CrazyBoards.org

heard botox can cause anxiety?

I searched Pubmed and came up with one citation:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...l=pubmed_docsum

The title indicates that depression/anxiety was related to the loss of feeling and muscle control, not due to effect on the brain.  Unfortunately no abstract or article is availble.

This article relates that the use of botulinum toxin for treatment of wrinkles is "Extremely safe".

Only 25 articles were found using the search  "anxiety, botulinum toxin".  Out of 25 only the two above pertained to the use of botox in treating wrinkles. The remaining articles related that the use of botox either improved anxiety levels or had no effect when used to treat the following disorders:  Tourettes, Spasmodic Dysphonia (voice), Myofacial Pain, Hyperhidrosis (sweating), Urogynecology, Cervical Dystonia (neck), Tardive Dyskenesia.

As far as mechanism of action this explanation was found:

Direct central nervous system effects are not observed, since BT does not cross the blood-brain barrier and since it is inactivated during its retrograde axonal transport.

This shows that botox cannot act on the brain to effect anxiety level. 

a.m.

• 3 years later...
Guest moomin

It took me 6 years of getting Botox to realize that every time within 12 hours, I experienced sudden and severe insomnia, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and a rapid slide into depression. I have always been very even keel, not terribly moody, and sleep like a champ, so the difference is drastic and obvious, and certainly not psychological. Suspecting the connection, I began to keep "mood charts" over the last 2 years, documenting what happened to me after having Botox. The link is absolute and very clear -- it's the Botox that is causing the problems.

If you search message boards, MANY other people have experienced exactly the same thing. Doctors and Clinicians deny such "side effects" are common, even real, and yet they are being widely reported all over the internet. The problem is, because we do not expect such a response to Botox, we do not directly connect the reaction.

It has quite devastated my life -- leading to a misdiagnosis from a Psychiatrist, and eventually taking 5 dangerous mind-altering medications to "treat" the misdiagnosis. Of course, my "mental illness" strangely went away every time the Botox wore off, but try explaining that to a Psychiatrist! Once I realized what was really going on, I weaned myself successfully off all medications working with a Naturopathic Doctor, and a Nutritional Psychiatrist (yes, they exist!) -- and of course I stopped having Botox.

I think it will be years before the true effects of Botox become apparent. I wonder if there is any link between the drastic increase in RXs for sleeping pills, anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants in the last 10 years -- and the advent of Botox during the same period. It's hard to know -- because these side effects are not disclosed by the manufacturer of Botox -- so Doctors don't know to expect or look for them. They automatically dismiss them as probably psychological, when clearly they are not. I think the key problem is people probably don't realize Botox is doing this to them, because a) they don't expect it, and b) they want to focus on the positive outcome of Botox.

Until more people speak up -- and file "adverse event" reports with the FDA as I did -- nothing will change. You can file an "adverse event" report here: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medw...atch-online.htm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LIsa North

It took me 6 years of getting Botox to realize that every time within 12 hours, I experienced sudden and severe insomnia, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, and a rapid slide into depression. I have always been very even keel, not terribly moody, and sleep like a champ, so the difference is drastic and obvious, and certainly not psychological. Suspecting the connection, I began to keep "mood charts" over the last 2 years, documenting what happened to me after having Botox. The link is absolute and very clear -- it's the Botox that is causing the problems.

If you search message boards, MANY other people have experienced exactly the same thing. Doctors and Clinicians deny such "side effects" are common, even real, and yet they are being widely reported all over the internet. The problem is, because we do not expect such a response to Botox, we do not directly connect the reaction.

It has quite devastated my life -- leading to a misdiagnosis from a Psychiatrist, and eventually taking 5 dangerous mind-altering medications to "treat" the misdiagnosis. Of course, my "mental illness" strangely went away every time the Botox wore off, but try explaining that to a Psychiatrist! Once I realized what was really going on, I weaned myself successfully off all medications working with a Naturopathic Doctor, and a Nutritional Psychiatrist (yes, they exist!) -- and of course I stopped having Botox.

I think it will be years before the true effects of Botox become apparent. I wonder if there is any link between the drastic increase in RXs for sleeping pills, anti-anxiety meds and antidepressants in the last 10 years -- and the advent of Botox during the same period. It's hard to know -- because these side effects are not disclosed by the manufacturer of Botox -- so Doctors don't know to expect or look for them. They automatically dismiss them as probably psychological, when clearly they are not. I think the key problem is people probably don't realize Botox is doing this to them, because a) they don't expect it, and b) they want to focus on the positive outcome of Botox.

Until more people speak up -- and file "adverse event" reports with the FDA as I did -- nothing will change. You can file an "adverse event" report here: [link=https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm" target="_blank]https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medw...atch-online.htm[/link]

Guest Guest

Until more people speak up -- and file "adverse event" reports with the FDA as I did -- nothing will change. You can file an "adverse event" report here: [link=https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medwatch/medwatch-online.htm" target="_blank]https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medw...atch-online.htm[/link]

Guest sista

Until more people speak up -- and file "adverse event" reports with the FDA as I did -- nothing will change. You can file an "adverse event" report here: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/medw...atch-online.htm

I was wondering if your Nutritional Psychiatrist is in the NY/NJ area?

• 2 months later...

Hi, Just read your entry. I have had the same symptoms but didn't know if it was realated to all the other problems I was having in my life. What did you do to get over the insomnia and anxiety? How long did yours last after receiving the botox injections? I made the mistake of getting botox yesterday and then read this posting, now I'm even more anxious about what I did.

• 3 months later...

I am also doing research as to what is going on with me! I totally think that it is the Botox. I had my first injection last Thursday. I immediately started having headaches that still continue on a daily basis. I developed a fairly large raised "bump" at one of the injection sites. I started having tremors, chills, and 3 days after, ended up in the hospital with a "panic attack". My ears were ringing, I was very disoriented (putting trash in the fridge, and milk in the closet) and my heart would race one minute, then beat very slowly the next. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack! I have had chest pain and headaches ever since, and just today felt like I was going to have another attack. I really don't feel that this was a panic attack. I plan on checking into this further. I can't imagine living with this for an extensive period of time.

• 2 months later...
Guest April

Wow! I am so excited to find someone with a similar story! I started having anxiety and panic attacks shortly after my first time to have botox injected in my forehead(2 years ago). I wondered if there was a connection but at that time was unable to find anyone on the internet with a similar story. I continued having it done over the next 18 months. And continued having on again off again bouts of General Anxiety Disorder. I just was NOT the same person. And I have always been a happy go lucky person that has never suffered anxiety or depression a day in her life! Unfortunately I never journaled the time line of my anxiety bouts and botox injections. But I would always wonder based on the timing of the anxiety bouts if there was a connection. However, I also thought maybe there was a connection to my large caffeine consumption. So I gave up caffeine for about a year, but still had the anxiety on and off. The last time I had anything done was about 6 months ago and I decided to try dysport instead. I noticed some of the anxious feelings, but I also noticed a weird consistent shooting pain on the right side of my head. I decided that I was done with putting this poison in my body. I haven't had any anxiety for months despite going back to my large daily caffeine consumption. I am not a doctor, nor have I spent much time with a doctor regarding these issues. But I know my body, and I strongly believe there is a connection between botox/dysport and my brain. If anyone would like to contact me on this matter, feel free at gxcgirl@hotmail.com. I also started going to a derm doctor and having lyra and aura lasers performed on a regular basis. The effects are not quite as good as botox, but I have definitely noticed some good tightening and lifting from it. AND no anxiety! So it's good enough!

• 1 month later...
Guest rebecca