CrazyBoards.org

Here's a new twist--and I gotta know if

I have a new little "twist" which I do believe is related to all this "up and down", being a human "5-ticket ride" (for those of you who remember the old days of Disney-type parks---the more exciting rides took more tickets)

I have developed an excruitiating, horrible, screaming, want-to-shoot-myself, cut- off- my- leg- pain ,which is in my left hip and goes down my left ass/hip and into the back of my left thigh--but only when I am really ready to hit bottom, or top, or making that wild swing in between.  For a while, I thought I just had  pinched nerve, or sat funny or did something physcial that caused it, but no more--its definately related to the cycles--its like an early warning device, or a late warning device or something.  But it is part of the cycling, and NOT just a funky pinched nerve or something.

How do I know this?  Cause the days--and there are some--when I am stable, and not cyclling and feel pretty good and life is OK--on those days--there IS NO PAIN AT ALL, NONE.

Anyone else have a real, physical horrible pain as part of the cycling, or as a sort of warning device?

I can remember, years ago, the very first serious depressive episode I had--spent 2 weeks hospitalized--I had a "crick" in my neck which actually kept me from turning my head to the right at all ("Crick" being an old-fashioned southern word--) I finally figured out it might be related to the depression, but no one-none of the docs--ever addressed it, or ever thought it significant, so neither did I.

But this is gonna kill me--and I look like an idiot, walking around with the heating pad hanging out my shorts.

Coincincidence?  Is it a sort of bodily early warning symptom?  Anyone else have anything similar?  Or --once again--is the cat having totally random and totally crazy "crazy symptoms"????

china, she of the electric butt----

Heya China,

Well, I won't lecture *you* on the things to get checked out for.

Where I grew up, we called it a "hitch in your getalong."

;)

At any rate.

I get belly pain.  The real, gall-bladder-type, pain.

Right-sided pain that hurts my shoulder more than my belly even.

I've had several ultrasounds, plus an upper GI (all really due to family history) that were clear.

So, I put it down to tension/stress/anxiety/blabla.

Which ***sucks,*** b/c if it *was* my gallbladder, surgery would make it go away.

Even before those US's, DH said it was because of my family.

He was closer to the truth than any of us MDs, really.

Of course, I *have* to (ethically) tell you to get checked for other sources of leg pain; maybe not a clot like on House :) .  But, you never know.

And if I was your FP it would be *wrong* to not check you out for such.

And as an FP I would warn you that it might be that you put your "feelings and stress" in your leg, like other people put their stress in their tummy or their neck or their jaw, so that a negative diagnostic test doesn't mean it's "nothing."

--ncc--

I can remember, years ago, the very first serious depressive episode I had--spent 2 weeks hospitalized--I had a "crick" in my neck which actually kept me from turning my head to the right at all ("Crick" being an old-fashioned southern word--) I finally figured out it might be related to the depression, but no one-none of the docs--ever addressed it, or ever thought it significant, so neither did I.

I often get cricks in my neck (yes, I still say that and I'm in NY) when I'm feeling worse.  It usually takes days for it to get the least bit better.  Lots of advil and heating pads.

But this is gonna kill me--and I look like an idiot, walking around with the heating pad hanging out my shorts.

I'd kind of like to see this....

Coincincidence?

I don't think this relates to what you're describing, China...sounds like it's just the opposite, since you say it happens when you're cycling. I've noticed that once I got to a therapeutic level of Lamictal, I'll often wake up with that sort of sciatic pain you describe, or a terrible crick in my neck. I realized I was sleeping so soundly that I didn't even roll over in the middle of the night, I'd wake up in the exact position as when I fell asleep. No toss, no turn. So I think I'm getting these pains from being in the same position for too long.

I've been tracking it for the last 4 or 5 days now, its definately sciatic pain, thats for sure, but it is ALSO definately related to cycling.  When I am stable, and doing OK, its minor, if at all, easily controlled with a cou0le of Advil.

