CrazyBoards.org

Med Cocktail for ADHD and Bipolar 2, mostly depressed side.

Habing a hard time getting stabilized...  Was doing well on Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Dexedrine but blood platelets bottomed out. Also was on Seroquel and Lamictal,

Stopped Zoloft and DEX (causing platelet issues) and also stopped Lamictal over the course of a year.

Started on Effexor 225 mg (which doesnt affect platelets) but I feel like Im becoming dysphoric, irritable, more anxious. Its making my anxiety worse. 

Anyone have good cocktail ideas? I'm thinking of going back on Lamictal, maybe wellbutrin and a tricyclic...I don't know (or Buspar)...The problem is I can't take anything with Seratonin (SSRI or AMPS)...Perhaps concerta next as it has no seratonin reuptake. 

On 9/16/2016 at 11:49 PM, alivetoday said:

Habing a hard time getting stabilized...  Was doing well on Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Dexedrine but blood platelets bottomed out. Also was on Seroquel and Lamictal,

Stopped Zoloft and DEX (causing platelet issues) and also stopped Lamictal over the course of a year.

Started on Effexor 225 mg (which doesnt affect platelets) but I feel like Im becoming dysphoric, irritable, more anxious. Its making my anxiety worse. 

Anyone have good cocktail ideas? I'm thinking of going back on Lamictal, maybe wellbutrin and a tricyclic...I don't know (or Buspar)...The problem is I can't take anything with Seratonin (SSRI or AMPS)...Perhaps concerta next as it has no seratonin reuptake. 

Are you sure you know which drug was affecting the platelet counts?

Why can't you take anything that affects serotonin? Are you aware that venlafaxine (Effexor) is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, with the same inherent risks as SSRIs and other serotonergic drugs? Amphetamines only minimally affect serotonin, but methylphenidate has even less of an action w.r.t. serotonin, so it's a good option to try...

On 9/18/2016 at 0:11 PM, nmk1226 said:

I have been given Vyvanse for BED.  I know that sounds crazy because it is typically an ADD med, but the FDA has done studies and has expanded its uses to BED. 

To be specific, the drug manufacturer conducted the studies, not the FDA. The way the drug indication approval process works in the US requires the drug manufacturer to fund and conduct studies, the FDA only reviews them and makes decisions based on the evidence (with some rare exceptions). Accuracy is important.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bi polar with ADHD and PTSD. I've been on a mad cocktail since I was 15!

heres the breakdown:

litium 1050mg bedtime  mood stabilizer/ antidepressant augmentation/anti manic

nortriptyline 150mg bedtime  tricyclic antidepressant (SNRI)

bupropion 300mg mornings stimulant antidepressant (NDRI)

Abilify 5mg mornings antidepressant   augmentation and antimanic 

Methylphenidate SR 40mg (2x 20mg) morning   ADHD and antidepressant (DNRI)

thyroxine 100mcg morning replacement therapy and antidepressant augmentation 

HydroMorph Contin (12hour Hydromorphone CR) 30mg/day for pain

Gabapentin 1200mg/ day in 3 doses for neurological pain

nabilone 1mg twice a day or neurological pain and anxiety

diazepam 5-10mg twice a day as needed anxiety

hydromorphone 2-4mg three times a day as needed breakthrough pain

i included all my meds as some cross over  

everything seems to be working okay

im a depressed bipolar and only go manic very seldomly 

My ADHD is under control

my depression required a tricyclic cause nothing else seemed to work at all  lithium and nortriptyline is a very powerful combo according to psychiatrist and in the books/Internet 

the nortriptaline/bupropion/methylphenidate acts as a "triple reuptake inhibitor" and lithium Abilify thyroxine augments the cocktail . everything works synergistically but I find I get some anxiety as it's a powerful combo that I'm on diazepam short term till I get used to the combo. one benefit is bupropion and nortriptyline also helps the ADHD too . I'm usually very depressed as I'm paraplegic I broke my back during a suicide attempt (I jumped off a 5 floor building) this cocktail makes my face ache cause I'm smiling all the time. It's a bit euphoric at times from the stimulation which also counteracts the hydromorphone drowsiness and the methylphenidate also augments pain relief too.

