CrazyBoards.org

Guest Guest

My husband is on 525mg of Efixor and 3500mg of Epillim a day for Bi Polar and Depression. He has just started on 100mg of Seroquel a night because he goes up to 72hours at a time with no sleep.

He is an alcoholic who didn't drink for 30 years but he has started again ............. he has lost 30kgs in the last 3 months as well............... I am concerned what alcohol is going to do when mixed with his meds.

He just says " It is OK.......I am fine" ;)

Guest Guest

I've gotten hammered plenty of times and taken my 200mg of seroquel. No bad side effects except the usual hang over.

All of the meds plus the alcohol have potential central nervous system depressant action. Slowed thinking, loss of motor control, depressed breathing are typical. Alcohol can "potentiate" the meds, making the reaction much worse.

Everything in his life is a strong reason why he shouldn't drink: Being alcoholic, being Bipolar, his meds, his weight loss.

A weight loss of 30kg/65lbs in 3 months borders on life threatening if not otherwise explained. I suggest you contact his psychiatrist and GP to let them know of his behavior and these developments. He needs to have bloodwork to check his kidneys and liver function if not done recently.

Take care of yourself. Consider attending a 12 step program like Al-Anon to help you deal with things.

Best, a.m.

Guest Christan
I've gotten hammered plenty of times and taken my 200mg of seroquel. No bad side effects except the usual hang over.
I started the stuff on friday. 50 mg a night for sleep. Not sure how much higher I care to take the odes. Alcohol no problem matter fo fact now I can drink since I can sleep .Oherwise I feel really bad after few and cant sleep combined. I look forwayrd to being able to go out and join in festivities that I have abstained from since my insomnia and uneasiness. To that person who is turning 21. Hey dont be silly. Have something special .Peace

Guest stkpercussion

I've been on Seroquel (200 mg) for a little over a year now. Fairly recently, I had my first drink since starting the drug. It gave me a severe headache. I am on a quite a few other medications (Lithium, Tofranil, Lamictal, Effexor, Klonopin), so I can't be sure which med, if any, caused the headache. I didn't do any research, and now I'm scared to try drinking again. Definitely check with your doctor.

Guest Guest

I'm on 500mg and get hammered once a week with buddies, no side effects. Hammered is subjective, so I'd say I drink around 1 pint of 80 proof liquor,

Guest Guest

I usually drink on my mood stabilizers I usually end up calling my psychiatrist and he tells me to take around 200-500MG of Seroquel. I'm pretty sure its alright to drink on.

I notice that the folks who say they are getting hammered on a regular basis while on AAPs or mood stabilizers and think it's a fine thing are random guest posters from who-knows-where. If they're just here to screw with the nutjobs, they'll still be safely anonymous while you're feeling sorry.

Guest anarchy1

It's an interesting topic for me because I've always really, really worried about it. I have been on Seroquel since I was about 14 years old, so during my teen years I didn't much think about it. And being a teen, I had my fair share of exposure to alcohol.

I had been pretty darned hammered before, but I always made sure not to take Seroquel anywhere near the time I'd be drinking. This was relatively easy since I take a single dose of Seroquel before going to bed. I'm currently on 200 mg and have been for at least 2 or 3 years now. I've done a lot of drinking and haven't really noticed any side effects.

There was ONE incident I recall where after getting really drunk on tequila I had a pretty bad panic attack. I hadn't had any Seroquel in at least 12 hours at that time, and was going through some very rough stages in my life. I had been feeling off that entire day. So I don't know if I can blame it on Seroquel. I do know I blame it on tequila and drinking a large amount of alcohol when you're not in your comfort zone. I should also mention I'm diagnosed panic syndrome, so panic attacks aren't terribly uncommon to me, I had just been going for a long time without one.

I don't know...coming up on a decade taking Seroquel and only one possible time anything bad ever happened--Sounds like a pretty good record for me, but everyone's different.

I do avoid alcohol though after that one experience--it was terrible, and I kept having panic attacks thereafter for another few months. I have to say, in general people such as us with mental disorders ought to avoid it. I love the taste of fine beers, wines and whiskeys, but I have to keep it moderated. Alcohol can send me into some bad places, and unfortunately the kind of doors it opens in the mind are often very difficult to close.

Stay safe guys and gals.

Guest TChicken

I am enrolling in a clinical study on Seroquel for alcohol addiction. I haven't started taking it yet, I have a second appt. tomorrow. They tell me it should kill the "craving" and help with the anxiety from withdrawal. I currently take .5 mg of lorazepam when I have an anxiety attack. my attacks have been more severe over the past few months especially after a heavy (2 shots and 6-8 beers on a standard day) night of drinking.

My biggest fear is that the seroquel won't alleviate the anxiety. Are the people taking 25mg taking it for anxiety?

Seroquel really helps with my anxiety. I'm at 50 mg now but started at 25. I was getting drunk every day before I started it. I no longer want to drink because I feel awful for days after, even after just one glass of wine. Good luck to you!

Guest Guest

I am enrolling in a clinical study on Seroquel for alcohol addiction. I haven't started taking it yet, I have a second appt. tomorrow. They tell me it should kill the "craving" and help with the anxiety from withdrawal. I currently take .5 mg of lorazepam when I have an anxiety attack. my attacks have been more severe over the past few months especially after a heavy (2 shots and 6-8 beers on a standard day) night of drinking.

My biggest fear is that the seroquel won't alleviate the anxiety. Are the people taking 25mg taking it for anxiety?