But if things are beginning to get out of hand, the pain starts--like a sort of ass-related Early Warning System.  I have heard of tensing up your shoulders, etc--but your ass???

Leave it to me--but that is for sure what is happening--

china, who at present, is unplugged

I'm a tightass.  Really.  When I'm getting tense or starting my skidding-out routine I find myself with my ass and thighs clenched tight; I notice it because my sacroiliac, knees and hips hurt from the tension.  I also get dizzy from unconsciously holding my breath.  Sometimes I'll sit with my toes pointed.

Anyhow.  Maybe it's muscle tension.  Maybe a little bit of stretching would help?  I find stretching and yoga make me more more body-conscious so I notice and deliberately make my body relax as much as possible.

Hi China,

I've got a herniated L5/S1 so I can relate to the leg pain problems.

My back had nagged at me a bit for years but I threw it out sweeping a little light snow off my car. This was about a year before my MI symptoms got severe enough to be dx. I know that our MI affects the tension in the body because my golf game deteriorated immensely prior to being treated.  I noted that I was always stiff and couldn't relax my muscles.

Why do I mention this?  During my researching back problems I recall finding a number of references and comments by docs that a fair number of back injuries were related to or exacerbated by mental illness.

So yes, I am convinced that the current state of illness can make your back/ sciatica worsen.

I could also wonder if pain tolerance might be affected by illness state as well, but I haven't seen anything mentioning that.

A.M.

Yeah, irts weird cause I definately have a fucked up L4/L5 on the RIGHT, thanks to the AIR BAG in a 1991 Miata--I will never drive a car with an air bag again, but thats another story.  I have had major damage there, several epidurals, and I know to be very careful, cause I have a very "fragile" back.

But this is a different side, and differnt pain--obviosuly sciatic pain, and while I will not let a chiopractor touch me due to the instability of my L4/L5, I don't know what to do about this , cause I know that chiropractors are noted to be great with this kind of pain/injury.  But its so close to that other injury--

Time for the Yoga tape--off the heating pad, onto the yoga mat.  And probably, off to the orthoped for possibly another epidural--sigh--

china of the wracking pain---

Heya China,

Most sciatic pain, as you know, is muscular in origin (likely piriformis -- some physios think it's *all* piriformis*).

-- and it's no more/less likely that your sciatica is due to *muscle tension from psych stress* in an area where you've previously been injured --

-- than it is for mine to show up as excruciating right-sided jaw pain complete with muscle spasm.

(Last couple of weeks, despite Lamictal and book-therapy.  Went to a dentist in a panic, XR and exam were clear; figured it out.  Feel silly, hope I have the humility to tell psych tomorrow.)

(I had a ridiculous (by today's standards) amount of dental surgery as a kid.)

If an epidural helps the pain, great.

But this sounds more like the yoga tape, to me.

And have you tried active physio?  (Unproven, but so is everything in sciatica, including surgery.)

--ncc--

This might be overkill, but do you know a really good physical therapist?  They can do moist heat and electrostim to loosen up the muscles without doing manipulation.  They can also teach you how to stretch & strengthen that part of your hip & butt muscles without aggravating your L4-L5 injury (you'd be amazed at how many ways there are to stretch a single muscle).  A little stretching and mild strengthening (I'm not talking weight lifting here) will help a lot.

I had a cartilage tear in both shoulders.  When the bicep tendon slipped laterally over it--like anytime I reached up for anything--it'd catch on the tear and I'd get a searing pain and whichever shoulder it was would throb for days.  After my orthopedist diagnosed the problem he sent me to the best PT I've ever met, who rehabed the left one completely without using the motion that triggered the tear.  The right one was worse and I needed surgery, but his work made me get function back almost immediately, even before the surgical pain went away (they had to shave off some bone, which took a few months to stop hurting).

Might be worth a try.  You have to find someone with lots of certification and experience specifically with the back who deals with existing injuries.

Archived