CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin and Bipolar

I was on Wellbutrin once about a year ago to try to counteract the side effects of my Lexapro.  I was having anxiety attacks, and probably hypomanic or something.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with taking Wellbutrin?  I was also wondering if the Lamictal may keep me level, so the Wellbutrin wouldn't make me crazy.  I am having trouble with my weight, and was hoping that switching to Wellbutrin would help me lose it (Im doing Weight Watchers and not seeing much in weight loss).  Of course, I will ask my pdoc when I see him, but I know alot of you are knowledgeable about this stuff.

I have the exact same problem. I would love to take Wellbutrin because:

I need an antidepressant that doesn't aggrevate my rapid cycling

I need to lose weight

I need to stop smoking

BUT, Wellbutrin made me hypomanic too, and my pdoc is very hesistant to give it to me again. Even though I'm on Lithium nowadays, and I wasn't back then. So it should be safer, right? My pdoc doesn't agree, sadly.

Let me know what your pdoc says, ok? I'm really interested.

I just started wellbutrin yesterday. I'm on 100mg in the morning. Obviously no effects good/bad yet. My dr. actually wanted to give me effexor but i've read quite a few bad incidents with that stuff, so i said no way. I've been reading and reading about wellbutrin and thought that was the best for me.

From what i understand a good number of people tend to loose a good deal of weight from it. (i'm in it for the weight loose too, i gained 20-30lbs on depakote in a matter of weeks.) I have also read (and my dr. told me) that anxiety is a possible side effect of wellbutrin. That is suppose to go away in a matter of weeks, soon as your body gets used to the stuff.

I'm crossing my fingers that this is my miracle drug!

WB was a good drug for me. My pdoc had me on Paxil (close relation to Lex) and WB for awhile until my BP depression subsided. It didn't cause any mania problems. As soon as I was stable with the depression he tappered off the WB and left the Paxil.

I am back on Wellbutrin again after some severe reactions to Luvox that kept me out of work for over two weeks.  I still am on Abilify and a lowered dose (20 mg.) of Lexapro.  Also klonopin PRN and restoril for sleep

im on wellbutrin along with a load of other things... im not doing too well right now, but im not sure that i can attribute that to the wellbutrin at all.  the one thing i know that it is responsible for is the fact that i have drastically cut down in smoking...

I've taken Wellbutrin and then Wellbutrin SR in doses from 300to 450mg with varying doses of lithium (900 to 1800mg) on and off since '92 or so. It's always been FAIRLY effective for me (as long as I don't need a "real" antidepressant.) Wellbutrin has always seemed to me to be more of a mood stabilizer (preventing a slide into depression) than a real antidepressant ala sertraline or the like. But that's just me. Side effect wise it's been good but I tolerate phenylethylamines (amphetamine relatives) VERY well Hehe. Some dry mouth and I also noticed that when I switched to the SR form that I smoked less and then spontaneously quit. No one had told me that bupropion in a long acting form was being marketed for smoking cessation. So that was cool. Good luck with you med change I hope it works for you. Oh yeah, weight wise I don't think it's made any difference for me.

I have been on Lamictal for half a year now and I feel normal- no mood swings.  I do not have anxiety problems so it may be different for you, but I am good on Wellbutrin.  I lost weight on Lamictal and never saw a difference when I started Wellbutrin.  I am about 10 lbs lighter than I was half a year ago.  My weight goes up and down.  For the first time in my life, I have been thinking of quitting smoking.  I have cut down and I will probably quit soon.  I am on 450mg today.  I was a little UP when I started Wellbutrin but it went away.  A little agitated.  Good luck!

It took me forever, but I did see improvement on Wellbutrin, but then again that could have just been where I was at in my cycle. It did help me realize that serotonin wasn't my problem. SSRI's have been nothing but crap for me.

I didn't notice any weight loss effects, but I started on epival shortly after and that made me gain 30 lbs.

Well, I don't have much advice, except give it a try.

Good luck.

Ameth

Wellbutrin gave me my diagnosis; I spun out badly on 300 wellbutrin and no mood stabilizer, with mixed state mania, delusions and a touch of psychosis.  My next pdoc (I ran screaming from the first one) started me on depakote but was loth to stop the wellbutrin for fear of too much change at once.  Depakote squished my moods enough that I kinda needed the wellbutrin with it, and did OK, with mild-to-moderate anxiety and irritability, for 5 years.

Switched to tegretol, then increased wellbutrin to 450 trying to counteract the crushing tegretol depression.  Started lamictal and seemed fine, but soon after my last dose of tegretol started spinning out badly again.  It got better when I increased the lamictal to 300 and dropped the wellbutrin back to 300.

Anyhow, wellbutrin monotherapy is evil for me.  Wellbutrin + effective mood stabilization is OK, though my current pdoc would like to get me off of it eventually.

BTW, I haven't lost any weight due to either lamictal or wellbutrin.  I'm a lazy shit, though, so I probably deserve what I get.  Though depakote apparently screwed up my insulin metabolism, and I'm getting all menopausal, so who knows what that's about.

Oh, and another BTW: wellbutrin does at least as much with dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake as serotonin.  It's not an amphetamine, either, though it has been used recreationally by some because a stiff dose apparently works like speed.

Archived