CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Rabidtears

Relapse after finding working meds?

I went inpatient back in June and the doctor there added depakote er 1000mg to my regimen along with rexulti 2mg to go with the zoloft 100mg, and topamax 100mg twice a day that I was taking. It was working wonders. I was finally stable. I was also very sleepy. My original pdoc said if depakote er at 1000mg made me too sleepy then to try it at 500mg or one tablet at bedtime. I have been scared to do that because it was working so well! But, I was sleeping all day and all night also.

This week, i decided to take my pdoc suggestion and try it at 500mg at bedtime. I am a little  more awake but I still need a caffeine jolt in the mornings or I am down. What I have noticed is that I am quickly pushed into mania (I get so much housework done!!!!) And I stay wired until I take my ambien at night to go to sleep. I have done this since probably Tuesday or Wednesday when I started. 

Now today was different. Today, was more complicated as it was .... more on the depressed side. My husband asked me what was wrong and I said nothing and everything! The slightest thing could go wrong and wreck my entire world and I started bawling. I haven't felt like that since I started taking my new regimen. 

I am fixing to go back to the way I was taking it before, it's just overwhelming thait feels like I have to choose between stability and the ability to function!

On top of the sleepiness, I'm more or less apathetic. My husband accused me of having an "I don't give a shit attitude" here a while back. And I honestly didn't. He said that, and I just laid back down and went back to sleep. I couldn't have cared less. About anything. Cooking for our kids, for him, cleaning house. I have been trying to do better and it has been a struggle to fight through all of the fog while on the 1000mg. So long and I worked intensely and did not stop even for a moment I usually get through it, but the first moment I take a break, it's over and I'm done. I'm dreaming before my eyes even close.

I don't know what the best course of action would be. Should I talk to my pdoc about adjusting the depakote differently to a different mg that is in between 500 and 1000? I was perfectly stable at 1000 just apathetic and had EDS. At 500 I'm manic. Or do you think there will be need to consider changing meds again? another nightmare? Med changes alway make me feel like i need to be behind wrought iron bars and chained up. That image is viscious.

Clozapine also makes me highly sedated and it is very difficult waking up early. My pdoc added some adderral and that has helped somewhat. Maybe suggest a stimulant or a drug like provigil. Honestly though, the best method is having someone physically wake me up.

• Like 1

The issue is, sometimes they can't wake me up. There are times when I am in such a deep sleep that I am paralyzed and cannot move at all. I might be able to hear them trying wake me up, but I cannot always respond to it. It isn't all of the time, but it hjas happened several times.

I think you should try what your DR said in the first case, then give your body time to get used to it.  That side effect (feeling sedated) may go away. in time. 

9 hours ago, Rabidtears said:

it's just overwhelming thait feels like I have to choose between stability and the ability to function!

^^Sometimes this is the case, choosing stability vs the ability to function.  It sucks to have to do that though. 

Edited by melissaw72

The not being able to move but being alert thing might be a serious side effect.  I don't know if this is worth anything but I took ambien CR for... ever.  And a while ago I had to do without it for a weekend (Forgot my luggage) and I've been sleeping without it.  I honestly thought I was going to be taking that forever so things can change.  And while I totally understand fears of changing meds and having to deal with different side effects or poor results I would say you could do a lot better and it would be worth some fussing around with them.   If nothing else I think its really important to let the doctor know whats going on so she/he can assess things.

And I'll end by saying I am not an expert anything so this valuable advice is actually just my 2 cents worth. 

You said you were "worried you'd go back to the way you were before"?  What was that?  Were you hypo, suicidal, manic, mixed, whatever?  I have found that with my bipolar, stability breeds stability.   When I've been manic, I go to suicidal for quite some time, before I get stable again.  Also, since lithium about eight years ago, stable as the grave.

I understand and sympathize about the Depakote.  I only ever took it when hypo because stable, it was *depressing as fuck" and gave me unfortunate side effects.  If you've been mixed, however, you really might need it for a time.

You're on a fair amount of meds; it really would be important to talk to your doc.  There have been times in my BP that my husband would certainly have to carry me out in a fire, I slept so soundly, always saw that as a GOOD thing, however.  No sleep= psychosis for me.  You need to talk to your doc about this; he's the prescriber he needs to know what's happening and your sx.  Anna