I used to take a cocktail emphasizing serotonin reuptake (citalopram bupropion and Dexedrine with lithium) and was really messed up and it left me exhausted by the end of the day and felt really weird in the head. My current cocktail emphasizes norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake and a little direct serotonin involvement and I feel very clear energetic and focused. once the nortriptyline Kicked in I became very energetic and happy with some euphoria but not the speedy type of euphoria associated with Dexedrine that impairs judgement from overconfidence. I've never been happier and so focussed at the same time!

i hope this helps you. 

Edited by Freddy
Not finished post

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Freddy - that is a lot of meds to be on at one time!!  I'm Bipolar2 (predominantly depressed, previous diagnosis of major depression) Back on Lamictal which works well in mood stabilization, but I want to get back on a stimulant (was on Ritalin) to help with ADD symptoms and apathetic depression that will not go away. I've been on the gamut of SSRI's and SNRI's, even high-dose Wellbutrin.. They made me exhausted/numb yet sort of wired/restless at the same time. None of which really helped by depression/apathy and lack of focus.

***For those of you here that have both Bipolar and ADD - did you have a difficult time finding a pdoc that would prescribe you a Stimulant? Or is it just that you've been ADD for life and always on Stimulants since childhood? Ritalin really helped me but since I've run out (and moved far away, with a different doctor), no one will describe it. I've never had Mania, just some mood -cycling that happens from time to time which seems to be  corrected by the Lamictal.