Yes, me ;), Seroquel works pretty good in alleviatting anxiety, unfortunately it's terrible when mixted with alcohool. In my case it didn't work on shutting off the crave for alcohool ( i'm not alcoholic- at least i think i'm not - but i drink currently , mostly on social basis , 2-3 times a week), instead when i drank and took seroquel afterwards (and i'm only on 25 mg) i felt like a zombie the whole next day - very "not inserted in the reality "and the anxiety was really high. So now, i skip seroquel when drinking(even so, i get drunk more quickly and having headaches after only 2 beers ).All in all , is no fun drinking while on seroquel.

Good luck to u !

I did a quick scoot about on the net and it appears that it is not recommended to drink in the first 1 - 2 months of taking an AP but after that time a small amount is ok.

However mixing alcohol with AP's could increase the chance of psychosis. Plus AP's do put a strain on the liver which would be increased with alcohol - maybe not noticeable short term but long term could cause liver damage.

Drinking to excess - that is over the recommended units - 14 units for women/ 25 units for men a week - isn't healthy for anyone and could suggest an underlying problem. Substance abuse is common with personality disorders and other MI's - possibly as a dysfunctional coping mechanism.

If resisting alcohol is an issue maybe this is something that could also be discussed with your pdoc or if it's really a problem maybe contacting a local AA group may be helpful.

Hawk

Guest Guest_Lisa_*

I take seroquel 25mg for sleep and I have drank on it before and it was just fine but the other night I was drinking had about 10 beers and decided it would be a good idea to take the seroquel right after drinking all of that. I woke up 4 hours later in a cold sweat I couldn't see straight, my body was shaky, I felt very sick to my stomach and I got up to go to the bathroom and I got that vision you get when you stand up too fast but it wouldn't go away until I laid back down on my couch, I couldn't walk and I threw up. I was shaky and had a pain in my chest for the rest of the day and was very tired.

It was the worst experience of my life.

Guest Bard Child

I take 50mgs of Seroquel and I had like a beer and half (Guniness) and it's been a been almost two hours since I drank and I've been drinking a lot of water.

Will it be ok to take my meds?

I take 50mgs of Seroquel and I had like a beer and half (Guinness) and it's been a been almost two hours since I drank and I've been drinking a lot of water.

Will it be ok to take my meds?

For most but NOT all psych meds, 1 or even 2 beers (esp. American 3.2% alcohol beers) isn't likely to cause as much of a problem as skipping the Seroquel. The usual caveats about not operating heavy machinery or driving apply.

Driving:

I couldn't drive for a whole week after starting Seroquel (25mg twice a day). It took a while for my brain and body to adjust to the new med. I tried to drive twice but had to pull over and stop because my legs were too weak and my head was too faint... I had no one to call and pick me up so I had to drive home... it was very scary and dangerous. Now I drive short distances to the train station and shops because I feel it is safe but I would not feel 100% comfortable driving long distances or country roads. I am all too aware that every time I use a car I am taking a slightly greater risk than people not on APs.

Drinking:

I used to drink but it results in depressive symptoms for me which last up to a week after drinking so it is just not worth it for me. I drink sensibly and generally only at celebrations or events. Now that I've started taking Seroquel I've made the conscious decision to cut out even these drinks in the future... it's not something I find that attractive anyway so it's not a big ask for me personally.

Smoking:

I'm interested that no one in this thread has mentioned the link between Seroquel and smoking. In the past I read that APs such as Olanzapine may actually help people quit smoking. I accepted that this might be the case for some people, but as I had been on maximal doses of Olanzapine and not felt any significant anti-smoking effect, I believed I was not one of these people. However the moment (literally) that I started taking Seroquel I was not interested in smoking at all, and when I tried to enjoy smoking I just felt sick. I went from about 8 a day down to 1 a day and now, a couple of weeks later, I am up to a few a day (still significantly less than 8). I feel that it would be a lot easier to quit if I wanted to (but I don't at the moment).

Guest depressedmike

im tired of being depressed and life in general.

I plan on taking 2000mg of seroquil and lots of alcohol and jumping of the 20th floor

I sure hope I dont survive

Guest Guest

I might be anonymous...but I've been taking a massive dose (600 mg) of Seroquel at bedtime for 4 months, and I drink (to get drunk) on the weekends...no problems whatsoever, but I have experienced no side effects from even this massive dose except the occasional constipation.

Other people might not be so lucky as far as tolerating the medication.

I might be anonymous...but I've been taking a massive dose (600 mg) of Seroquel at bedtime for 4 months, and I drink (to get drunk) on the weekends...no problems whatsoever, but I have experienced no side effects from even this massive dose except the occasional constipation.

Other people might not be so lucky as far as tolerating the medication.

Well I'm not anonymous. Other than my recent experiences, and I'm going back to Seroquel, I was taking 600mg (prescribed 800mg).

I was able to drink normally on Seroquel. That meant a couple of drinks, no problem. A couple of times (turning 30 this year) I drank more and was okay.

BUT that said - I was also the girl who found that lithium stopped me from getting hangovers. I don't drink so much anymore, b/c while I'm not an alcoholic, unless it's some wine with dinner with my bf, I'm not good at just having one drink. I think it's part of me being BP, I start to drink, I start to 'turn on', and I love that feeling, but I have a hard time controlling it. My tolerance is pretty low right now b/c I don't drink much anymore so that controls me more effectively than anything else.

I think we all, or a lot of us, have the habit of going 'whatever' with very strong medications because we become very used to taking them, and taking them at high dosages.

But that doesn't make them any less powerful or strong.

How alcohol and Seroquel mixes is probably individual. BUT - it's not worth the risk to go out and get plastered. Err on the side of caution!!!!!

This thread reminded me of how scared I was when I was first diagnosed and trying different meds, and the thing that scared me the most was the medications! I've become blase over a few years of trying different meds, and that's not actually a good thing.