CrazyBoards.org

Heyyy... I was diagnosed with schizo-affective disorder. I hear voices, have obsessive/negative thoughts (possibly intrusive), have thought broadcasting, and mood swings. As of now I am on abilify-15mg, rexulti-4mg, and lexapro-20mg. I'm seeing a pdoc as well as a therapist. Though, it's really hard to keep my appointments with my therapist due to my social phobia. I keep thinking people can hear my thoughts and think of me as 'disgusting.' I even sometimes think my family & friends hear me. It's getting so hard to deal with... I think about suicide a lot... but I know deep down that it's not the only option and it is very final. There is help for me!!! 

Anyone else going through this crappy stuff??? What medications are you on? How do you deal? What has helped you - past and present? How long have you dealt with this? 

Feel free to add any additional information about what you are going through... I am also here to help anyone going through this because I know how hard it can get... believe me. Sometimes I am better at offering advice rather than taking my own. However, please seek help from a professional if you feel you are at your wits end. :) 

5 hours ago, TigerEyes91 said:

Though, it's really hard to keep my appointments with my therapist due to my social phobia.

This would be a good thing to work on in therapy (the social phobia) and possibly work with your pdoc on a med to help the social anxiety until you can cope better with it.  The med could be temporary ... just taken until you learn some skills to help you through it.

I agree with CNO.  I think if you are having these thoughts and beliefs, (below quote), your meds might need a tweak or change:

5 hours ago, TigerEyes91 said:

I keep thinking people can hear my thoughts and think of me as 'disgusting.' I even sometimes think my family & friends hear me. It's getting so hard to deal with... I think about suicide a lot...

Meds should be helping to get these things under control and to either go away or be manageable.

28 minutes ago, TigerEyes91 said:

Thanks so much guys!!! I'm seeing my therapist tomorrow and I'm gonna force myself to go. :)  

Good work! I'm glad you are going to your tdoc tomorrow! That will help I think. 

I have SZA too. I take Abilify and Seroquel XR and Lamictal and klonopin (for the anxiety). I deal with lots of bad and negative thoughts and death messages and people monitoring/watching me...these haunt me daily. I try to be positive though. I am told I get delusional and paranoid and have hallucinations. I'm not sure I believe those words about me really. I honestly don't know what to think anymore. It all seems so real and scary.

I've had this disorder for a long time. Like it began in my teen years but I wasn't diagnosed until I was in my twenties. I mostly lay low and avoid stress and can't work or school or anything like that. I am on SSDI. 

What helps me is a positive outlook and distractions that take my mind off of the thoughts. It is hard to do but therapy has helped me cope better. I have been hospital free for a year now! So I know I'm making progress at least. 

Welcome to CB! Nice to meet you. 

I went through all of that when i had an episode lasting ten months. scary shit, funny shit, all kinds of shit. If your on meds and still having hallucinations you might need to up your meds or change them. I take 8 mg of trilafon(perphenzanine) and I have no psychosis. Unfortunately I am not having any luck with the mood disorder. cycling about a month on mania and weekly depression. It's getting old. Im tired of fucking shit up all the time and really have no reason why I do it. I can't explain myself for my actions. wierd

I do not get suicidal thoughts. I can now kind of see where the dark place can take you and have more understanding where your thoughts can take you. I am bipolar type so my depression is agitation and sleeping for days at a time. what a life!! 

Hi there, and welcome to crazyboards! Please stop by our introductions thread so we can get to know you: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php?/forum/61-introductions-who-the-hell-are-you/

Personally, I've been diagnosed as having major depression, generalized anxiety disorder, ADD, and "some form of psychosis" (aka auditory hallucinations). I'm on 20mg Abilify for the psychosis and to help boost the 375mg of Effexor. I also take 30mg of Adderall twice/day for ADD and 2mg of Klonopin thrice/day for the anxiety. 

I'm also seeing a psychologist for therapy every two weeks. 

