CrazyBoards.org

Hey, new here. I was just put on Seroquel 25mg (among other drugs) to help me with some paranoia and sleep-related issues with depression. I'm wondering how safe/unsafe alcohol is with this medication. Should I avoid drinking after I've taken it for the night, or should I avoid drinking altogether while taking this medication? I know I -shouldn't- drink with the depression and all that, but I have to live the day-to-day, too. I want to know what the reaction between this drug and alcohol is. I'm not looking for the answer that alcohol furthers my problem at-large, I have a psychiatrist to tell me those bits.

I take 100 mg. and I don't drink more than one drink @ a sitting. Alcohol and Seroquel don't mix too well from what I've heard so I don't push the issue. I don't think we are suppose to drink on it.

I don't think it's a good idea to drink with -a lot- of medication.  But we all do it.  So far I haven't had any problems with alcohol + seroquel....but I don't exactly drink very much.  Just be careful. ;)

I've tried it, but you don't get very far, because you fall asleep.

Edited by JBella

My pharmacist emphasizes that taking alcohol and Seroquel together is BAD BAD BAD, so I don't. I was never much of a light social drinker, and I think we all can agree that getting hammered on an atypical would be about as intelligent as wearing fetishist bondage gear to an office job interview. I just don't drink ever. I tend to disregard the no grapefruit warning, though. I, too, am on a fairly low dose of Seroquel, so I just make sure there's a significant window between grapefruit-eating and pill time. My inner citrus-lover pleads "just a little bit can't be that bad, right?"

Hmm, well look at it this way.

I am now on 60mg Paxil (a high dose), 40mg diazepam (a fairly high dose) and 10 mg mianserin and alcohol is no problem.

But when I went through a seroquel trial:

1) I didnt feel like drinking

2) I think it would have knocked me senseless.

I was only on 50mg a day from memory.  I intend to try it again, upping to about 100mg.

The zombie like effect you get from low doses does pass after a few weeks, so its highly possible that drinking in moderation is fine once you get used to the drug. But in the early stages, you are so bombed (from my experience) that drinking would only bomb you more.

Yeah, that's true.  You really don't feel like drinking.  I, the former "hey, let's drink until I pass out under the neighbor's car!" pass up drinks, now that you mention it.

That's because Seroquel has been used to effectively treat alcoholism.

Ahah! That explains it very clearly. I haven't  'yearned' for a drink for quite a while. May force myself to just one to be sociable but it's doesn't seem necessary. Thank you.

I used to take Seroquel and my pdoc said I could have 1 drink spaced away from the Seroquel. I've been a wine with dinner person forever and would miss this added touch. No alcoholism or desire for a buzz, just a nice drink with dinner.

I'd follow the advice of your pdoc and pharm though. My pdoc knows my meds+disorders and probably took that into consideration in ok'ing the small doses of alcohol for me.

I am on seroquel 25mg and I will have 1-2 drinks max but I drink probably no later than 8pm and I take my meds at 12 or 1 am so there is alittle space. Do not drink on it after you have taken it, give it some time for the alcohol to pass through your system. I have read that it takes 1 hour per drink. When in doubt call your pharmacist.

Erika

I'm really surprised to hear that Seroquel has off-label uses for alcoholism, because it did nothing to stop me from wanting to self medicate. I wasn't an alcoholic, but there was a point where I wanted to feel better so I made a concerted decision to drink and drink and drink. And drink. Somehow, even on the Seroquel, I got away with it. Topamax, however, finally hit the receptor that medicated me proper-like and now I'm a normal person again. Well, at least as regards alcohol consumption. I still wander in circles and talk to myself in public. At least I'm sober when I do it!

I read the instruction guide that comes with the meds from thepharmacy. It states in bold letters-DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WITH SEROQUEL- not "avoid" alcohol, but big no no.Anyway , heard from a few sources that one beer is ok.

Well the other night I had about 3/4 of a beer and I was going to take some pictures and I couldn't load film into my camera. And this should of been an easy task for me. I also couldnt talk right. So- NO ALCOHOL ON SEROQUEL- for me. YMMV, but looking at Jerod's thread about ser. and alc. scares me. Mel

Personaly speaking Iv found if I drink with serequal (im on 450mg) it makes me rea\lly sleepy!

Best to discuss with your perscriber.

x

Guest Salden

Personaly speaking Iv found if I drink with serequal (im on 450mg) it makes me rea\lly sleepy!

Best to discuss with your perscriber.

x

Tried it with even a little wine. I get migranes. Bummer.

I turn 21 on the 24th. I was just placed on Seroquel. I was planning on getting a small drink for my birthday. Guess I won't now. ;)

Guest adam

im on 25mg a day of seroquel n i drink really the only thing it does it intensify the meds n the alchohol

Guest adam

im on 25mg a day of seroquel n i drink really the only thing it does it intensify the meds n the alchohol

I was told by my psych that I could have ONE drink but to make sure that I drink Seroquel at least 2 hours after and not a moment sooner.

One time tho, I totally forgot that I already drank Seroquel (50mg) and I went drinking with some buddies. I ended up drinking around 7 bottles of beer... after that, I could barely keep my eyes open.

I usualy take 25mg of Seroquel at night for troubles sleeping, and I have had no problems mixing it with Alcohol. If I am not drinking I usually take it about 2 hours before bedtime, but if I wanted to drink I would just simply take my dose closer to my bed time. that way I could drink as much as I wanted to, take Seroquel 30-60 min before I went to bed and have no problems at all.

Also I have found Seroquel has had no effect on my desire to drink alcohol.