CrazyBoards.org

aw, that sucks.  i used to be on tegretol when i was a kid and had seizures, but refuse to take it again because of the side effects.  apparently trileptal is the same thing except one molecule is changed or something, i forget what my pdoc told me.

i hope it's ok on my liver...so far i like it.

hope you're doing ok on the tegretol!  it was a good med to me when i was a kid.

• 1 month later...

Not to be a month late to the party or anything, but here I am.  Trileptal and Tegretol are chemically very similar.  They can act very similarly for a lot of people, but not necessarily always.  They tend to be close enough that you can generally switch from one to the other (200mg of Tegretol for 300mg of Trileptal), and Trileptal usually has fewer/milder side effects than Tegretol.  One may not always work as well as the other for the same person, though.

Anyway, I was on Trileptal at a couple different times before I knew what I was having were seizures.  It was helping, though, even if I didn't know what to call what it was helping.  Once I got up to 1200mg/day, I turned into a Trileptal Retard myself, though.  My memory was pretty bad, and I forgot how to use prepositions.  Literally.  I would have to guess which one to use in a sentence and hope it worked.  And I would randomly leave words out of sentences, too.

It didn't really have any side effects for me at 600mg/day, but it wasn't helping very much.  At 900mg/day, it started screwing with my memory.  It still wasn't even helping nearly enough at 1200mg/day, so I had to give up on it, but up until that point, it was the only thing that had helped me at all.

Trileptal was awesome for my bipolar.  I actually felt NORMAL for once in my life and I was happy.  But, it gave me a rash so I had to discontinue it.  Too bad because I loved it.

Oh, and my memory has never recovered but boy was it worth it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so far it's kept my bipolar mood swings in check, but i still have 'em sometimes but i do like the med ^^

*wonders why this is in seizures section, too lazy to pm anyone*

i was recently put on this med and so far i like it.  but i am concerned about the memory side effects as my memory is already shit.

but anyways, anyone had success or failure on this med?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi!

I was put on Trileptal Retard (the European extended release version) in April 2004 after 9 years on Tegretol Retard for epilepsy. In just a few weeks I felt so much better. The brain-fog that Tegretol caused in me was almost completely gone, I actually felt mood swings, and started planning a 6 week hike in the mountains. And as far as memory problems were concerned, it was better than Tegretol as well. Everything was great!

The hike was wonderful, it even burned away all the excess fat that I had accumulated in the 9 years on Tegretol (about 50 pounds!). But four months later I had three seizures (full-on head-banging GTK's) in one night, and the nice ride was over. I called my neurologist, or at least his secretary, and was told that since I was scheduled for an appointment in April I couldn't see him before that. In a month I had upped my dosage all by myself after reading a bit about the drug on CrazyMeds, from 900mg/d to 1200mg/d. In march I had another seizure, and went to my regular doc to have some blood-work done. My serum levels were WAY below any therapeutic level, so I upped it again to 1500mg/d. Still felt that something was wrong and in the next 6 weeks I increased my dosage to 2100mg/d.

When I finally got to se the pdoc he told me that what I was experiencing was most likely panic attacks, but agreed to put me back on Tegretol Retard. It had something to do with the fact that as long as I had been on Tegretol I had not had a single seizure, and that I trusted the meds. I was hoping this would kill my anxiety and panic attacks, but I'm still seeing a psychiatrist twice a week and taking Valium to get through the day...

Most likely my liver didn't like Trileptal too much, so my serum levels got way too low. Maybe all of this could have been avoided if I'd only had some blood-work done more frequently. Who knows? I'm now on twice the amount of Tegretol as I was before my year on Trileptal. If it is related to Trileptal, or if it was time for me to up the dosage anyway I don't know.

SO to sum it up! I liked the way Trileptal worked while it worked, but I can't say I'm a huge fan due to all the other crap i caused for me!

H.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thats very odd.  i was taking 600mg/day and my blood level was just below the therapeutic range.  i wonder what makes u metabolize it so poorly.  anyways, have u had liver function tests with that blood work?

im currently taking trileptal, i wouldnt say i like it but i dont dislike it either.  i dont feel seizureriffic anymore and have been 6 months seizure-free!  so it works.  i think it has some mood stabilizing properties for me but its probably not a good first choice for a mood stabilizer.

if anyone is starting it the best recommendation from my experience is to start low like 150mg twice a day.  thats for the american version (non-extended release)

Archived