Together, all these treatments help keep me sane. (ish)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey then, I have sza depressive form and anxiety after a slight switch in diagnosis. I take divalproex,wellbutrin,lorazepam for anxiety and invega injection form. I've been dealing with this stuff since I was 12, I'm 30 now. I'm not saying this is everyone but it took a long time before my treatment team got some meds that'd work, again YMMV. But once they work life just becomes bareable again I sometimes even have good days,rare but I honestly didn't think I'd ever have one again. What I'm saying is don't give up and be patient and honest with your team, they're there to help you.

And just from experience I know this sounds obvious but always try your hardest to be on time with taking meds do whatever you got to do to take them as prescribed and regularly, this was a hard one for me because I've always had trouble with motivation. Don't let it happen to you it's an extra slog sometimes through hell you don't have to go through. I don't know hope that helps.

9 hours ago, Grey Matter said:

Hey then, I have sza depressive form and anxiety after a slight switch in diagnosis. I take divalproex,wellbutrin,lorazepam for anxiety and invega injection form. I've been dealing with this stuff since I was 12, I'm 30 now. I'm not saying this is everyone but it took a long time before my treatment team got some meds that'd work, again YMMV. But once they work life just becomes bareable again I sometimes even have good days,rare but I honestly didn't think I'd ever have one again. What I'm saying is don't give up and be patient and honest with your team, they're there to help you.

It took a long time to finally find meds that worked for me too.  It sucks taking meds, but I agree that once the right meds are in place, life becomes bareable again (to a point ... not necessarily all bearable, but much better than it was before the right meds came along). (YMMV).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mikl_pls
      I've tried quite a few meds, including but not limited to many beta-blockers (atenolol, propranolol, metoprolol, acebutolol, nadolol, currently on pindolol), anticonvulsants (topiramate, levetiracetam, gabapentin, and primidone), and benzos (pretty much all of them!), and haven't had good results.
      Beta-blockers, even pindolol with its intrinsic sympathomimetic activity, causes bradycardia. Topiramate (Topamax) makes me STUPID AF. Levetiracetam (Keppra) makes me suicidal. Primidone (Mysoline), while it works really well, the cognitive issues are EONS worse than that of topiramate. Gabapentin (Neurontin) does nothing for me much except put weight on me, but then again, I didn't pay attention to my tremor at the time, so it could be worth another try. Benzos don't do anything, which I wasn't taking the benzo primarily for the tremor anyway... I've read up on other treatments of essential tremor, and I'm not too keen on using clozapine (Clozaril), mirtazapine (Remeron), or alcohol...
      Does anyone know of any other treatments that would work? Or if I should retry gabapentin? I literally spilled my drink all over myself tonight when I went out to eat with my boyfriend. I'm sick of dealing with this.
    • By Dewey
      I worked my way up to 5mg of Zyprexa last 10 days, but still very irritable.  I snap at everyone, so everyone is naturally leaving me alone.  I don't like living this way.  Left a message with my prescribing doctor about this irritability issue.  Update, prescribing doc called and suggested I go up 1/4 of a tablet and get the irritability and mood swings under control before I start the Lamictal.  So, took another 1/4 tablet which makes 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet I have taken so far this morning. 
      Seizure doc prescribed Lamictal, but holding off starting that until I feel more stable on Zyprexa. 
      Zyprexa used to calm my mind, not sure why it's not working so well this time around.  I have been on all the other anti-psychotics and Zyprexa is the only one I can tolerate.  Anti-depressants don't work for me, can't tolerate any of the SSRI's. 
      In the middle of a card game last Monday, I got mad at one of the players, threw my cards down on the table and left.  That is not like me, I never display anger towards anyone.  Very upset over all this irritability and moodiness and now what happened at the card game, very ashamed of my behavior.  I have since apologized to the person I offended, will attend the card game this evening and see how I do.  Gulp !!
    • By Dewey
      This is what I go thru every day from the moment I wake up: anxiety throughout the day, uncontrollable anxiety and panic only when I leave my home, dissociation in times of high stress and high anxiety and panic, insomnia every night, daily depression, scary cycling mood swings.
      My psych doc called me on a Saturday afternoon (now this doc is semi-retired and only works 3 days a week now). I was shocked when I saw his name come up on caller ID.  He was calling to suggest I go into the hospital until I become stabilized.  Stabilized in one week, no way I say.  It's gonna take time for that to happen.  He said with the dissociation and everything else I am going thru on a daily basis he is worried I might self harm.  I assured him I am not at that point and he knows that I call him when I need to go back in, plus I have a new kitten and don't want anyone in my home anyway. I think I can manage all this at home.  I will be seeing him on Tuesday.  That was soo out of character for him to call me like that, kinda got my attention and am I worse off then I realize.  I have known him for 30+ years and he knows me well, so I have to trust his direction. His concern is that I am in the middle of a perfect storm and anything can happen and he worries that if anything triggers me I might not be able to control what happens to me.
      Then several neighbors stopped by to see if I was okay as they have not seen me last week, curtains have remained closed, not answering phones nor texts.  I know I have been avoiding alot of neighbors now as I am selectively avoiding those that trigger me and those that knocked on my door I call them "the axis of terror" for what they have been known to do to other people here. So, I had their phones on block.  I have been protecting myself while I work on medication and mood and it's nobody's business. 
      Had a game of RummyKub set up for this evening and really looked forward to this all week, and everyone just canceled, really bummed about that.
      I have had no interest in bath, washing my hair, eating.  I can't focus on TV, can't read, nor listen to my book tapes. No interest in anything, I am soo flooded with anxiety/panic.
      My HMO has restricted how many benzos I take, I have been on Klonopin for 30 years and that takes the edge off, but have to stock pile them due to the restrictions and delays in getting the medication to me, so had to cut back and that makes my anxiety worse.
      So, back to my psych doc.  The plan is to keep me on Seroquel (1/2 of a 25 mg) at night for sleep and for mood control for now during the day until I see him next week.  It just sedates me too much if I take more than 1/2 of 25 mg in a 24 hour period.  But the Seroquel puts the breaks on mood cycling, I just can't tolerate the side effects, they never go away, just increase.
      So, I am going to suggest to him for sleep (I want to get off Seroquel due to over sedation and muscle rigidity), Ambien or Trazodone.  I read up that Trazodone helps with insomnia, panic, migraine.  Then I need a mood stabilizer/seizure medication so may go back on Depakote and Xanax for rescue from intense anxiety/panic.  I don't want to go back on Lithium. 
      Goal for the day, making my bed and taking a bath, maybe washing my hair.

