suicide right off the bat.

I saw Cloud Atlas with my mother and to me and specially to her the movie was about spirituality and reincarnation.

I used to contemplate self destructive songs and maybe as young it would encourage some self destructive behavior but also as an adult, today, I was exposed to beer too often on a movie that on the middle of it I drink one beer... -_-'

Art is somehow subjective, like this song, I heard this song and I could relate to it as something BDD and addiction but I guess it fitted this theme as well and now I think fits better and just changed the lyrics for me...

I don't think is anything wrong with your post but I'm not a moderator.

====

@The Right Honourable Jimmy I think you can be highly tolerant but are you sure nothing offends you? *this isn't to reply, just for the sake of human behavior.

I didn't bring this up as something that would mold my 'art' or any self regulatory form of expression.

I brought this up because I want to know if there's any value in this or it's just exploring in someone else's expanse, tragedy or coming out as sensationalism.

I was just wondering if youtube policies of stopping monetization applies to this kind of content.

Exploring tragedy as means of monetization is currently under video that you can't capitalize on.

Sia's new clip FOR ME was a sort of exploration and insincere even tough you can't make the associations that I did and for sure can feel anything about it.

That's my judgement anyways and how I felt about it (on the last part of this post)

=======

3 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

^^^ Because its not just some blasé matter?

I am not offended perse, I just think some proper thought should have gone into it, considering the graphic content of such a sensitive and important issue that effects many vulnerable people. 

Is it graphic in a way that looks sensationalist? 

1 hour ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

The "upset" isn't the issue. It is even beyond a point of being glorified. 

I didn't get as something glorying any of the issues (drug abuse, mental health, relationship abuse, gender identity...)

What I got from it was stereotypes and just saying a thing that for me wasn't new but at least I guess had a happy ending... 

1 hour ago, uncomfortable thoughts said:

@The Right Honourable Jimmy I think you can be highly tolerant but are you sure nothing offends you? *this isn't to reply, just for the sake of human behavior.

I can find something insulting, but not offensive.

I don't let opinions, statements or videos like this video provoke me. This is the internet after all. 

Malcolm X said 'Be the change you want to see in the world', if something bothers me I make sure I don't do it. If I don't like the context of a video because it can have a bad effect on others, I'll make sure I don't use that context in any videos I make.

I'm not going to petition for it to be taken down because that's a violation of freedom of expression which is a value that I hold very firmly. 

Edited by The Right Honourable Jimmy

49 minutes ago, The Right Honourable Jimmy said:

I can find something insulting, but not offensive.

I don't let opinions, statements or videos like this video provoke me. This is the internet after all. 

Malcolm X said 'Be the change you want to see in the world', if something bothers me I make sure I don't do it. If I don't like the context of a video because it can have a bad effect on others, I'll make sure I don't use that context in any videos I make.

I'm not going to petition for it to be taken down because that's a violation of freedom of expression which is a value that I hold very firmly. 

Fair enough.

I guess I'm too, someone not as easily offended but I think unfortunately I can be easily provoked.

32 minutes ago, Wooster said:

@uncomfortable thoughts I"m curious about your intention in posting this in the queer section of the board.

Are you asking trans folks if they individually find it offensive?

My intentions are in knowing what can be worthy and what can be sensationalist.

I made the decision to post after seeing it but it has more to do with artistic portraits of this subject.

I don't know, maybe I didn't think this trough and thinking this way was a bad idea.

Is those intentions against the rules of the board?

I mean, if it's just sensationalist and will not touch anyone in a good way it has no value...

51 minutes ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

Yes, it does come across as sensationalist and like it is a minor issue. I wrote my opinion as to why. 

4 hours ago, Hopelessly Broken said:

I am sick to death of seeing things in the media about people like me that involve zero thought at all, just for publicity and personal gain. 

Thanks. We share this same opinions that it looks like something for personal gain and publicity.

Do you agree that the Sia's video is also for her own publicity and personal gain?

Edited by uncomfortable thoughts

Just now, Hopelessly Broken said:

I haven't seen it. If its anything like that, I won't be able to watch it. 

Sia's music video is subtle but is also about something sensitive and real but I think she used for her own personal and publicity gain.

I can't know for sure on both cases.

On both cases I perceive as an outsider.