Edited by cloudmonger
addition

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I have ADHD primarily inattentive, and until recently it was pretty much decently controlled. However, in the last 4-6 months, I have been suffering greatly from the inattentive symptoms so much so that they are practically debilitating. Also, my motivation to do anything, recreational or not, has just gone completely out the window. My room has been an absolute mess—an embarrassingly barely traversable sea of clothes and trash that I just cannot bring myself to pick one single thing up. I'm sure depression is a factor, but just... FUCK! I ran off the road the other day because I was flapping my gums talking to my friend and not paying attention to the road. I got a flat tire on my brand new set of 4 tires and bent the fucking rim of the wheel! That's going to cost a lot to fix... Going to have to probably leave my car at the dealership while they order the part to replace it with...
      My pdoc just simply doesn't prescribe me stims anymore. Won't get into that. We got into an argument and now she's all vindictive about it. She barely prescribed 10 mg Adderall before that anyway as the death of her husband left her very conservative with prescribing, especially stims.
      So my gdoc does my stims. He didn't know what to do. I asked about adding a little oral selegiline (Eldepryl) for the levoamphetamine metabolites (more noradrenergic = better for inattention) + MAO-B inhibition for more dopamine (better for motivation symptoms), but he said "that sent shivers down [his] spine just thinking about prescribing that" and preferred to stay away from it. So I asked about protriptyline (Vivactil), which I've taken before with some success, and he agreed. Problem is, it's so uncommon and hard to find that I'm going to have to use a mail-order pharmacy to get it, very likely.
      Any self-proclaimed ADHD experts out there? Should I be searching for a second pdoc to see specifically for my ADHD? Someone who will go above the 60 mg max of Dexedrine for my ADHD? A second amphetamine stimulant? (Adding methylphenidate to amphetamine will cancel each others' mechanisms of action out...) I have tried all the amphetamine stimulants and so far Dexedrine is the most potent, even more potent than Desoxyn (methamphetamine), which I hated... I don't want to go back to Adderall because of the shortage... Evekeo my insurance doesn't pay for, but would actually probably be best for me because of my inattentive symptoms. (shrugs)
      Anyone have any ideas on other augmenting options? Add something like phentermine? I don't think protriptyline (an NRI) is going to cut it. Atomoxetine 80 mg hasn't, desipramine 200 mg hasn't, and nortriptyline 150 mg hasn't either. I've tried amoxapine up to 150 mg I think, but it doesn't feel too potent, and has dopamine blocking, and maprotiline I'm afraid of the seizures and the sedation/weight gain...
      Kinda thinking about giving an MAOI another try, but my pdoc is so so so stingy with those...
    • By Skeletor
      I welcome you to rate all the psychotropic drugs which you took in the past or are taking in the present. A short explanation of your experience with the drug(s) would be helpful, so that we better understand your rating.
      Oh, and please tell us which conditions you treat(ed). Thanks.
      Rating Scale is from 0 to 5... "zero" being the worst, "five" being the best.
      _______________________________________________________________________________
      Sertraline 2 / 5 - subtle effects. Did help with psychosomatic ailments, derealization and cognition, but caused SSRI-typical apathy & indifference. Not sure if it did anything for my social anxiety and psychomotor agitation. At most minor effects. I did take it for two years.
      Mirtazapine 2 / 5 - elephant tranquilizer. Didn't like the severe sedation. Didn't sleep well on it, bad dreams. Caused RLS. Was good for appetite, weight gain and IBS. I was on it for two weeks.
      Promethazine Syrup / Drops 20mg / ml | 3 / 5 - I rather liked that one. At a lowish dose (15 drops or so) it has a nice calming effect on me, without sedating me too much. Lowers anxiety and agitated states. Brings order into chaos. Good for appetite and stomach. I take it occasionally.
      N-acetylcysteine (NAC) 2.5 / 5 - Is a good supplement. Heightened focus, less derealization, world seems more colorful. Interesting stuff. Definitely worth a try.
      Conditions treated: Anxiety, depressive states, psychomotor agitation, somatization disorder.
    • By Skeletor
      As far as I am informed you need stimulants for treatment of ADHD. Most commonly used are Methylphenidate and Atomoxetine. Sometimes stuff like Bupropion is applied. But what about classic antidepressants with stimulant (NRI) properties? Let's say Desipramine or Nortriptyline, Reboxetine!? Can they help to some degree?
    • By candi71
      I am so very lost, angry, hurt, depressed, explosive, and drowning.  I was put on latuda or my bipolar and depression acting up...  I hate new meds for this reason.  I started having my ptsd dreams again, ate everything in site and craved sugar omg terribly,  have been depressed, cant color which i love to do, just wanna sleep, explosive anger, crying jags, hate life, nothing makes me happy, everything just sucks.  Im so angry cause i feel like i did before i went on any meds, 20yr ago.  
      Im so confused i just feel like im grasping at air.. I was in the er the other night and they basically sent me home after giving my dose of larzapam i didn't take in the afternoon cause i doesn't help.  My theory of   it is it didn't help before the latuda what is gonna make it work coming off latuda or after off.. I remember why i drank now.. I didn't need to feel this then.. I want to drink so bad and wont cause I've been clean 6 yrs April will  be 7 and i worked to hard to get here and refuse to prove others right.  Im so so messed up i cant sleep cant watch TV cant color yet dont want to do any of the above either but if i dont sleep i hurt... has anyone felt this way..  It sux cause the battle to find meds to work will start tomorrow cause my liver doesn't process meds it flushes them out.. oh well sorry just needed to vent and hope someone can help
    • By lunafox
      Hello all, I'm looking for some med experience/anecdotes!
      I am bipolar and also have anxiety, ADHD, and PTSD. Currently I'm taking Lamictal (400mg/day), Geodon (80mg/day), and Adderall (25mg/day). I'm looking to change it up because I am seriously struggling with the side effects. Since starting Geodon I am tired all the time (it doesn't help that I'm in the midst of a depressive episode) and I've gained 20+ pounds in two months. I think it's helping with the manic side (or maybe that's just because of the depressive episode I'm in?) but I can't deal with these side effects. The Adderall works great for my ADHD but I think it's making me too edgy/irritable for my liking. On top of it I have been having terrible anxiety lately.
      I'm meeting with a new PMHNP next week and I like to research my med options ahead of time so that I feel more informed and can advocate for myself. I'm interested in Wellbutrin because it doesn't have weight gain associated with it, it helps with binge eating and supposedly helps you quit smoking (both current concerns of mine), and can work for both depression and ADHD. I'm also interested in Buspar as a possible anxiety med? I like that it also isn't associated with weight gain and that it isn't supposed to be sedating.

I've also taken Abilify in the past (before I took Geodon) and didn't experience any terrible side effects other than it making me sleepy but maybe combined with the right thing that wouldn't be as much of an issue?
      Anyone have experience with this combo or a similar one? Any and all feedback appreciated! The med game is so overwhelming.