CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
rish

Does paranoia manifest in bipolar?

I have read that paranoia can manifest in psychosis when the mania or depression is extreme? What if its not extreme?

I know I had persecutory delusions along side grandiose ones when I had a mixed episode before I got diagnosed at 15. I'm not exactly sure but I know that some depressed people sometimes think they are are physically sick, think they're dying and/or are in physical pain when sometimes they are not. Would that be classed as paranoia, I don't know. 

It could be anxiety on the side you know. I'm not a doctor though

Also not a doctor, but I've read the same thing. My paranoia came out when I was fairly manic, although not the most euphoric I've ever been, but it was the paranoia/psychosis that made the episode classify as severe. To me I'm not sure whether one causes the other (like paranoia/psychosis follows extreme mood) or whether they kinda coexist (like they come on together with an episode)... my experience seems more like it coexists for me at least, but again, not an expert. 

I experience paranoia only in extremes of mania or depression, but I do experience psychosis when only mildly depressed. So it's possible to have psychosis without an extreme mood episode.

The way I usually experience paranoia when either manic or depressed is like a form of extreme anxiety. I feel afraid of things that usually are more of a low-grade irritation or concern to me, such as the permanent sense that I don't fit in (thank you, Autism); when I have an episode, it escalates to a fear that people will hurt me for being obviously a freak of nature. I also feel really conspicuous when I'm in an episode and like I can't "pass" as well for normal (nothing to see here, folks!) and I think that that might be putting me in danger too.

On 9/17/2016 at 6:29 PM, Gearhead said:

The way I usually experience paranoia when either manic or depressed is like a form of extreme anxiety. I feel afraid of things that usually are more of a low-grade irritation or concern to me, such as the permanent sense that I don't fit in (thank you, Autism); when I have an episode, it escalates to a fear that people will hurt me for being obviously a freak of nature. I also feel really conspicuous when I'm in an episode and like I can't "pass" as well for normal (nothing to see here, folks!) and I think that that might be putting me in danger too.

This is pretty much my experience too.

There are the occasional times I get a bit... weird with my fears.  Mostly when I was younger, like obsessing over the possibility of thought broadcasting even though I knew it was impossible and basically compulsively "playing music" in my head when out in public all the time.  Very exhausting.  And very OCD.

But largely, and especially as an adult with all these years of therapy and treatment behind me, it's exaggeration of things that are normal concerns or irritations in my life already.

Yep. Only and often when particularly under stress. I hear music (accordion) my late mother played, and these sends shivers up my spine, I also see shadows out of the corners of my eyes. 

I experience extreme paranoia when majorly depressed and delusions when manic.   They both have themes around them.  When depressed I am sure i am being poisoned by the food supply and my Pdoc.  I end up not eating and going off my meds (slowly).  Its takes a while to let it go even when I know I may be paranoid.  It also messes with my stability cus I am messing with me meds. I have also experienced olfactory issues.  I smell everything and I smell horrid rotting smells (neuro says its BP and not anything else).  

On the other end I assume since I want to have sex with everyone that they feel the same.  I think the sky and trees are seeing me.  They seem very alive and animated.  Only draw back to that one is when I am driving.  I tend to be looking at trees waiving at me and not the road.

Oh yes definitely. I'm paranoid right now. I don't know what is wrong with me. Recently someone tried to break in to my bedroom. Twice. I sleep next to the baseball bat. Keep pepper spray in my pajama pants. 

Sometimes I think it's the bipolar. Other times my gad. 

Edited by 2Spirals
More stuff

During my mania I thought I was destined for greatness and that my friend was manipulating me and was turning people against me when she really wasn't, so I think so, and I have a bipolar II friend who was taking seroquel because he always thinks people are talking about him.

I'm pretty much paranoid all the time, though it does get worse when I am in an episode. I'm always paranoid and terrified that there are monsters everywhere and that people are going to follow me home etc. terrified of mirrors. 

It gets more specific when I have specific delusions and such

Edited by ohjustchillin

On 9/17/2016 at 11:31 AM, rish said:

I have read that paranoia can manifest in psychosis when the mania or depression is extreme? What if its not extreme?

Mine first manifested when I was neither manic nor depressed.   But I do become paranoid whether manic, depressed, or neither.  Stress and lack of sleep definitely makes everything 1000 X worse.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:58 PM, aura said:

So it's possible to have psychosis without an extreme mood episode.

^^I agree.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:12 AM, 2Spirals said:

Oh yes definitely. I'm paranoid right now. I don't know what is wrong with me. Recently someone tried to break in to my bedroom. Twice. I sleep next to the baseball bat. Keep pepper spray in my pajama pants. 

Sometimes I think it's the bipolar. Other times my gad. 

I would be paranoid whether I had MI or not if this happened to me.

Before I went on risperidone, I would have (frequently intense) paranoia and delusions in just about any mood state, but it was most intense when manic. I would think unmarked police cars were following and watching me and that (I worked at a gov't site that was crawling with police) police were coming to arrest me for crimes I was not aware of. I would also think people I could not hear were talking about me, that people were getting into my computer (at work, or more recently, at home) and watching what I was doing. Lately, it has been coming back some, e.g. when hypomanic, and more recently when depressed, but hopefully the quetiapine will suppress that.

On 10/31/2016 at 4:15 AM, melissaw72 said:

I would be paranoid whether I had MI or not if this happened to me.

Maybe for a shorter time though? My GF is not MI, and her paranoisa subsided after about a week. I still have slight paranoia, and I'm not manic anymore. So I'm not sure, it seems like a grey area to me...

17 hours ago, 2Spirals said:

Maybe for a shorter time though? My GF is not MI, and her paranoisa subsided after about a week. I still have slight paranoia, and I'm not manic anymore. So I'm not sure, it seems like a grey area to me...

It could be a gray area, Idk.  I'm the type of person where I will get paranoid about something and stay that way about that situation for a long time ... it doesn't go away for me after a week or 2.  For me it is months.

8 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

It could be a gray area, Idk.  I'm the type of person where I will get paranoid about something and stay that way about that situation for a long time ... it doesn't go away for me after a week or 2.  For me it is months.

She's ok with it now, but me... I still am a slight bit jumpy, and dread going to bed, because the break-ins were attempted through the bedroom window. I have a white noise machine to drown out noise - otherwise every noise I heard I'd be surging with adrenaline and fear. Ugh