CrazyBoards.org

How is your memory?

I realize meds can make a difference in memory, but I'm only on Zoloft right now.  My memory hasn't come back since I stopped the other meds.  I used to be pretty sharp and now I can't remember a damn thing.  Is the bad memory a bipolar thing or did the meds mess up my brain permanently?

I don't know Invictus, but I have the same problem. I've been on alot of meds..trying them out, mostly. Now I am on Lithium and Xanax and I feel that between the both of them, my memory is just shot. Freaks me out.

I notice also that I will be trying to talk and I can't find a word..sometimes I have to describe what it is I am thinking of.  LIke.."What is the word that means.."?

Mime is gone as well.  It was really bad when I took Topamax.  During that time I couldn't come up with the word for, say, table.

I find it very disheartening to be in this situation, but I'm trying hard now just to compensate for it.  I write down everything, keep a detailed calendar, make lengthy to do lists, make notes about calls I need to make, things I need to follow up on.  I can't count on myself to remember anything, but I'm fighting hard to find some crutches.

I'm not sure if it is the disorder or the meds.  I've been taking meds for decades, so how would I know??  I took Xanax for at least 20 years and now take Klonopin as well as sleeping pills.  I'm sure all of that is working against me, but what can you do?

My memory's always been crap as far as my life's concerned.  I think it goes with not having a frigging clue who I am.  I don't know.  I've had some problems with acquiring and retaining academic information on lithium, and a wee little bit of aphasia, but nothing major. 

I have the memory of a goldfish. 

I have the memory of a gnat. 

I have the memory of a gnu. 

I have the memory of a squirrel on acid. 

I have the memory of a lobotomized elephant.

I have the memory of a bewildered octogenarian.

I have the memory of an elected politician.

I have the memory of a bullet-riddled sieve made of Swiss cheese. 

I have the memory of a Drosophila fruit fly.

I have the memory of the lead witness in a Mafia court case. 

I have the memory of a three-year-old on a steady diet of lead-based paint chips. 

I have the memory of a brick wall.

I have the memory of a post-concussive hamster.

I have the memory of an etherized hen.

I have the memory of a flea. 

I have the memory of a mayfly. 

I have the memory of a butterfly. 

I have the memory of a thinking thing that isn't thinking right.

I have the memory of a sack of blind hedgehogs. 

I have the memory of a talk show host without a teleprompter. 

Uh.... what were we doing again?

I have the memory of a goldfish. 

I have the memory of a gnat. 

I have the memory of a gnu. 

I have the memory of a squirrel on acid. 

I have the memory of a lobotomized elephant.

I have the memory of a bewildered octogenarian.

I have the memory of an elected politician.

I have the memory of a bullet-riddled sieve made of Swiss cheese. 

I have the memory of a Drosophila fruit fly.

I have the memory of the lead witness in a Mafia court case. 

I have the memory of a three-year-old on a steady diet of lead-based paint chips. 

I have the memory of a brick wall.

I have the memory of a post-concussive hamster.

I have the memory of an etherized hen.

I have the memory of a flea. 

I have the memory of a mayfly. 

I have the memory of a butterfly. 

I have the memory of a thinking thing that isn't thinking right.

I have the memory of a sack of blind hedgehogs. 

I have the memory of a talk show host without a teleprompter. 

Uh.... what were we doing again?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha, you are awesome

Guest Llamanator

I used to be a "human PDA." Now I can't remember when I last ate, showered, or if I brushed my teeth or not. Or much of anything else, for that matter. The entire way I think and store information has changed. A lot of it's meds, some of it happened naturally when my brain ate itself my senior year in high school.

I thought memory was a pre-school game.

kinda cool too.

oh what? huh..YEAH.

oh wait, we weren't talking about crunk?

yeah...my memory is shit most days.  Especially when it comes to IMPORTANT stuff.

but if it's trivia or useless shit, I'll remember it FOREVER!

maddy the keeper of trivia and miscellania.

and the bad speeler.

I started to reply to this earlier, but forgot.

Memory? What memory? It's getting embarrassing. A gallery owner called me Friday (I think?), asked "do you think the commission piece that my client requested in December will be ready soon?". Ummmm, huh? Did...did... did I talk to you in December? Was I even conscious in December? I feel like an idiot.

Watching the ice skating Nationals last night. Couldn't routine from one routine to the other what their names were.

I thought the Xanax was to blame, but I'm on zoloft too. Maybe they're all to blame. I'd like to blame *something*!

My memory could be better.  I'm pretty sure it would be better if I weren't on Topamax.  It's a trade off.  It was a lot worse when my Topamax dose was higher.  Then, my short term memory was severely effected, as in, I couldn't even work effected.  Now, I'm able to make allowances.

I have a long period of time where that I call the "lost years".  I can barely reconstruct that time period.  It was my realllly sick time, when I was cycling really severely and was unmedicated.  A period of about 2 years or so.  I don't remember shite from that time period.

I also don't remember big chunks of my teen years, my twenties, and early childhood.  I'm assuming they were times when I was cycling pretty bad.

I didn't get on meds until my late 30s.

I'm pretty damn sure my memory has everything to do with my BP.

I had been on Prozac, then Zoloft and my memory wasn't affected. I was working full time and finishing up my degree. Probably some hypomania caused by antidepressants. When I started on the long journey though mood stabilizer land was about when my memory began the downward spiral. Depakote, Tegretol, Trileptal, Abilify, and Topamax. I can't remember if there were others. For me it was the Topamax that really affected my memory the most. I'm currently on 200mg of, uh, what is it, oh yeah, Lamictal. My memory is slightly better than when I was taking Topamax.

I used to be an excellent speller. Now I hesitate and even when I remember the spelling of a word, I'm not 100% sure if it's right.

The forgetting a simple word thing, oh Jesus, that's the worst. I used to stand up in front of a college class and give Powerpoint presentations and the words flowed from me with no trouble. I still have the vocabulary, but I can seem to present it well in writing only, and I still have to struggle to come up with a word I used frequently before mood stabilizers.

I believe the MS's cause permanent memory loss.

It is somewhat comforting to see I'm not alone.

Archived