• By Mistylumos
      First time poster here. I have bipolar 1, diagnosed last year after some horrible psychotic/manic episodes. I was put on lexapro which made me go insane and then put on zyprexa 10 mg which I abruptly stopped (I didnt get that you cant do that) which then again made me go crazy. Right now I am on Rexulti 1.5 mg and Seroquel 37.5 mg (I am tapering the Seroquel slowly to come off of it). I know these are low doses but I tend to be very sensitive to meds. The highest does of seroquel I was on was 300. I am not having any weird psychotic symptoms or manic feelings but am struggling with some depression. I am really unhappy with the weight gain from the antipsychotics. I have gained 10 lbs and from what I read all the APS will put weight on you. I also do not like how tired I feel. When I first started taking them I think the Rexulti was more activating, I actually felt jittery and seemed to be getting more stuff done, but now I just feel lazy and unmotivated. I was curious about trying Lamictal, and I was wondering if it would be possible to take that instead of the Rexulti. The only thing I worry about is I hear it impacts your cognition and I am starting school soon. Has anyone managed Bipolar 1 without a AP? Is it possible to just be on lamictal? I won't try antidepressents again after what happend with the lexapro. 
    • By Blahblah
      Maybe a random place to post, but I'm wondering if anyone here has had kidney disease/failure or other kidney problems suddenly arise, due to taking a lot of psych meds? I hear of ppl having liver problems, but not often kidney...
      My GP is concerned about my elevated creatine levels (and other related symptoms) and says she sees this frequently when people take psych meds for many years... She is ruling out other causes, as this doesn't run in my family at all.