CrazyBoards.org

Risperdal induced panic attack

I was recently prescribed Risperdal for Psychosis at a dose of 1mg twice a day and every time I take it I get panic attacks of varying intensity, usually involving a fear that my heart would stop. It was really severe today and I want to know if anyone has experienced anything similar on Risperdal and if I should stop taking it.

They discharged you without giving you a follow-up appointment with a psychiatrist?

I strongly suggest that you get a regular psychiatrist. In the meantime, go to a GP and tell them your symptoms. I wouldn't stop any med without talking it over with a doctor. Maybe they can switch you to something else,

Don't just stop taking it without a doctor's approval because whatever put you in the hospital in the first place is going to come back strong.

I don't know where you are located, but in my state in the US, there are low cost and no cost doctors for the poor.

I'm in Georgia and what put me in the hospital did start to come back, even when I was taking the Risperdal. I tried taking the risperdal only when I had to because I only got one prescription of 60 pills and I'm afraid of what might happen if I can't find a psychiatrist in time to prescribe me more or something else and I would run out of it.

Look into finding a doctor like right now so you can get into see them before you do run out. I think it is horrible that they would discharge you from the hospital without making a follow-up appointment with a psychiatrist. When I was in the hospital, they made all my appointments for me and everything so that when they discharged me I was all set to go.

Here there are doctors who work on a sliding scale. A few years ago, I didn't have insurance, and it cost me $20 to see a GP (family practitioner). I'll bet if you hunt around in your area, you can find one too.

I was discharged from the hospital ama, partly because my Dad didn't like what the drugs I was given were doing to me, partly because I had my first serious panic attack while I was there and all they did was give me Paxil(which I was also prescribed when I left, 40mm a day for 30 days) so I didn't want to be there anymore because I thought they would let me die.

They prescribed me both, I was already taking risperdal in the hospital and that's why I had my panic attack, I asked them to call the physician to see if I was having a heart attack or stroke and they said I was fine and gave me paxil to calm me down. After I was discharged I always take the paxil with the first pill of risperdal.

Well, as I said, Paxil is very effective against anxiety and panic but you have to take it regularly.

I'm most concerned with the fact that you don't currently have a doctor of any kind. I think you need to start looking into that immediately.

I'm sorry. It is often the case that our loved ones don't want to believe that we are sick or else they try to minimize our illnesses. I still think it is worth talking to him about seeing a doctor. You can tell him that if you see a doctor regularly, then you won't have to go back to the hospital. Maybe he will listen if you put it like that. Make sure he understands how much you suffer.

2 hours ago, nestor said:

I think I convinced him to take me to a psychiatrist but I don't know how long it will take to schedule an appointment. 

Yeah, it could be a while, but I'm glad he is going to take you to a psychiatrist. That is really good news. I think you definitely should look into Medicaid then your appointment and meds won't cost you or your father anything.