CrazyBoards.org

anti-convulsants and cognitive side effects

i know this is a regular question asked, but i wanted to ask it anyways.....

for each one of you, what anti-convulsant seems to have the less side-effect on cognitive functioning.  Right now i'm on Gabitril at a very low dose, and when i take the Gab i just become so so minimized cognitively.  Thus, i cant take it during the day (after about 8-9 hrs of it wearing the cognitive side effects diminish, though i cant just take this at night time.....for i'm having anxiety reactions during the day because the half-life runs out on me...so i'm lookin for somethin that i can possibly take during the day, or possibly take at night and not have the half-life issue occur).

thanks

I've only been on 3 - Topamax, Lamictal and Lyrica.  The least cognitive side effects would have to be Lamictal and Lyrica (although I'm only on a small dose right now).  Topamax made me dumb as a rock.  I could not finish a complete sentence.

thanks all, i did some diggin through the search function and found a study posted by another c-board'r.....which stated that through a study of around 159 people, the anti-convulsants that had the least cognitive effect on the individuals in the study were in this order: (1) Lamictal, (2) Trileptal, (3) Lithium, (4) Topomax, (5) Depakote, and (6) Tegretol........ I am in the mind to try Lyrica, though i dont know if my p-doc can prescribe it to me...i havent asked her about it yet, but what i saw from FDA approval letters, Lyrica had not yet been approved for the treatment of anxiety disorders......though i wonder if my RLS would fall under the disorders that it is approved for....anyone have a clue to what the deal is with being able to prescribe such a med? do you have to have a specific disorder to get it prescribed for you?  If not Lyrica then i may try smaller doses of Neurontin or Trileptal and see if i can get by...

thanks all....

After the first few months I actually did really well cognitively on depakote.  After 5 years it screwed up my hormones, so I had to switch.  Lamictal is marvellous for my cognitive functioning; even though I'm still having some minor depression my head is incredibly clear. 

I'd just caution you to remember that YMMV.  If I remember right, what that study ranks is not how the med affects everyone who takes it; it's about the likelihood of having cognitive problems on that med.  Some people do great on depakote or lithium; some are all blurry and flat on lamictal.  You won't know how you react to a med until you give it a full trial, which means dealing with any initial side effects and seeing how you come out the other side.

thanks all, i did some diggin through the search function and found a study posted by another c-board'r.....which stated that through a study of around 159 people, the anti-convulsants that had the least cognitive effect on the individuals in the study were in this order: (1) Lamictal, (2) Trileptal, (3) Lithium, (4) Topomax, (5) Depakote, and (6) Tegretol........ I am in the mind to try Lyrica, though i dont know if my p-doc can prescribe it to me...i havent asked her about it yet, but what i saw from FDA approval letters, Lyrica had not yet been approved for the treatment of anxiety disorders......though i wonder if my RLS would fall under the disorders that it is approved for....anyone have a clue to what the deal is with being able to prescribe such a med? do you have to have a specific disorder to get it prescribed for you?  If not Lyrica then i may try smaller doses of Neurontin or Trileptal and see if i can get by...

thanks all....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am being prescribed Lyrica off-label for migraines by my neuro.  My pdoc knows that I am taking it and has heard of it but hasn't prescribed it to any one, so he is curious as to how I will do on it too (I feel like a guniea pig).  I have experienced a little decrease in anxiety.

Hi!

I've only been on Tegretol Retard (the European extended release) and Trileptal Retard, and have to say that the latter is the best one seen from a cognitive point of view. Unfortunately it stopped working for me after six months or so, so now I'm back on Tegretol Retard. I prefer foggy over black and blue from seizures... ;)

H.

Archived