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Blahblah
      Anyone find Zoloft more motivating than Effexor? Any weight gain? (it made me insomniac with psychosis 20 years ago). But meds often act differently over time. I've already done trials (some multiple times) of:
      Prozac (lethargic), Celexa (fatigue/apathy), Lexapro (similar to prozac), Cymbalta (vigilance/restlessness legs, but dissociative mind/feeling), Wellbutrin (no effect), Trintillex (no effect), Remeron (sedating/+appetite), Notryptaline (don't recall), Abilify (++appetite, RLS), ..Doc won't RX MAOIs and says that TCAs typically more sedating effects.
      Basically, I don't want to take more than 3 meds (keeping with Lamictal & Ritalin). I want to avoid A/Ps...I like the calming feeling of Prozac & Effexor, but it's as if I am in this fuzzy cloud and I can't move or do anything, comfortably numb. Totally apathetic, in addition to sexual dysfunction, maybe my dosage is wrong. I'm also considering Viibryd, but don't know if it works on Serotonin...?
    • By mjs190
      I'm currently on a cocktail of Seroquel XR at 600 mg and Lamictal at 150 mg. My Seroquel dose got this high because of a mixed episode, so as of now, thats likely where I'll stay for a while to keep things stable. I was at 400 mg which not only lacked the sedation of lower doses, but also came with a lessened appetite. But that all came back when I bumped up to 600 mg.
      I've put on 10-ish pounds or so in a month, and I'm not thrilled. I asked my doctor for a Metformin Rx to help with the metabolic side effects. She was hesitant, but agreed I may need something and actually leaned more towards Topamax instead. She wants me to try 1 more month of dieting and exercise to see if I can manage without adding another med.
      Now I'm leaning towards Topamax, since maybe it could have mood stabilizing properties to it, in addition to curbing appetite and helping me lose weight. I'm not overweight by any means, but I'm definitely hyper-vigilant about my body and tend to...obsess. 
      Has anyone taken Topamax and found that it (1) helped with appetite or weight control and (2) had positive effects on their illness?
    • By browri
      For those taking Rexulti, I'm curious: Do you take your dose in the morning or at night?
    • By Britton777
      Hey everyone. I’ve been in a bad way for 4 1/2 years when remeron stopped working for sleep and sudden onset OCD (ruminating thinking, intrusive thoughts, looping songs), treatment resistant insomnia, anxiety- stick in fight flight, panic, 24/7 derealization, brain fog and dizziness set in. Over time with symptoms not going away, depression set in. 
      Obviously my meds were not working. I am on day 11 off Zoloft/remeron after a long taper. I and am wondering when these meds will completely be out of my system. Am I out of the woods yet? Or could withdrawal still jet hard?  I’m hoping these meds are part of my problem and some of this hell I’ve been going through will get better. 
      I have felt bad since discontinuation, but I always feel awful, so not sure what’s what. How long does withdrawal typically last? 
      I’m still on 5 mg lorazepam a day (I know that’s a lot and plan to start weaning when I’m ready) 20 mg geodon X2 and 2 mg prazosin. 
      Wondering if my meds could be doing this to me? 
      Ive been on Zoloft for over 14 years, remeron for 8 1/2 years, lorazepam for 8 1/2 years and geodon for 11 1/2 years. 
      As mentioned, I have been wanting to get off Zoloft/remeron (really all my meds) and have been weaning for months off these two, but have been scared to pull the plug. After reading about MAOI’s, which I have never taken and talking to the doctor, I decided to stop to give me the opportunity to try Nardil, but I’m wondering if less is more may be the ticket for me and maybe I should hold off on trying Nardil. I just don’t know. 
    • By sming
      Hi folks,
      "merry holidays" (lol). So here's my current state of play. There are a lot of variables in play which is something I strive to avoid but then life (and things like not getting divorced or fired) get in the way:
      I'm tapering off of Wellbutrin XL. It's 6 days since my last 75mg XL dose (before you cry "it doesn't come in 75mg doses!" I was taking 300mg WB XL / 4. Not ideal, but such is life). I'm tapering off of Mirapex. I've been on 0.125mg since the 14th (10 days). I started L-Methylfolate at 10mg (perhaps foolishly - that's a high dose) on the 16th (8 days ago) on the basis that I might have MTHFR mutations. I am shortly getting MTHFR tests done. I started Rexulti 0.5mg 19th (5 days ago). This was reduced to 0.25mg on the 22nd (2 days ago. See below as to why).  In summary, a whole shitload of changes all happening in parallel which is exactly what I try to avoid but as I said, shit happens.
      So here's the real deal. For the last month at least I've been experiencing incapacitating anxiety. The kind that has you in the foetal position in bed, waves of anxiety radiating out from your gut/stomach to each limb. Physical weakness, shaking, incoherence, the works.
      Naughtily I'd previously ordered Valium online an less-naughtily I've got 0.5mg Ativan off of my PDoc. Neither touches the anxiety. This a.m. I tried 25mg Valium and 1mg Ativan and collectively they helped maybe 10%. I was still completely dysfunctional.
      The only thing I've found so far that helps substantially is 2+ large whiskies. Within 20 mins of taking them, I feel human, capable, anxiety-free and "alive". Not high or anything - just "human".
      Without context, that sounds terrible and the easy reply is "you are an alcoholic, go get treatment". But that's BS. Why? because:
      15 years ago I went 18 months dry and it didn't help at all. I was more depressed overall from missing out on all the social engagements. (I was like 25). In Feb I went inpatient where they declared my alcohol intake "the problem", made me abstain for 3+ months and guess what? it didn't help my depression at all I don't wake up crazying alcohol I don't want to drink alcohol I've taken many, many other med regimens where this incredible anxiety is not present e.g. SSRI's , TCA's, MAOI's. It seems something particular to either (or both Wellbutrin and Mirapex). As of tonight I'm dropping the Mirapex, even though it's a tiny dose and my PDoc wanted me to remain upon it. Tough shit.
      As of today I dropped my L-methylfolate intake from 10mg to 2.5mg since I've read that a long-term starvation of L-methylfolate (such as my postulated situation), followed by a "downpour" of l-methylfolate can make you feel even worse. So I'm toning that down.
      Finally, my questions:
      why is it that only the alcohol is relieving this incapacitating, incredible 10/10 strength anxiety? (and I have 20+ years of anxiety to know when anxiety is worth a 10/10 rating) am I exhibiting alcoholic tendencies? i.e. am I an alcoholic are my proposed actions (dropping L-methylfolate dose, stopping Mirapex, reducing  Rexulti dose) along the right tracks? any other advice? Curled up in bed throughout Christmas, in bed, with 2 young kids is killing me. Concurrently so is the prospect of requiring alcoholic rehab.
      Some subjective insight would be a golden Christmas present from you to me.
      Thank you, Pete